What’s the Best Metal Polish to Remove Oxidization?

by Julie.
(Oklahoma)

What's the Best Metal Polish to Remove Oxidization?  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

What is the best metal polish for bronze, brass and copper that is very oxidized?

Preferably one that really works and doesn’t require tons of rubbing and a lot of time?

Thank you.

Julie
Archaeology

• Lynda C. says:

I might suggest a three options. A Sunshine brand polishing -cloth for smooth surfaces. For textured pieces I use toothpaste and an old tooth brush,scrubbing softly and rinsing well. Last for a last ditch effort, I like a soft scrubbing with OOOO steel wool. Once you achieve the new finish you like, consider a protective coating of Renaissance Wax or spray with Permalac. Lastly, I keep metal jewelry that oxidizes in ziplock plastic bags or Tupperware to reduce the exposure to air which causes the oxidation. Good luck!

• Elizabeth A Reid says:

I use Penny Brite for copper but haven’t tried it on other base metals.

• Fay says:

Ketchup and an old toothbrush… Yes, it really does work. The only issue is that it removes ALL tarnish and you may wish to keep tarnish in the recessed areas. If that’s the case, I use a polishing cloth. In either case, I coat with ProtectaClear but only on the metals you asked about and NEVER on silver as it yellows eventually.

• Moogie says:

I swear by Pennybrite! I have used it with all the metals you mention. I have the gel form in a bottle. Wear gloves, cover your pieces in Pennybright, use a soft toothbrush & go over each piece. Rinse well, dry & as a final step if you want a high shine, go over the pieces with a Sunshine cloth. I’m not saying this is the only way but it does work for me 😊 If the pieces are flat, the toothbrush isn’t necessary, just rub with your gloved fingers. You could also tumble your pieces in stainless steel shot & burnishing compound for that high shine, if you have a tumbler. Good luck!

• I put my copper in warm pickle, and my brass in a warm pickle & hydrogen peroxide combination. Don’t leave it too long though, it’ll pit.

• Cheryl says:

I put my copper ring in a warm pickle pot and it came out beautiful! The oxidation stayed on, but the finish was not tinny looking. You can make a pickle solution without using Sparex, but I have a dedicated small crock pot I use for pickleing.

• Terrace Currence says:

Thanks, I will try these remedies. I am not working but I have so much copper from my last construction job. I do not want to scrap it, I think a better use for it would be to try my hand at making jewelry and see if I can make a few bucks. Christmas is coming so I would like to try to make some Christmas items.

• Alysen says:

Terrace, Not going to add to the great pieces of advice, just going to say Good Luck and Happy Creating!

• I put tinfoil in a pan and use baking soda and cover the silver with it. I pour boiling water into the jewelry and baking soda and let it stand for 10 minutes, and it makes the sterling silver look brand new. It’s a technique I found online and a much cheaper way to clean your jewelry. Try it! You’d be amazed!