How to Clean or Paint White Leatherette Jewelry Busts?

by Jeanne Lyons.

How to Clean or Paint White Leatherette Jewelry Busts?  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

My white leatherette busts will not come clean no matter what I try.

I don’t want to cover them so I’ve decided to paint them. Has anyone tried to do this?

Suggestions for a procedure?

Cleaning first? brush or sponge? kind of paint?

Would love some help.

Thank you.

Jeanne Lyons

• Hi Jeanne, in this post, a jewelry artist cleaned and spray painted her shopworn white leatherette busts:
    Give Old Jewelry Displays a Fresh New Look. I hope this helps! 🙂

• Camille says:

You could decoupage them with a pretty paper or fabric. Just make sure not to use too busy of a pattern or the jewelry won’t stand out.

• Laurel says:

I washed them first and dried. Then I used white spray paint and sprayed them twice (let dry in between spraying). Works pretty good. I leave my forms in the car and when it gets really hot, some of the paint started to crack. Shouldn’t be a problem if you don’t leave in the car.

• Kathi says:

First, try cleaning them with a Mr Clean magic eraser. If that doesn’t clean them up well enough then spray paint them…but I suggest using upholstery spray paint. This can be purchased at a car supply store and is made for leather.

• Deborah Fortin says:

i have painted all of my white leatherette necklace stands for the same reason. I could not get them clean. so I painted them with grey acrylic artists paint , using a wide brush and a dry-brushing tecnique . They now look like barn board . I find that suits my aesthetic, as well as allowing the jewellery to be the star. I used to use a mix of balck and white ones depending on the colour of the necklace , but with the grey it is a neutral so it works with all my finished pieces.

• Anne says:

I, too, appreciate all of the answers to Jeanne’s question. My white busts have become really sad. I really like the idea of decoupage, since I have a ton of colored tissue paper from Christmas.

• Theresa Abell says:

I took a different approach when given some “older” busts that were not clean or good looking anymore. I “upholstered” them with different pale burlap fabrics. Hot glued in place, they look now clean, and the added advantage is that I can easily adhere earrings &/or pin a bracelet on the same display as my necklace. The pale blue burlap, pale pink, pale green & of course, natural. I did a cuff at the neck to imitate a high cowl neck which look nice, they are original and are great for Spring, Summer & green/natural, for Fall.

• Joyce Rafferty says:

I agree with the Mr Clean Magic Eraser–does wonders, then if that is unsuccessful, go ahead and gently spray paint in ivory or light dove grey.

• Lyone says:

I love the burlap idea.

• Cathy Stewart says:

Have you tried Awesome from the dollar store? I have cleaned many many things with this product.

• Karen says:

We have painted our white busts with chalk paint – then distressed them to look shabby-chic which works with our booth and theme.

• Jeanne says:

Thanks for all the great ideas. I’m on my way to buy acrylic/fabric paint.
    I’ll send a picture when I get a couple finished!

• Wonderful, Jeanne! Looking forward to seeing your jewelry display makeover! 🙂