9 Important Things to Say to Your Jewelry Customers (Video)

Jewelry and Coffee with Rena

by Rena Klingenberg.

Here are 9 things you can say to help jewelry customers feel comfortable and well cared for:

Transcript of this Video:

Every contact you have with a jewelry customer is an opportunity to influence whether they’ll return, and whether they’ll refer other people to you.

And a major part of your customer contact is how you talk (or write) when you’re working with your customers.

Here are 9 things you can say to help jewelry customers feel comfortable and well cared for.

(And of course you can re-word these phrases to suit the way YOU naturally talk, and the type of clients you serve.)

1. Instead of “Let me know if you have any problems with this necklace”, you can say:
    “Please let me know if you have any questions about your necklace.”
    (People would much rather feel that they’ll have a question than a problem!)
  2. When a customer asks a question you can’t answer off the top of your head, you can say:
    “Let me find out and I’ll get back to you. What’s the best way for me to get in touch with you?”
  3. When a customer makes a request, they’re always glad to hear:
    “I’d be happy to.”
  4. When customizing jewelry for a customer, it’s nice to say:
    “I want to make sure it’s the way you like it.”
  5. When a customer is hesitating about checking out with the jewelry they’ve chosen, a nice way to get them to make the purchase is to say:
    “I can take care of that for you.”
  6. When you’ve finished a customer’s transaction, you can ask:
    “Is there anything else I can help you with?”
  7. When your customer is leaving after making a purchase, it’s nice to say:
    “I appreciate your business.”
  8. When a customer thanks you, you can simply say:
    “My pleasure.”
  9. To make customers feel like privileged insiders:
    “Here’s a sneak preview of my new bracelets” (or whatever new stuff you have).

I think it’s especially important to say kind, caring things to your customers – and really mean them – during the busy times of year, like the Christmas holiday season.

It only takes a moment to say these things, but they make a tremendous difference in your customers’ shopping experience!

I’d love to hear what you say to your customers when you’re taking care of them, if you’d like to share that in the comments below.

Thanks for joining me today – I’ll see you soon.

9 Important Things to Say to Your Jewelry Customers  by Rena Klingenberg, Jewelry Making Journal

The Jewelry Rena’s Wearing
in This Video:

Autumn Green Jewelry by Rena Klingenberg

Pendant – from my Rustic Autumn Leaf Pendant tutorial.

Earrings – turquoise, amber, sterling silver. By Rena Klingenberg.

• Lisa says:

I have been doing art shows for years and wanted something special to say to a customer after their purchase is complete so I always say “Thank you and please wear that in happiness and good health!” people really respond and warm to it…I love it !

• I love that, Lisa! It’s a very lovely way to wish them well as they leave with their new purchase! 🙂

• Great advice, Rena! I just recently changed the way I write my thank you notes that I send out to every customer who buys something from my Etsy shop. I used to say “If you have any problems or concerns, please let me know.” And now I say, “If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.” And I always thank them for their order and let them know I appreciate their business. I also always say that I hope they enjoy wearing their new handmade beaded lanyard, or whatever they purchased from me. 🙂

• Sue says:

When closing a sale, I like to say, “What else are you thinking about buying?”
    it is a smart way to slow down the transaction and help the person get more shopping done.

• Safarisister says:

Rena, I’ve been following you a couple years now and I just LOVE your “coffee” videos. In a crazy mixed up world after watching one of your videos I feel relaxed, informed and just plain happy.

Your biggest fan South of the Border,
    Jacky [Safarisister]

• Judith says:

Great tips, Rena! I’m glad you mentioned what to say when someone thanks you (#8). I would like to add PLEASE don’t say “no problem”! Every time someone says that to me I want to say, “were you expecting a problem?” It makes your customer feel good when they hear “my pleasure” instead!

• Connie says:

I second and third the suggestion to never say “no problem”, whatever it is that people thank you for. Every time I hear that it says to me the person means – well, I wasn’t excited or happy about it but I did it anyway.
    In addition to saying ” my pleasure”, I most often say “you are MOST welcome”.
    Rena, I only recently discovered your journal and tutorials, and love it. Thanks for doing it for us all.

• Lisa Hodges says:

Thank you everyone! I have foot in mouth disease. I always say “no problem” and I never realized it came off that way. Changing now!

• Jeanne Lyons says:

My most common reply to “Thank you” after a purchase is, “Enjoy wearing your new necklace, or whatever was just purchased… I also hand them my business card and point out that the back has a list of my future shows in the area.
    When I feel it fits in I add, “Please let me help you with any future jewelry needs.”

• Cat Slavin says:

These wonderful suggestions were such a blessing! And I’m so thankful to have ready them BEFORE I did my first show 2 weeks ago! I was happy to have such positive thoughts and comments at the ready for my customers. It really helped in making a personal connection with each one.

Thank you!!!

• Thank you for letting me know, Cat! That’s so lovely to hear. I’m glad you made personal connections with your customers – it’s one of the most important things you can do.

• Great tips! Liked:
    “Wear it in good health and happiness”
    “Which other pieces were you looking at?”
    “My pleasure”
    I’d like some advice on the front end of a sale. ‘Good morning’ and ‘how are you today?’ are so blah. What can I say that is more warm and welcoming?

• Rhonda says:

Linette Arnold:
    “I’m so happy that you came into my shop today! I’d love to show you around, is there anything in particular you are looking?”

• I get your newsletters for I don’t now how many years now and just recently I stumbled on these little videos, took me some time to build the courage to actualy respond here.
    Being said #8 great tip, I never know how to respond back, not that I do many shows, but even in writing I have trouble with it. Now I only have to remember to just say “my pleasure” 🙂

• Carina, it’s nice to hear from you! I’ve never been naturally talkative, so I find it’s so helpful to know ahead of time some good responses to customers. Thank you for letting me know you’re finding my videos helpful! 🙂

• Frida Nathoo says:

Rena,

Thank you for all your videos and tips on how to treat and work with customers. Sometimes saying the right thing at an
    awkward moment saves the situation! I am participating in an upcoming Xmas bazaar and am glad I will be prepared!

• Frida, you’re very welcome! Best of luck at your upcoming Christmas Bazaar! 🙂

• Liz Sanchez says:

Thank you Rena, for all your suggestions on your video, I am new to your site as of yesterday, I sell jewelry and other items online and many times I feel stuck on how to best describe what I am selling, sometimes that is my biggest concern after I have photographed the items. The how to better attract the customers to what I am selling. There are many things that I have learned throughout the years, such as using key words, photography, titles… still working on, and I am getting a little bit better on descriptions, especially on keeping them short and to the point, but there is always a lot of room for improvement. Learning never ceases, and I am glad of that. I know I will be incorporating some or all of these nine suggestions somewhere in my next description… and thank you, I WAS one of those “no problem” people, no more!
    Thanks again, Liz

• Welcome, Liz, it’s lovely to have you here. Thank you so much for letting me know how helpful you found this video! (And I started out as a “no problem” person too. 🙂 )

• Pat says:

Love your suggestions! The younger crowd seems to like no problem. It offends me like maybe I was a small problem?? You are welcome works. Keep it simple and warm. Say it with a smile in your voice and with eye contact if possible.

• Thanks, Pat! And I like your addition of a smile in your voice and eye contact. 🙂

• Thank you Rena for all the great tips! Here is an example of how eye contact makes a huge difference. I was at an outdoor show that I had always done well at in the past, but for some reason people were acting strange. I commented to my husband about the odd behavior and people not even looking at me. He pointed out that my new glasses get dark when it’s sunny and people couldn’t see me eyes. When I took the glasses off when talking to customers everything changed and the sales were back on track! 😀

• Wow, Marnie, what a difference that one element made! And it totally makes sense that eye contact changed everything. Thanks so much for sharing this important tip.

• Roxanne says:

• Roxanne, thank you for your lovely message. You made my day! 🙂

• JBH says:

Hi Rena, love your tips and videos. With all the emails, advertisement we all get, your newsletter is one I read from beginning to end. It is very valuable and I have learned so much from you and the other creative artists that share their comments and experiences.
    I live in the Caribbean so all of my shows are outdoors in the sun. It was a friend/customer that suggested I take off my sunglasses when customers approached my station. I had not thought about it but it made a big difference. People want to see the sincerity in your eyes and smile. I was glad she told me.

• Jean, thank you so much for your lovely message about my newsletter! You made my day. 🙂

And thanks for your fantastic tip about removing sunglasses so customers can see the jewelry artist’s eyes – brilliant advice, and a great way to build trust with customers.

• Becky Buchanan says:

On the back of my earring cards (handwritten descriptions) I always write. Enjoy! Becky
    Just a side note, my descriptions are not in cursive because unfortunately not everyone reads cursive.
    I’ll try and not say no problem anymore. Especially when a customer wants a re-Design on the spot. Which I’ll do ” no problem”. Making something shorter, longer, switching out a chain or earring findings. I’m more than happy to do, my shows are seasonal and people are starting to find me every year, so re-doing something is good for business. I just come prepared. Thanks Rena and everyone else for all their input in this fun job. Enjoy! Becky

• Thank you for your comment, Becky – and I great tip about not writing things in cursive (or using cursive fonts) since a lot of folks aren’t familiar with it.