Opinions Please: The Best DIY Clasps for Bracelets?

by Alexa.

What are the best DIY clasps for bracelets?  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

What are the best styles of handmade clasps for bracelets?

Update from Rena: Sandy kindly sent in four examples of DIY clasps that may work for Alexa, in this new post: DIY Clasp Ideas. Thanks so much, Sandy! 🙂

Alexa

• A good question, Alexa! I usually create some sort of wire hook clasp for my handmade bracelets.

• Eileen Macloud says:

I usually use hook and eye closures. They are easier to handl.

• Dana C Smith says:

I like to make toggle designs that can also fit a couple of inches of chain for adjustability. I feel toggles are more secure than hooks, generally.

• Joanne Kane says:

I like to use toggles. They are fairly easy to fasten by the wearer. I also find that they are secure and keep the bracelet on the wrist.

• Dianne says:

Toggles and they are super easy to make with either sheet metal and a jeweler’s saw or heavy wire.

• Lyone says:

Alexa, you haven’t mentioned what medium you are working in, so I will assume this is a broad question?
    If so, then my hands down favorite is actually button and loop clasps.
    I like to make my own buttons from polymer clay, and then to create a matching loop of seed beads using a braided stitch or some other triple+ strand method.

• Sandy West says:

I use a variety depending on the style of the bracelet. I often use a hook and loop clasp. I have been making a lot of metal links bracelets lately. Some have a hook and the loop is the last link, or a smaller version of the link. Some work better with a toggle. If it is more of a beaded bracelet you use a flower glass bead for the hook and a well fitting beaded loop for the other end.

• Hi again Alexa, Sandy kindly sent in four examples of DIY clasps that may work for you, in this new post: DIY Clasp Ideas. Thanks so much, Sandy! 🙂