Flower Power Wire Ring Tutorial (Video)

Jewelry and Coffee with Rena
Video Episode 24

by Rena Klingenberg.

This fast, easy wire ring project is a wonderful way to turn cool buttons into jewelry:

Flower Power Wire Ring Tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

I like this ring’s blend of modern style and old-fashioned charm.

Here’s a close-up view of the Flower Power wire ring:

Flower Power Wire Ring Tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Supplies

Here’s what you’ll need for this project:

• 2 buttons: one larger and one smaller; one or both buttons should be flower-shaped
  • 20-gauge soft round wire, 12″ (30.5 cm) long (I used Artistic wire in “gunmetal” color)
  • Ring mandrel (or a dowel, PVC pipe, magic marker, or other item that’s the same circumference as your finger)
  • Wire cutter
  • Flat nose, round nose, and chain nose pliers
  • Jewelry hammer – plastic, rubber, nylon, or rawhide

For the “how-to” part of this tutorial, please watch the video above.

Flower Power Wire Ring Tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Have fun with this easy wire ring project! 🙂

Want to Learn the Basics of
Designing Your Own Wire Jewelry?

Design and Make Artistic Jewelry Components Class In my Design and Make Artistic Jewelry Components video class, you’ll learn how to get great ideas for wire jewelry designs – and then follow my easy system for turning those ideas into successful pieces of jewelry.

By the end of this online video class, you’ll be designing and making your own artistic earwires, clasps, connectors, and pendant bails.

You’ll also learn my tips for making wire jewelry more easily, with more professional looking results.

• Mary Anne Enriquez says:

This is utterly spectacular. How simple, and easily done. Thank you Rena for sharing yet another of your creative tutorials. I might add though…If anyone is like me…and tends to hammer too hard and too long…the ring grows into a larger size as the wire thins and hardens. Just tap a little bit !

• Andrea says:

Another beautiful piece with an easy to understand tut! With vintage buttons, the possibilities are endless.
    Thank you for helping expand my brain! 🙂
    Andrea

• Rups says:

good one. thanks for sharing!

• Diane says:

I love this, thanks for sharing, I have some really cute small heart buttons that I believe will look awesome made from this tutorial . Thanks for sharing.

• Tamara says:

Love the idea of rings made from buttons. This is a simple process too.

Missed seeing you and your coffee cup this time though! 🙂

• Thank you all for your lovely comments! Mary Anne, I’m glad you mentioned not over-hammering the ring shank – thanks so much for adding that.

Diane, I’d love to see your heart button ring!

Thanks Tamara! I looked like a zombie the day I made this video (I had just gotten over a sinus cold), so I spared everyone from that horror show. 🙂 My coffee cup and I will be back in the next episode! 🙂

• Francine Lebel says:

WOW ! Fantastic. I like it !

• Melanie Allred says:

Hi!!!
    Elizabeth and I just had coffee with you and we think maybe we can make your rings for Easter. Maybe one for Lauren too if we can do it! You have very fun videos!

Love, Melanie

• Hi Melanie and Elizabeth! How fun that you gals stopped by! I’m glad we had a chance to do coffee. 🙂 I hope you have fun with the rings, and I’m sure Lauren will be surprised!

• What a cute idea! I never would have thought to use a button for a ring. Thanks for sharing at A New Creation!

• Kelly says:

Cool! This is such a pretty project. I’ve been really into chunky rings lately.

• Patty says:

I really enjoyed watching you make this ring. It is just adorable! Thank you for the tutorial!

• DesignedByBH says:

I love this! I make button rings, but with actual ring blanks. I love this idea, though. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

• BeColorful says:

I don’t remember you doing a ring before. Very fun and thanks for sharing.
    p

• I have so many vintage buttons and this would be so much fun to try! Thank you for such a great tutorial!

• Megin says:

So cute! Thanks for showing the how to.
    ~ Megin of VMG206

• Leah says:

Great ring – love the use of a button behind the flower. This would be a fun quick project that’s perfect for spring.

• Stefanie W says:

So adorable! Pinning this for later. 🙂

• Another brilliant creation. Love the combination of buttons. Totally pinning.

• So fun and so easy to make. I love it.

• Jessie says:

This is so awesome! I have to find a flower button now 🙂

• Linda says:

I know I’ll always find something wonderful over here!! Thanks for the tutorials. They are so clear and concise. Linda

I’m making this..

• Thank you for sharing this – coming over from Serenity Now!

• This is so pretty and a great use of buttons. You give a wonderful tutorial. Have a wonderful Easter.

Hugs,
    Peggy~PJH Designs

• What a fun way to use a button!

• Ana Lopes says:

Super cute, love it! Thanks for sharing.
    Happy Easter!
    Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft

• how nice, looks so pretty 🙂

• So pretty! I love the color combination. Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

• Pretty!

• Pauline says:

How clever! Love this! I’ll be featuring this post as part of my Earth Day Activities for Kids: Upcycling roundup from the Weekly Kids Co-Op. xoxo P

• Pamela says:

Thank your for making this seem so easy with your wonderful video tutorial. I appreciate the time you spent making it.

• Midge says:

I have seen the button rings with elastic. I like this much better. Thank you.

• Lianne says:

Wow! How simple and how striking! Thanks again, Rena, for another fun, inspiring project!

• Jen Smith says:

Great tutorial. Very easy to follow and nice results

• Kerrie Venner says:

Rena, as ever, generous, inspired and brilliant ideas. I’m going to make polymer clay ‘buttons’ and add the wiring. Such clever ideas….I will share this with newcomers to polymer clay, and point them in your direction, of course.
    Thank you so much for sharing Rena’s Secrets!

• Ooh, fab idea to make your own polymer clay flower buttons for the ring! That sounds lovely, Kerrie! And thank you for your kind comment. 🙂

• Laurie says:

This is really cool! Thank you so much for sharing!

• Cindy says:

Really fun video. Thanks for sharing.

• Ashleigh says:

This is so neat and great for my older daughter! Thank you for sharing!!

• Jann Olson says:

Super cute! My older sis made some rings similar to this and I loved them.
    hugs,
    Jann

• Linda says:

I just love these. Thanks, Rena.

• Very cute ring! Looks like something I could even try to make. I am not crafty.

• Sarah R. says:

Very, very sweet! LOVE making things with my stash of vintage buttons…may have to try this.

• Thank you for sharing, I just had to try it and made one with brass wire and a brass button.
    The brass was hard to get through the opposite hole again, but with a little wiggle and a plier it worked. Next one I will try with artistic wire. 🙂

• Debbie says:

You are so clever, I love the ring!

• Debbie, thank you so much for your lovely comment! 🙂

• Sharla Scovel says:

This is really cute! I have saved buttons for years. This is a project I will try. Thanks!

• You’re very welcome, Sharla! I think you’ll have fun making this ring! 🙂