Jewelry Made From Recycled Bass Strings

by Melissa L Keller.
(United States)

Jewelry Made From Recycled Bass Strings by Melissa Keller  - featured on Jewelry Making Journal

Bass String Beaded Hoop Variations

I began taking an interest in making jewelry in early 2018.

As a beginner, I had a hard time affording all the right tools and all the beautiful beads or wires I would have liked to order.

Bass String Owls

The idea struck me that old bass guitar strings could make cute earrings, bracelets, and more.

My bass player husband plays a lot, every day. He goes through strings on a regular basis.

Bass String Owl Hoops

I now had a free and recycled material that will continue to come in as long as my husband continues playing.

I began making more and more earrings, each pair different than the last.

Big Simple Bass String Hoops – my favorite

The bass strings are stainless steal or nickel wound around a steel wire core.

They make beautiful shapes, and match endless amounts of colors or beads.

Now just one of many types of jewelry that I make, bass string jewelry is unique and meaningful to me and the customers who purchase it.

Melissa L Keller
Missyistics.com

• Melissa, what a clever way to utilize a unique recyclable! And the owls are a fun addition to the earrings.

• Melinda says:

I really like to repurpose/re-use items as well…for the home and in making jewellery and most ideas come from others sharing their creations. Your earrings are fabulous. Here’s hoping your husband keeps strumming for a long time 🙂 Thank you for sharing with us.

• Sandy says:

Melissa, this is an awesome idea! 🙂

• Dawn says:

I too have been working with guitar strings but find they like to unravel and are sharp – ouch!! Did you glue the ends of the strings into the end caps?

• Cat from CatManDo! studio says:

They’re Beautiful….. a bigtime win! Win! Win!

My dad was a guitarist…. how I wish I had some of his strings.

• Fran says:

Melissa, Thank you!!! What a great and original idea. I’m a new designer and have been trying different recycling ideas and sustainable pieces. But that one is the coolest! Now I have an excuse for o go to more concerts. Lol.
    Fran

• Carol says:

I like this!

• Katie Murphy says:

Terrific idea! Good looking too!

• Dyanne says:

Very clever use of guitar strings!! Beautiful work too.

• LuElla Spears says:

Dear Ms. Melissa; I really love this idea for different reasons…I have wanted to play guitar since I was in elementary school and finally, last year at age 62 I bought my first Acoustic Bass Guitar! I love it and have named it Morris! Now when Morris “sheds“ his strings, I know how to recycle ♻️ them. Another reason I like what you’ve done here is my love of owls 🦉! I have a collection of different owls & spend more time looking at them than making jewelry with them😂! Now I may have the courage to part with a couple of them. Finally, I see the potential to use my newly learned wire wrapping techniques! So for these reasons and I’m sure for more to come, a hearty thank you for sharing your lovely pieces with us! Never stop creating! Don’t you just love this journal! Can’t wait to see more of your creations!

• Dawn,
    Yes, I did use glue for the ends of the strings and caps. Thank you for your comment and your question.

• Luella, thank you so much for your kind words. Happy to hear that you’ve brought the acoustic bass into your life. It’s a truly unique instrument with a sound that resonates deeply. Happy playing and designing.

• Thank you for featuring my designs and for your your nice comment! I was thrilled to see the positive feedback and further inspired to keep designing.

• Thank you so much for the feedback, I appreciate the kind words.

• Geraldine Self says:

This is a wonderful upcycle idea. My father use to play lots of instruments, because he could play by ear. My brother and older sister also play guitar. Some of his instruments are still around. Therefore, I may be able to make a pair of these that have a very special meaning to me. Thank you very much for the great idea.

• Alice says:

How clever! Should be popular with the music crowd.