Variations on a Jewelry Theme

by Debra Lowe.
(Colorado)

Variations on a Jewelry Theme by Debra Lowe  - featured on Jewelry Making Journal

Here are the baby chickadees

I bought this adorable baby birds pin, about 3 inches wide, at an estate sale.

I was planning on altering it to a necklace pendant.

Here are baby bluebirds

Then I started seeing all the different baby birds that it “could” possibly be.

So, I made a simple silicone mold of the pin and did several (actually 4) different pendants with different babies.

Here are the Baby Robins

I used clear resin, then hand painted the birds, then decided on their destination.

Using various stampings, beads etc. I SO dislike repetition, they all had to different, different birds, and different perches.

And here are the baby blackbirds

Still have not decided what I will do with the original pin…maybe nothing~

Debra Lowe
Rosebuds n Pearls

• Rena Klingenberg says:

Debra, so much creative vision from the initial source, and so clever to recreate the baby birds so you can have baby bird jewelry in many different ways.

• Dawn Carpino says:

That is so inventive. Love it. What is a silicone mold?

• Joanne Kane says:

Very clever. Your work is beautiful!

• Debra Lowe says:

I make my molds with the mold putty you can buy at most craft stores or on line. One is called “Easy Mold” and the other I have is “Amazing Mold Putty”. They are two part and mixed together, instructions on the packages. You press the object you want to make into the mold putty then when it’s set, you can easily take your object out…TaDa a mold you can use over and over again.

• Debra Lowe says:

Thanks so much Joanne.

• Debra Lowe says:

Thanks Rena, I meant to also include a photo of the original pin, sorry about that. Creating feeds the soul…but you all know that already~

• Judith says:

Hi Debra. I went on your site and did not find the ‘birds’. I love the unique designs you offer. Thanks for sharing.

• Carolyn says:

What a great idea, I see Christmas tree ornaments in your future with that mold.

• Nita says:

I. Love. These! Birds are an absolute favorite of mine. As to what to do with the original piece, would you consider framing it? It would be a great little accent tucked in somewhere. I have framed jewelry, unique buttons, sea shells, etc., in mini frames in many vignettes.

• Debra Lowe says:

Hi Judith and thank you for looking and liking what I do. Oddly after I submitted the birdies, to JMJ, I sold the bluebirds. I have the other three ready to add to my shop, it’s been a busy few weeks so I have to get back on track. They’ll be up soon, I apologize. Thanks again for your kind words.

• Debra Lowe says:

OMG…stop, I hardly have time to do all I want…and getting up there in years…you do it👍

• Debra Lowe says:

Oh thanks so much, I do have so many little treasures framed just like that. We think exactly the same, old buttons are a fav to frame. But always make a mold first…I may use the original in a necklace design for moi. When I was a sculptor I made the mistake of not keeping my work, now that I can’t anymore, I learned from that mistake.
    Thanks again, D.

• Diana Redlin says:

I love what you did with your baby birds. They all so different just as you wanted. My favorite is the baby blackbird necklace. I keep for-getting to make a mold of my favorite vintage stampings. So you have inspired me to get on with that. Thank you Debra 🙂

• Cynthia says:

I love all of them. So clever, and all the designs are beautiful.