The Earrings That Aren’t

Jewelry and Coffee with Rena
Video Episode 1

by Rena Klingenberg.

Below is another look at “the earrings that aren’t”. Also I didn’t mention their size in the video: 1.75″ (4.4 cm) tall x .75″ (2 cm) wide.

front view of the earrings that aren't - Rena Klingenberg

Front view of the earrings that aren't (after I removed the earwires), by Rena Klingenberg.

back view of the earrings that aren't - Rena Klingenberg

Back view of the earrings that aren't, by Rena Klingenberg.

Is it possible for me to use these together – but not as earrings?

I’d love to hear your thoughts!

The Jewelry Rena’s Wearing
in This Video:

Necklace: Faux turquoise donut on adjustable leather cord by Rena Klingenberg.

Earrings: Crazy lace agate, manmade sea blue chalcedony, and bronze-colored copper wire by Wired Orchid Jewelry.

• zoraida says:

Hi Rena
    I loved having coffee with you this morning and your new website is awesome- so easy to navigate and attractive. It was great seeing you in the video – It feels cozy and personal.

The earrings are really beautiful and I wouldn’t want to separate them or take them apart either. The wrapping is so perfect and matched. I would probably include them both in a necklace design.

What if you created a center focal out of anything that would compliment the earrings and stones (perhaps out of wire, ceramic or something like that) and put an earring on either side. I would probably make a hanger, put them all fairly close to each other and hang them from a simple chain/cord. Just a thought.

You’ve got my creative side going now with this and I have to get to my sketch pad.

• Good morning Rena,
    Great video and great idea to ask for advice on this. First I would try putting them on post earrings so they do not pull down so much or my other idea is to make some kind of Larait necklace so they still hang together
    one just slightly to the side and above the other like in your photo.

• Joan says:

Hi, Rena. I loved watching your video, listening to your story, and thinking of a solution to your problem. I may have come up with something for you.

A friend of mine has pierced ears and has been wearing pierced earrings her entire life, but the earrings have had to be very light because one of her piercings isn’t quite right and a pierced earring with weight pulls down on the hole so much that it’s not attractive nor symmetrical with the other ear lobe.

She has been wanting to wear fun, fashion jewelry with stones and crystals and has not been able to due to the weight of these type of earrings. She approached me and asked me if I could make her a pair of earrings using clips! I have, and she is extremely happy now and can wear lots of fun, weighty earrings without any problem!

Do you think you could convert those pierced earrings into clip earrings? That would solve your problem!

• Tamara says:

Hi Rena,

I love your new website too! And I agree, it’s nice to be able to see you and hear you talk to us! Thank you for all the neat stuff in this issue too!

I had the same idea as Zoraida basically about your earrings – I would incorporate both of them into a necklace. You could do it like she suggested, or you could do a beaded necklace and put something between them, so you have 3 elements hanging off the necklace (it would almost be like they were hanging as earrings, except lower down on your chest).

With the weight, you’d just have to make sure that however you did it, the weight was balanced and not pulling at the back of the neck.

• Cindy says:

Hi Rena,
    I also really enjoyed having coffee with you. It’s very nice to put a face and voice with the name. For the earrings, you didn’t say what type of earring wire you used.

I have had luck with heavy earrings on studs with those large round plastic backs that snug right up to the back of the ear (not the little ear nuts).

It seems people can take a heavier earring that way. You are right, it is a shame to break up that lovely work. I’d have to try to incorporate them into one necklace if they truly could not earrings.
    Good Luck!

• Hi Rena,
    I am enjoying your new website and the videos.
    The earrings are so pretty and I would want to keep them together. Besides including them both in one necklace how about making 2 separate necklaces.

You could offer them as a ‘Friendship Pair’ to be sold to two close friends or to a mother and daughter.

Every time they wore their necklace they would think of the other person and feel special knowing they had this one-of-a-kind design. Paige

• Adriana says:

Hi Rena, congratulations on your new website, it is much easier to navigate into. Love the video, it makes you will feel like you are part of it. I have a pair of earrings that I inherited from my mother but I lost one of them and now I wear the one I have as a pendant, using a nice chain. Maybe you can try to use both of them and make a nice necklace.

• Barbara says:

Love the new look of the site, Rena! And really love this video feature. My coffee is Italian cappuccino made with Lavazza Crema e Gusto. Cheers!

Just how heavy are those earrings? I have customers who are very tall, big women, and they can wear — and are looking for — pretty heavy earrings. At the same time, I get many, many requests for earrings to be broken up (often from men) and one part turned into a pendant. Now I even plant that idea when chatting with new customers browsing my table.

I agree also that the only answer would be to find another pendant, larger than the earrings and of a similar pattern, and place the earrings to dangle on either side of a new centre pendant.

Please let us know the outcome!
    Barbara

• Helen Cooper says:

Hi Rena, I love your new site! It’s so much easier to use!

Now to the problem you are having with the stones. I would love to see them used as the center stone on a pair of barefoot sandals for the summer. Very boho look and eye catching.

All you need to know is a very simple macrame knot tying to make them. I believe you would receive many compliments when you rock these on the beach this summer!

• Christa says:

Hi Rena, congratulations on your new website. My idea would be as most of the posts suggest to hang them on a chain. Find the same stone in a slightly larger size or a stone with the dominating colour of the earrings to put in the center of the earrings.

• Bev Ludlow says:

Hi Rena,
    I empathize with your dilemma, but having encountered similar scenarios, here’s my advice from an older woman (that would be me). Put aside the desire to keep them matched, lovely as they are; put them on chains, and sell the two pendants.

Result: money in your pocket, no more encountering them every year wondering what to do with them, or puzzling about them, thus 1 less stress in your life.

• Mary Anne says:

Hi Rena,
    First of all , just want to say, You inspire and educate me so much!

I have seen earring “cuffs” where the wire hooks on to your whole ear…and big drops earrings dangle behind the lobe. Its very “Boho” and often, the dangles are many, giving an exotic look. I have seen that sort of thing sold on etsy. Its for folks who don’t want to make multiple piercings, but want to sport big and bold earrings. Or they puts studs in their ear piercings, but have the curvy cuff dangles behind. I hope this makes sense.

Another thing I envision, is a long unconnected chain …with your beautifully wrapped stones at each end. Perhaps they can wrap around the neck and let the 2 ends fall at different lengths upon the chest. Add some tiny dangle drops , and you are done.

Another idea is to design a choker type necklace, Instead of having both drops hanging symmetrically and filling in the rest with little dangles…create an asymmetrical piece…and load the choker with more lush sterling wire wraps, and a few smaller stones. Go for the big and bold look to the extreme. Its not for everyone but it would make a dazzling eye catcher at shows. I often design asymmetrical jewelry. More artsy….but customers ARE out there.

Definitely a little different and unique. Hope this helps! I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Oh, I just want to respond about the clip style. I let my ear piercings close up (unfortunately). So all I can wear now are clips. If its really heavy clips hurt too. Also, if you do not have a high quality clip finding, the earring can fall right off if its too heavy. I would stay away from clip styles with very heavy earrings. Not worth the hassle or worry they earrings will be returned yet AGAIN.

• Sharon Solt says:

I like the idea Paige suggested – a friendship pair of necklaces… or as someone else suggested using a third element in between the two earrings on a necklace.

They are very unique and just lovely. Love the new site… It’s nice putting your face and voice to your name!

• Lynda says:

Congratulations, Rena, on the new, sleeker look. I love it! And what a joy to wake up and have a cup of coffee with you this morning.

I have no new thoughts about these troublesome, but gorgeous earrings, but do like the suggestion for a lariat style necklace the best or necklace with off-set drop double pendants.

I’m sure you’ll come up with something spectacular soon.

Lynda

• Alayne says:

I have been a follower of yours for a long time and I love the new site. Your ‘earrings that aren’t’ are gorgeous (one of my favorite stones). I think they would be stunning on each end of a beaded lariat style necklace that was simply ‘tied’ in front with one stone dangling lower than the other.

Thank you for all you do for the jewelry making community!
    Alayne

• Delia Stone says:

Rena,
    Love the new look of the website. My suggestion for the Earrings that Aren’t is to sell them as a set of pendants. I cannot tell you how many times I have had individuals custom order matching pendants for twins, best friends, or loved ones who share the same birthday – or even just the birthday month. Market them as a set of matching pendants and see what happens. You mirhg be surprised!

• Dorothy Hubbard says:

Hi Rena,
    Love the new site and watching you. It is so good to put a face with a name. The earrings are just beautiful as a pair but I agree with Bev Ludlow, do separate necklaces.

• Jill says:

How wonderful to listen to your story, it was like finally meeting a long distance friend face to face.

Love the new format as well! The earrings that aren’t are beautiful indeed. I really liked Helen’s idea of using them as focal stones for boho summer sandals.

How about using them on a leather or chain belt, or on a brooch perhaps? That way you wouldn’t have to separate the stones.

• Leslie says:

Great to see and hear you.

I would make a choker neck wire with twisted wire (as Dale Armstrong teaches in her DVDs and book) and use these as a pendant (sorry, I know it separates them).

I am currently making chokers out of 16 gauge colored artistic wire (purple, dark blue, black, green, etc.) and then hand-wrapping them with silver or gold 20 gauge filled or artistic wire, wrapping the ends around the hook ends.

They are very attractive and easy to attach a pendant onto with a bail (often hand made wire wrapped/looped onto the middle). I have even used a clasp on the pendant that can detach the pendant so you can wear the choker separately or attach another pendant.

• Sheila Davis says:

Love the new website! I agree with the asymmetrical design. A gemstone necklace with a cluster of dangles including your beautifully wire wrapped stones hanging at different lengths.

• Claudette says:

Hello Rena,
    Those earrings are so beautiful. I love the wire work that you have done on them. I had an idea of how to keep them somewhat together.

Make a pendant with each one of them and sell or give them to someone that has a set of twins. It would make a great gift if the twins like sharing alike things.

I love your site. Thank you for sharing.

• Shari Lyn says:

I love your new website and it was so nice to see you on this video! I think everyone has come up with some great suggestions for the earrings.

I just wanted to say I myself am tall and seek out larger earrings, as Barbara mentioned.

I have one customer who like myself, doesn’t have pierced ears. I’ve made several pairs of clip-ons for her, using fairly large stones. Some of the clip-on components can be a bit pricey in a good quality, but are worth it.

I don’t feel the earrings are heavy when worn, and my customer has not had a problem, either. You did a beautiful job wire-wrapping on these, and the stones are exactly what I myself would wear.

I am sure you’ll sell them after you decide what you want to do with them.

• Bev says:

Hi Rena,

I suggest making the earrings into a ring and bracelet – perhaps using leather for the bracelet.
    Thanks for your site.

• Dawn Piepenburg says:

Love, love, love this new format. Love to see a face associated with your wonderful sites. Also, I am visual (as are most artistic people), so seeing you on video will also put your picture in my mind when I read things that you have written.

I had thought of the earrings that wrap around your ear and can handle heavier stones. I also love the lariet idea — maybe make it out of woven leather, long enough that it can also be a wrap belt, as well has a double wrap necklace. Also people are wearing a lot of leather wrap bracelets today, so it could even work as a bracelet. Three gifts in one!!!

• Thank you all so much for your thoughtful comments and kind praise of the new website! I feel so much more organized having our jewelry topics all under one “roof”, and I love that the platform here is vastly more modern.

And I appreciate everyone who had coffee, tea, juice, etc. with me via video – a fun sort of digital breakfast.

Wow – I can’t believe all the really fantastic ideas suggested here for using The Earrings That Aren’t! I’ve been looking at these 2 wire-wrapped stones for about 6 years and NEVER thought of most of the things you all came up with here.

I’m going to take some time to think about which of the creative options here would work best with my wrapped stones. It’s nice to feel inspired about them for a change!

I’m actually a bit excited about their potential now. I’ll keep you posted on the fate of The Earrings That Aren’t!

And I’d love to hear more ideas for things to do with them, if someone thinks of any.

Thanks so much to all!

• Tamara says:

Hi Rena,

I was just thinking, another thing you could do would be to make them available for custom work (they’ve had so much exposure now!), either online or otherwise. Since the goal of making our jewelry is to get it into the right hands (the connection, experience, etc.), see if someone really connects with them and wants a particular thing done with them. Of course you would have to feel good about what they want done.

I know whatever you end up doing will be beautiful!

• Marilyn Estenes says:

I personally always wear earrings myself but I do not have pierced ears. With my ability to buy jewelry supplies I have a big personal collection of earrings I’ve made or pierced ones I’ve bought that I’ve changed out with clip on’s.

I tell my customers I can change any pierced earrings they see into a clip-on. Your earrings are lovely! Turn them into clip-on’s and I would buy them for myself! I think anyone who makes and sells earrings should carry a supply of assorted metal clip on’s and jewelry tools when they sell and post a sign that their designs can be changed into a clip-on while they wait.

There are still women out there who love earrings, do not have pierced ears and have difficulty finding interesting earrings to wear. Since your earrings are heavier, that is a perfect solution instead of dismantling them. End of dilemma if I were making the call!

• Pam says:

I would like to second Paige’s idea! (Scroll up!) I love her idea of the “Friendship Pair” of necklaces. Somewhat like those split heart necklaces that are shared between two very close friends, sisters, cousins, etc.

Also like the idea of embellishment for sandals, but I believe that if worn on the feet, so close to the ground, with dust,dirt, etc. – they would quickly tarnish – or they could be oxidized first to get past this.

Love your new video feature, and look forward to the next one! We all feel that we sort of “Know” you, but this was like sitting at the kitchen table an chatting – love it!

• Cindy says:

I have 2 ideas.
    First – Wrap a larger coordinating focal, preferably a square or triangle and hang both “earrings” off the bottom 2 corners and use as a new focal element for a necklace.

Second – Make a very long chain mail necklace (preferably European 4 in 1) and anchor each end with one of the “earrings.” This can be worn as a lariat style necklace or wrapped around the neck (as if a choker) with the ends coming back around the front and dangling.

If long enough, it could even be worn as a decorative belt. I made something similar for my son’s drama teacher with drama masks as the end pieces.

• lee-lee says:

Couldn’t you sell them them as a pendent set? Like a mother/daughter set, that way techincally they wouldn’t be “split up”. The mother/daughter, sisters, best friends, maybe even husband/wife, etc. could both enjoy your wonderful work and maybe even pass the sets down and they could be enjoyed for years to come.

• Deb says:

Hi Rena, I love the new web site. And the Coffee segment is great. Look forward to more of that.

Have you thought about turning them upside down as a sort of “heart” pendant? Maybe use the bail loops to hang similar beads?

• Hi Rena,

I would suggest that you sell them as two pendants a mother/daughter set, or as friendship set.

• michelle thompkins says:

Rena love the new website!
    As for the earrings that aren’t; You could have one of the stones on ashort chain about 16-18″ long and then have a connecting chain (also from the clasp but make it detachable) 22-24″ Then it can be sold together but be worn in 2 different ways.

• Yvonne says:

Shoe clips

• Kathie L says:

Greetings, Rena: I loved, loved, loved your “Coffee w/Rena!” What a WONDERFUL addition to your already AMAZING creations….. As far as your earrings go, I suggest that you consider selling them as a “Mother & Daughter” pendant set for Mother’s Day – with a little card on each about their story….

Thank you for your amazing new site! I LOVE IT!

• sue hahn says:

I would love to see them made up to Mary Anne’s suggestion of ‘boho’ cuff earrings, or the open ended chain idea. So many great ideas from people!
    If they were separated, I wouldn’t worry – 2 people would have the enjoyment of lovely stones in lovely settings.

• helen says:

Cuff bracelet of memory wire with ‘earrings’ stretched between the 2 memory wire loops.
    Tassel – a big one. Use the ‘earrings’ as part of the dangles on the outside of the wrap with teardrop beads longer and on the inside.

Tassels look wonderful on a large chest or a tall person. My 1st love in beading is stringing so I would bead a necklace from which the tassel would hang.

• Elena A says:

Hi Rena,
    your “earrings that aren’t” really are something!They’re beautiful and the wrapping is very elegant, I can see why you don’t want to split them.

Here’s my idea: why don’t you turn them into matching keyrings? If you display them together in a nice box they will make a beautiful gift for newlyweds moving to their first home or for a couple of frinds who just bought a brand new car…

• Nancy says:

Hi Rena,
    Love your website, newsletters, great information, and video! After reading most of these comments, I think if it were me, I’d go with a lariat style of necklace with a leather cord. The pair won’t be split up and they can dangle at different heights giving interest πŸ™‚

• I would make an asymmetrical neck wire (10 gauge wire) and hang one earring from a spiral high about the level of the collar bone and one hanging lower on the chest.

• Have you thought about turning one upside down, laying the two together and while keeping the symmetrical wire frames they have, make a new larger frame that incorporates both stones into one larger bolder pendant or Brooch?

• Hi Rena! Fabulous new website…I’m lovin’ it!!

Those stones are gorgeous & I know you hate to break up the set, but I think they make great individual pendants. Think about it…they’re really only asymmetrical if you view them side by side, as a set. But to keep them together I love Kathy McChesney’s idea of using them on a lariat necklace that would celebrate their asymmetry.

• Barbara says:

Just like everybody else, I want to tell you how nice the new website is. You should be proud of the great job you did.

As for the earrings, I had 2 thoughts. 1st was like a lot of other posters, make a statement necklace- find a complimentary stone for the center & have an earring on each side.

My other idea is to see if it’s possible to hollow out the back of the stones, kind of like you do with hoagie rolls when you scoop out the center of the bread. Then they could stay earrings.

• Eileen says:

Hello,
    Thank you for all your hard work & wonderful ideas through the years your generosity is inspiring.

I’ve read each idea you were sent and they are all terrific! But the one that smacked me in the heart was the lariat necklace idea. As a long time lapidary buff I see those two rocks dangling on a fairly wide β€œmat” black or very dark brown leather cord so as not to detract from the stones and wirework.

Even more striking would be a long, wide ribbon of mat leather that would slip through the wire loop at the top, a regular leather knot would be great or you could create an attractive knot design, either way would stabilize the rocks as they hug the chest when in motion.

P.S. I enjoy your new site very much!

• Evelyn says:

Hi Rena,
    Love your site! In regards to the “earrings that aren’t”, think about a faux lariat. With a beautiful sterling center bead joining the two side wires and the “earrings” on shorter strands below, the beads would stay “right side up” like they would if used as pendants. I also love the idea of friendship necklaces. I just may add some to my inventory!

• RIVKA LEVY says:

Hi Rena. I agree with all the comments on your new site. I love it, and love your very pleasant and calming voice. You make a good company to have coffee with…no more Starcucks for me..ha ha!

As for the earrings ideas, yes, I have a beautiful pair of really heavy, hand made strling silver and coral bead earrings I purchased years ago from the Heard Museum in Arizona and never could wear them for more than 10` or so. I decided to use them as double pendants, same idea suggested on your site, with one hanging lower than the other but close to each other for a stunning effect.

They hang best from an omega, and I wear them a lot and get many compliments too. I can see your beautiful earrings in a similar idea. Good luck and thank you for all your great teachings and ideas. Rivka Levy

• JanMarie says:

Rena – Love the coffee-sharing, and the new format.
    The stones in those earrings have such a wonderful, earthy look to them, that I would be more inclined to use them in a non-jewelry setting.

I can envision them dangling on either side of an elephant or camel. If the elephant figure was large enough, one each could be that part between the eyes just above the trunk on a pair. They could part of a hillside scene or better yet, a walkway where the stones are for stepping on and the silver casements become part of a (silver) parkside bench coming up from the stones.

I can see an ornate building entrance with the stones (laid out horizontally) as door decorations, the part of the silver that would have connected to the ear wires would be the door handles. Just my weird imagination.

• Linda Bradley says:

Just found your website today and I love it. I am just starting to market my cuff bracelets and your site has lots of great information.

• Kimberly says:

Just viewed your videos 3,2,1 with my morning coffee, what a wonderful, and inspiring experience on a Sunday morning before I’ve even gotten fully awake. I was thinking along the same lines as Paige. To sell them as pendant pairs, to mother/daughter, sisters, best friends. That way they are still a pair in spirit.

• Claudie says:

Create a shadow box using the earrings as the focal point with complimentary background and additions of your choice. Offer for sale as an item of decor.