Types of Organic or Eco-Friendly String for Making Jewelry?

by Rasa.

Types of Organic or Eco-Friendly String for Making Jewelry?  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journalquestion-mark-focusblue-500x500-png

What kind of material of strings do you use for making jewelry?

I was thinking what eco-friendly or organic string would be the best for it?

Thanks!

Rasa

• Alysen says:

I’ve found faux (micro) suede that I like at Lima Beads. I like to use Silk cords / ribbon too, with finished edges.

• Rena Klingenberg says:

Good ideas from Alysen! Also have you considered hemp cord, Rasa?

• Nicole Green says:

I use a C-lon. I’ve recently started using 1mm leather cord for making knotted bead bracelets.

• Deb says:

I have a friend that repurposes cotton tee shirts for necklace cords. How about sari silk or silk cord?

• Katie says:

Bead Haven carries some artful multi-colored, cotton cords with finished edges that are just beautiful. I like to tie on a closed jump ring and wire guard at the end in order to securely attach a made to order or handmade bead woven clasp. I secure the knot with glue then hide it with a large hole sterling, gold fill, gemstone or hand woven bead. The cords are substantial enough to hold a fairly large bead woven pendant but also thin enough that the knots to large.

If you need smaller cords…C-lon and S-lon are good for knotting with smooth beads but sometimes begin to fray. Whenever I use beads with rough edges such as trade beads, crystals and/or some metal beads, I always reach for Tuff-Cord. It’s a bit more expensive but comes in multiple colors and sizes and holds up to anything you can throw at it.

• Jean says:

I would be concerned about how long the organic material would last. I have been doing beadweaving for many years and use Fireline 6 lb. which is easily available and have never had it break. Also, it is thin enough for beading needles. I make surgical knots when I’m done and have never had a problem with them unraveling. Hope this helps.
    Jean