Enchanted Bubble Blowing Wands (Tutorial)

by Rena Klingenberg.

Enchanted Bubble Blowing Wands Tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Enchanted Wire Bubble Blowing Wands - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Enchanted Bubble Blowing Wands – tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

These enchanted bubble blowers are lovely as gifts, wedding favors, birthday party favors, package decorations, Easter baskets, and more.

Enchanted Wire Bubble Blowing Wands - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

They’re easy to make – first you create a wire bubble wand, and then add beads or whatever magical embellishment you wish:

Enchanted Wire Bubble Blowing Wands - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

The bubble wands shown above are two different sizes:

• the small copper bubble wands are approximately 1.75″ (4.5 cm) long
  • the larger brass bubble wand is approximately 3.5″ (8.9 cm) long.

Supplies:

• A piece of 16- or 18-gauge round wire:

9″ (23 cm) long for the larger bubble wand, OR
    6″ (15.25 cm) long for the smaller bubble wand.

I used copper and brass wire; you might also try Artistic wire.

• A 6″ (15.25 cm) piece of 24 gauge round wire, for attaching the beads to your bubble wand.
  • Colorful seed beads (or other beads / embellishments you want to add to your wand).
  • Wire cutter.
  • A file, cup burr, or knife sharpening stone for smoothing off the wire ends.
  • Round nose pliers.
  • Flat nose pliers.
  • Chain nose pliers.
  • Ring mandrel (or a dowel, PVC pipe, pill bottle, chair leg, or other cylindrical object that’s about 0.75″ to 1″ [2 to 2.5 cm] in diameter).
  • Ultra-fine tip Sharpie marker.

Enchanted Wire Bubble Blowing Wands - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

How to Make Enchanted
Wire Bubble Blowing Wands:

These instructions show making the larger (3.5″) wand size.

First, cut your 16- or 18-gauge wire to the desired size:

enchanted-wire-bubble-wands-1

Use your cup bur, file, or knife-sharpening stone to smooth and round both ends of your wire:

zen-spiral-bracelet-2

With your ultra-fine tip Sharpie marker, make a mark about 2″ (5 cm) from one end of your wire:

enchanted-wire-bubble-wands-2

Now we’re going to make the bubble-blowing hoop at the top of your wand.

Of course, you can make it any shape you like – circle, heart, square, oval, triangle, etc. – but I find that the bubbles blow most easily from a circle.

Leaving that 2″ end of your wire straight, wrap your wire around the ring mandrel to form a nice circle (I used ring size 15 on the mandrel):

Make an Enchanted Wire Bubble Wand - Rena Klingenberg

Now with your flat nose pliers, make a bend in the main wire stem below the circle you just made.

We want to center the main wire stem under the circle, like a lollipop:

enchanted-wire-bubble-wands-5

Now your wire should look like this (see how the 2″ end of the wire is straight, and the stem is centered below the circle):

enchanted-wire-bubble-wands-4

Now we’ll wrap that straight 2″ end of wire around the main stem of your wand, right below the circle.

(If you’re new to making wrapped wire loops, or you’ve had trouble making them previously, see my 3-minute video, How to Make a Wrapped Wire Loop.)

Use your flat nose pliers to grip the circle firmly, and use your fingers or chain nose pliers to wrap the 2″ wire end around the stem of your wand:

enchanted-wire-bubble-wands-6

Now use your wire cutter to trim off the excess wire.

Place the flat side of the cutter blades as close as you can to the wire wraps you just made, and snip off the extra wire:

enchanted-wire-bubble-wands-7

Use your chain nose pliers to squeeze down that cut wire end, so it won’t catch or scratch anything:

enchanted-wire-bubble-wands-8

Now your wire should look like this:

enchanted-wire-bubble-wands-9

Now we’re going to make the handle at the other end of your wand.

First, find the mid-point of your bubble wand’s stem, and mark it with your Sharpie marker:
enchanted-wire-bubble-wands-10

Place that midpoint of your wire against your Sharpie marker, and wrap the end of your bubble wand stem around the marker, making a teardrop shape:

enchanted-wire-bubble-wands-11

Use your round nose pliers to bend that teardrop loop enough to center it under the main stem of your bubble wand:

enchanted-wire-bubble-wands-12

Now your wire should look like this:

enchanted-wire-bubble-wands-13

Now for some creative fun!

Use the leftover long end of your wire to design an enchanted look for your bubble wand.

You can make any kind of spiral, swirl, squiggle, etc.

I loosely twined my wire end around the stem to make a magical vine:

Enchanted Wire Bubble Blowing Wands - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

On the smaller wands, I just made a small curling handle:

Enchanted Wire Bubble Blower Wands by Rena Klingenberg

Now embellish your bubble wand!

I used 24-gauge wire and a seed bead mix to add sparkle and color to my bubble wand:

Enchanted Wire Bubble Blower Wand tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

When you’re finished embellishing, your bubble wand is done!

Enchanted Wire Bubble Blowing Wands - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

You can use a commercially-made bubble-blowing solution, or make your own (see recipe below).

Enchanted Wire Bubble Blower Wand tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Enchanted Wire Bubble Blower Wand tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Homemade Bubble Blowing Soap Recipe:

3/4 cup water
1/4 cup liquid dishwashing soap
5 drops glycerin (OR 1 tsp sugar if you don’t have glycerin)

Optional: Add a couple of drops of food coloring for extra magic.

Mix all ingredients together, and store in a container that’s a good size for dipping your enchanted bubble wand into.

Enchanted Wire Bubble Blower Wand tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Want to Learn the Basics of
Designing Your Own Wire Jewelry?

Design and Make Artistic Jewelry Components Class In my Design and Make Artistic Jewelry Components video class, you’ll learn how to get great ideas for wire jewelry designs – and then follow my easy system for turning those ideas into successful pieces of jewelry.

By the end of this online video class, you’ll be designing and making your own artistic earwires, clasps, connectors, and pendant bails.

You’ll also learn my tips for making wire jewelry more easily, with more professional looking results.

• Pam says:

This would be perfect for spring street events! I’d also attach a printed “recipe” for homemade bubble fluid! A quick Google search will bring that right up!

• Cindi says:

I am just sitting down to make some small bead “little” girl bracelets to sell for Easter and this is perfect to match up with a bubble blower. I now have to make a trip to the dollar store for bubbles to give as a free gift with purchase.

• Val says:

What an amazing idea! Any little girl would love these pretty wands over the ugly plastic ones that come with bubble!

• Nancy says:

What a cool idea!! One of these and some bubbles would be a great addition to my $10 bin at the craft shows I attend.

• Mary Anne Enriquez says:

OMGosh…these are AWESOME! What a clever and beautiful idea! Thank you so much!

• Carol says:

I love these!! Someone asked me not long ago to make some party favors for her wedding reception….I didn’t think about something
    like this!!!! Thanks.

• Patti Panuccio says:

a gift for a princess

• Tamara says:

I absolutely LOVE these – they are SO pretty! And everytime you dip them in the dishsoap, it cleans the copper. I’ll bet the wands sparkle as much as the bubbles in the sunshine – hard to know what to look at! 🙂

• Thanks so much for your lovely comments! Pam, great idea to have these at a street fair – and a cool addition would be if you know a young person who could spend the day demonstrating the bubble blowers at your booth.

Cindi, what a lovely idea to pair these up with bracelets! I think that would be an irresistible combo.

Nancy, I love your idea of making these for your $10 bin. You could easily net a nice extra amount of cash from sales of these!

Tamara, you’re right, they do get beautifully shiny from dipping them in the bubble soap. I hadn’t thought of that when I came up with this idea, but during my extensive testing (playing) with them, I did notice how sparkling clean they became.

• Hi Rena

What a great idea! I never would have thought to use wire to make these bubble wands 🙂 The brass wands are gorgeous. I’ll have to try to make these sometime soon!

• Renee says:

I’ve been making bubble blowers for the past 8 years for my granddaughters. Every spring I make up a dozen or so, so they have plenty to share with their friends. If you want to make a double blower just add a second blower about an inch from the first. I make the blowers in all different shapes.

• Such a clearly written and beautifully photographed tutorial. Such a lovely project for children.
    Joy

• I love bubbles and your wands are beautiful! Such a fun idea:@)

• crystal says:

I love these! 🙂

• Dani says:

LOVE this idea — can’t wait to make some of my own! Joining from Inspire Me Monday.

• Stefanie W says:

What a great idea! My little girl would love these!

• These are really darling! They are so pretty with all of the beads and pretty wire, and would be a really pretty party favor!

• Dita says:

Rena,
    Thank you SO much for this lovely idea and such a clear tutorial. I think it would be a hit for summer craft fairs in the $5 or $10 bin and all the friends’ comments are so special too. See what all these heads can do… I am sure to add the recipe for the bubble maker. I’ll add a child’s picture blowing bubbles to draw customers and have one soap bowl to try out and also have some matching bracelets to go with them. Cool.

• Jessica says:

Adorable! These would be a great favor for a fairy party!

• These are adorable!! Popping in from Sarah Dawn Designs pintastic party.

• Savannah says:

Oh I just love this whimsical bubble wand. I adore things like this.

• Ashley says:

These are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing at Mom’s Library!

• Jessica says:

Wow! Those are so pretty! What a great idea to make as a party/wedding favor!

• Sonia says:

What a lovely and unique idea! I love it 🙂

• Shannon says:

I love this idea so much I share it with my jewelry making mother. My girls will be getting special bubble wands with their Easter surprises this year. Thanks for sharing.

• Charity says:

These are adorable. They would make an awesome party favor, easter basket stuffer, or kid gift.

• Awesome! The perfect addition to an Easter basket! Bubbles never go out of style and now you have made them more stylish! Great tutorial!

• WOW these are so cool!!!!

xoxo
    A-

• Phoebe says:

I adore these and your wire wrapping is so elegant. Definitely inspiring, Rena!

• Julia says:

Lovely, lovely, lovely!

• I have never made jewelry before, but with your detailed tutorial I think I may be able to give it a try! I know our readers will love it, too!

• Liz says:

Genius! Thanks so much for this tut! I can’t wait to sell them at my next outdoor show. I plan to add a ribbon at the end. That way it keeps it from getting lost & I think they are too pretty not to wear.

• Linda says:

GORGEOUS! Everything that comes on this site is a step above. Just lovely. Pinned. Linda

• Allison says:

These are adorable!!! What little kid wouldn’t love to have one of these to blow bubbles with?! How fun!

• Annie says:

Wow they are so pretty! I have never seen bubble wands like those!

• Adorable! I am pinning these later! Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

• Sherry says:

So Cute!

• Lovely wands! Very cute!

• Oh this is an adorable idea! I am going to have to make some this summer! Thanks for sharing with us at TTF!

• Pamela says:

What a sweet idea. I can see them tied with ribbon to a bottle of bubbles. Thank you for sharing it at Share the Shelter!

• I love this idea! So cute. My problem is my grandchildren spill all of their bubbles before they can blow them. lol Everytime. Thank you for joining us at Transformed Tuesday this week.

Hugs,
    Peggy~PJH Designs

• Karen says:

Simply beautiful and unique. Thank you so much!

• Lanaya says:

What cute bubble wands!

• Leslie says:

What a cute idea!

• Theresa says:

These bubble blowers are stunning! So pretty!

• Hilary says:

I’ll just add to the chorus of how awesome these look! I’ve shared on Reddit and Delicious!

• Katie Adams says:

Oh these are gorgeous and would be awesome for so many occasions or just to make your girl feel like a princess while she is playing! Thanks for the inspiration!

• Carol says:

I think we all need more bubbles in our lives. These are beautiful and fun.

• I adore these grown-up bubble wands, Rena! Just came over from Carol’s features (that she mentioned right above me), to tell you how beautiful they are! I’ve pinned the tutorial and definitely will try this! Thanks!

• WOW! These are so beautiful and perfect for summer! Thanks for sharing at Michelle’s Tasty Creations. Have a great week!