Storing Jewelry in Plastic Bags – Is That Good or Bad?

by Cate.
(Satellite Beach, FL)

Storing Jewelry in Plastic Bags - Is That Good or Bad?  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

I have read that storing jewelry in plastic bags is not good.

But then I see that a lot of people are storing their jewelry that way.

I just ordered some anti-tarnish strips that I was going to put in plastic bags with my jewelry so they don’t oxidize.

Now I’m not sure whether that’s what I should do it.

What are your thoughts?
Thank you!

Cate
Cates Creations

• Fran says:

Good question! I would be interested in the answer as well.

• Moogie says:

Everything I’ve read says it’s important to keep out air to avoid oxidation so I use zip top plastic bags as suggested. The antitarnish strips are great & they also make bags with an antitarnish material incorporated into the plastic. They’re a bit expensive so I use them mostly for my sterling. They’re supposed to last at least 2 years whereas the tabs last about 6 months. If anyone has different information I’d love to hear!

• Sue Runyon says:

I work with pearls and restringing older pearls. DO NOT store pearls in plastic. They need to breathe. Old pearls that I see that have been stored in plastic or in airtight safes or safe deposit boxes long term are yellowed and brittle and ruined.

• Margaret says:

I keep my silver and copper wire, beads, and findings, as well as my silver and copper jewelry in plastic bags. It keeps them separated, and I believe it keeps them from tarnishing. My first jewelry-making teacher taught me this.

• Sandee Jene says:

You are also able to buy anti-tarnish fabric at a fabric store. It last longer than the strips. I cut it in 1 inch squares and use one square in each plastic baggie for my jewelry. Did not realize about the pearls. I will take them out of the baggies.

• Kathleen says:

Thanks Sue, I do not store pearls inn plastic bags, but they are stored in a largish clear plastic box. Do you have an idea if that i a good choice?

• Mona Arnott says:

I had not heard the comment about not putting pearls in plastic bags either so I googled it. This is what I found out:
    In summary, yes very true. I have a whole bunch of pearls I need to get out of the bags now. I’m thinking the organza gift bags that don’t match my brand colours are a good alternative 🙂

• Eileen B Macloud says:

I have always used plastic bags to store metals also. Silicone packets or white chalk keep moisture out and help keep things shining.

• Heather says:

VERY helpful information – THANK YOU ALL!!

• Moogie, I had no idea that you could purchase bags with anti-tarnish built in. Can you tell me where you get them? Thanks for your advice!