Easy Folded Wire Ring Tutorial

by Rena Klingenberg.

Easy Folded Wire Rings Tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Folded Wire Rings - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Three brass folded wire rings by Rena Klingenberg.

These folded wire rings are so simple, cheap, and fun to make!

Folded Wire Rings - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Two copper folded wire rings by Rena Klingenberg

You need only a few inches of wire and basic jewelry tools to make these.

Folded wire copper ring in brass by Rena Klingenberg

Folded wire ring in brass by Rena Klingenberg

They are comfortable and easily adjustable to fit a variety of finger sizes.

Supplies for Folded Wire Rings:

• A piece of 18-gauge round wire – about 7″ to 10″ (17.78 cm to 25.4 cm) long. (I used copper and brass wires in my examples here.)
  • A ruler.
  • Wire cutter.
  • Round nose pliers.
  • Flat nose pliers.
  • Chain nose pliers.
  • Ring mandrel, dowel or PVC pipe section – or other item that’s about the same diameter as your ring-wearing finger.
  • Nylon or rawhide hammer for hammering your ring on the mandrel.

Copper folded wire ring by Rena Klingenberg

Folded Wire Ring Tutorial

Why are these called “folded wire rings”?

Because you’ll start out by folding your piece of wire (in one of the ways I’ll show you below).

The folded wire creates a double-strand ring band (ring shank).

After forming the shank, you’ll have the fun of using your pliers and your creativity to shape your wire ends into an infinite variety of designs for the top of the ring!

Three Ways to Fold Your Wire:

There are probably a lot of other ways to fold your wire too!

Below are the three ways I’ve folded my wire to create the ring shanks shown in this tutorial.

I find that I end up with better ring designs when I DON’T fold the wire exactly in the center.

Having one wire end longer than the other allows for more interesting designs for the top of the ring!

Experiment with different lengths and see what you come up with.

Wire Fold Method 1 –
The Flat Fold:

The flat fold enables you to make a beautifully simple, compact double ring shank.

To make your flat fold, use the very tips of your round nose pliers to bend your piece of wire in a U-shape:

Folded wire rings tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Then use your flat nose pliers to squash the U-shape as flat as possible (that’s why it’s called the flat fold!):

Folded wire rings tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Wrap your flat-folded wire around your ring mandrel, and use your hammer to pound the shank into a nice ring shape.

Hammer starting at the folded end, then moving around to the wire on the back of your mandrel, and on around to where your wires meet up with the fold.

DON’T hammer your 2 long wire ends yet, or you won’t be able to curve and shape them easily.

Here I’ve wrapped the flat-folded wire spiral-style around the mandrel:

Folded wire rings tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Then remove your wire from the mandrel. It should look something like this:

Now comes the fun part!

Use your pliers and your imagination to create artistic shapes with your two long wire ends.

Here I’ve used my round nose pliers to turn the longer wire end into a large, open spiral – and the shorter wire end into a little curl:

Folded wire rings tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

After you’ve finished designing both of your wire ends, put your ring back on the mandrel and give it a good hammering all over – including your fancy wire design.

Hammering the fancy wirework will ensure your design will curve naturally around the top surface of the wearer’s finger.

And just as important, the hammering will harden your wire design and make it sturdier:

Here’s a view of the back of my ring after hammering it all over; notice how the fancy wirework is curved just like the rest of the ring:

A Different Option for Your Flat-Folded Wire:

Instead of wrapping your flat-folded wire in a spiral around your ring mandrel, you can wrap it so that the two long wire ends straddle the fold:

Folded wire rings tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

I created this ring from a flat-folded wire that I wrapped around the mandrel straddle-style.

See the flat fold, right in the middle of the ring, and how the two wire ends straddle it:

Folded wire rings tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Here’s a side view of the same ring:

Folded wire rings tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

And a back view of it; you can see what a nice double ring shank you get with flat-folded wire:

Wire Fold Method 2 –
The Round Fold:

The round fold gives you a lovely, airy, open-work double ring shank.

To make your round fold, use the fattest part of your round nose pliers to bend your piece of wire into a U-shape:

Folded wire rings tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Then wrap your wire around your mandrel, and hammer just the shank portion of your wire (as described above under “Wire Fold Method 1 – The Flat Fold”).

This is a round-folded wire, after being wrapped straddle-style around the mandrel (with the two long wire ends straddling the round fold):

Folded wire rings tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

The ring below was made with a round-folded piece of wire – and it was wrapped around the mandrel spiral-style (NOT straddle-style).

See the wide round curve on the top spiral of this ring:

Copper folded wire ring by Rena Klingenberg

Here’s another view of this ring, showing how it looks when worn (if you have a pale-blue finger ๐Ÿ™‚ ):

Wire Fold Method 3 –
The Square Fold:

The square fold gives an interestingly angular look to your ring.

If you shape your two long wire ends into curls and swirls as I’ve done, the square fold is a nice contrast to the curves.

The square fold is also nice for more masculine ring designs.

To make your square fold, use your flat-nose pliers to bend your wire into a square U-shape:

Folded wire rings tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

This is a square-folded wire, after being wrapped straddle-style around the mandrel (with the two wire ends straddling the square fold):

Folded wire rings tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

This ring was made with a square fold:

Folded wire rings tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Another view of the same ring; see how the angles of the square fold make a good contrast with the spirals:

Folded wire rings tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

This ring was also created with a square fold and wrapped straddle-style around the mandrel:

Folded wire rings tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Another view of this ring. Here you can see the effect of having your two wire ends in different lengths:

Folded wire rings tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Of course you can add extra elements to your folded wire rings – such as beads, oxidizing / patina effects, and all kinds of other jewelry techniques!

Folded wire rings tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

And if you’re interested in an even simpler wire ring design, be sure to see my super-easy Wire Wrap Rings Tutorial.

Want to Learn the Basics of
Designing Your Own Wire Jewelry?

Design and Make Artistic Jewelry Components Class In my Design and Make Artistic Jewelry Components video class, you’ll learn how to get great ideas for wire jewelry designs – and then follow my easy system for turning those ideas into successful pieces of jewelry.

By the end of this online video class, youโ€™ll be designing and making your own artistic earwires, clasps, connectors, and pendant bails.

You’ll also learn my tips for making wire jewelry more easily, with more professional looking results.

• Michelle L. says:

OMGosh, those are wonderful, Rena! I love the variety of shapes you made, and the rings look so chic and expensive. Beautiful post.

• Those are fantastic rings! Gorgeous work. thanks for posting!

• Rae says:

Wow – they are absolutely beautiful and you make it look so simple!

• Divya N says:

these are super duper fantastic…I am doing a wire jewelry collection now and I would love to incorporate (and experiment a lot) these ideas in it

• diane says:

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this! I always wondered how this was done. Not that I could do it even with the tutorial, but still great inspiration! Found you on the IMM blog hop.
    Diane

• deb says:

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the tute!
    *hugs*Deb

• I think you did a great job with all the desings you came up with!!!

• Crystelle says:

All three of these are so pretty and so amazing! You are one talented girl!
    Thank you for sharing how you make them!

• Shiloh says:

Wow! so very cool! Do they bend out of shape easily when wearing them?

• Thanks so much to all for your lovely comments!

Shiloh – if you hammer the finished ring very well on your mandrel, it will become quite sturdy. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Melysa says:

Rena, they are all truly lovely!

• These are beautiful! I have just recently learned a little about wire wrapping, and I really want to try doing some of these, great tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

• Jennifer says:

Do you start with dead soft or half hard wire? I have been making rings with dead soft and even with hammering ( work hardening) I’m concerned that the rings are too easy to bend out of shape. I have not had any complaints but I’m wondering if half hard would be better to start with.

Thank you for the article.

Jennifer

• zoraida says:

I love these! They are simple, artistic, comfortable and elegant. I used to wear lots of rings but now I find them uncomfortable. Working with wire all the time and arthritis have taken their toll. Rings like these are so easy to wear and look great on the hand. I’ve sold similar rings right off my hand so people do respond to these designs very well.

• Nakishia says:

Rena – I love, love, love these! Thanks for sharing.

• Paula says:

I love these. I am going to try and make napkin rings with this design. I haven’t worked with wire so this wil be a starter for me. Thanks for sharing.
    Great designs.

• Love these. I know what I’ll be doing this afternoon!! Thank you.

• Neha says:

All the shapes are really cool. I am definitely going to start working with wire now.

• Thank you all so much for your generous comments!

Jennifer, I have used both soft and half-hard wire. If you can form the wire into the shapes you want with the half-hard wire, that’s probably a sturdier choice. But if the half-hard is too difficult to shape, then I’d go with the soft wire.

Zoraida, I love hearing about your experiences with making, selling, and wearing rings like this. One thing that I love about these is that they’re totally adjustable. My fingers tend to be different sizes throughout the day (swelling / shrinking a bit), and I find adjustable rings so much more comfortable than ones that are just one size.

I think adjustable rings are also easier to sell, because they can fit a variety of fingers! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Felicia says:

Thanks for posting this. I recently started making wire rings, They are quick, fun, cheap and best part my customers love them! This has just inspired so many more ideas! YAY!

• I love this site and just told my friend about it.

• liz love says:

Rena, I know you are a marvelous blessing to many of us for sharing such beautiful creations. Truly you are a jewel, I hope you know this. The Tutorials inspire me to do even more… Thank-you much!

• Natasha says:

LOVE them! So pretty and so simple – now I have another idea(s) to add to my huge “I want to try that” list. Thank you for the great tutorial and the follow up comments to clarify things.

• Love this tutorial – thank you! The rings are so great and I’d love to make some for gifts.

• Judy says:

What beautiful rings. Super tutorial. I would love to try this one. Thanks for sharing at DIYbyDesign.

• Lois says:

Rena thanks so much for sharing, I have a show in less than two weeks these would be perfect….take about timing!! I still needed some quick and easy items for the table.
    I so enjoy this newsletter each month thank you for all your hard work

• These are gorgeous! I love them all! Not sure if I could make them but they sure are beautiful ๐Ÿ˜‰

• What beautiful rings! Seems easy enough to give a try, thanks for sharing at tip toe thru tuesday!
    xoxo
    kim

• Jessica says:

Beautiful!!!!!

• Nancy says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this tutorial, Rena. I have had so much fun this morning playing around with the ring and variations.

• Marie says:

These are so simple yet so beautiful!

• Gayle says:

Wire is probably my favourite jewellery making medium and I can never go past a tutorial about wire rings. These are totally gorgeous! I read something really interesting somewhere that I thought I might share. Because our fingers are not round, a nice round ring is sometimes difficult to get on over the knuckle if it has to then fit your finger. To remedy this, squeeze it so that the ring becomes slightly oval. When you put your ring on, turn it 90 degrees so that the longer oval part fits over your knuckle (which is usually wider than it is high). Once past the knuckle, turn the ring back 90 degrees and it will fit on the skinny part of your finger but won’t slip off over the knuckle. So simple, but so effective!

• Kerry says:

They are beautiful! I want to make some of these, my college kids would love them.

• soumya says:

OMG!!!! they are awsome… too good…

• Wow! Those are so pretty! I’m pinning them!!

• Very interesting and very beautiful! Thank you so much for making and sharing your tutorial!

• These are beautiful. Great tutorial
    Debi

• Kathy says:

Hi Rena! How pretty! I especially love the pic of the first ring. I love the flow of the open ended swirls. Thanks for sharing, you rock =) Kathy

• Pam says:

I LOVE these folded rings! I’ve made a few wire rings and they have sold well, and are somewhat adjustable – but if stretched larger, they would get somewhat out of symmetry. What I love best about these is that if they need to be adjusted larger or smaller, the design will still look just right. DEFINITELY going to try these out this week! Thank you Rena for another fabulous idea, and for sharing it with us! Great designs!

• Cathy says:

Love your folded rings and your really shared a great tutorial. Very lovely and like how they are adjustable without losing integrity.

• Very funky. I actually like all the styles. Thank you for the tutorials – I’ll have to dig out the wire some time – it’s been too long!

• I can’t wait to get started!

• Cindy says:

What can I say that hasn’t already been said. Coming up with these simple and clever designs and then sharing them with us makes you and your newletter such a success! People love rings, especially inexpensive rings. I can’t wait to try this and incorporate them into my product line. I never make rings small enough for very young girls and I see that I will be able to do this with this style. As always…AWSOME!

• What a great tutorial. Love all the different looks of these rings!

• Rena,
    Again these are beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above

• Wow… great rings… every time I think I have seen all the ring styles there is to see someone comes up with a new idea.

Can’t wait to make some.

Just fabulous… I really enjoy your web-site Rena!!!! Thanks for sharing!

• Angela says:

creative,feminin,beautiful!
    I made those rings. THANK YOU for this page. Keep doing fabulous jewlery! You helped me a lot!
    Yuupiiii! Hugs!

• Pauline says:

Rena, I’ve been making very similar rings and found a supply of pretty colors of aluminum wire in the floral section of craft departments. I’ve used purple, red, turquoise and gold colored wire. I have added charms, beads and such. They are so much fun to make. Thank you for your designs. I love the folded wire design. Love your stuff!

• Tara@Tales of a Trophy WIfe says:

Gorgeous! Pinning. THanks so much

• Laurie Bishop says:

Fantastic tutorial! Thank you so much. I tried one of these with 14ga wire, easy by no means, but was pleased by the results (now, if I can only learn how not to mark the wire)!