How Do You Keep Cool at Summer Jewelry Shows?

by Michele Max.

How Do You Keep Cool at Summer Jewelry Shows?  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

I have some hot-weather jewelry shows coming up and I’d be so grateful if you could share your best tips for keeping cool and comfortable in both indoor and outdoor shows.

Thank you in advance.

This group is the best!

Michele

• Rena Klingenberg says:

In dry, hot climates, a “neck cooler” can work like an evaporative cooler to keep you more comfortable. It’s a fabric tubes with gel like beads inside that help you cool down. However, in humid or damp climates, they’re not a good choice.

• Gwen Brooks says:

Hi Michele, this is worth a try: Put some ice cubes in a zip lock freezer bag along with a couple of wet wash cloths (be sure to wet your cloths). The ice cubes gradually melt and keep the cloths cold and wet for quick use. When you start to feel uncomfortable from the heat, hold the cold cloth on your head or face or around your neck. It will give you some temporary relief from the heat. If you bring a lunch, store the bag in your cooler. Hope this helps and good luck at your upcoming shows. Gwen

• Kelly Balcom says:

Oh boy can I relate – heat and I do NOT get along! The best $4 I ever spent was on a battery-operated hand-held water fan. I fill it up with cold water (and ice if available), turn it on and squeeze the trigger for the cold water to be sprayed on my face and neck while the fan makes it even cooler. During summer shows I’ve even had customers ask me to spray them!

• Lisa says:

Another option is to get a battery operated fan. I have a couple for emergencies and use rechargable batteries in mine to save on the cost of batteries. Bring several sets of batteries so you have enough power for it to run all day. Plus if you do have access to power, they usually have a/c adapter to plug in.

• Kevlyn Hoisington says:

Ok, here is my list to keep cool:
    The hand held fan with sprayer, but I put a few drops of mint and lavender essential oils in the water. Really is awesome, but close your eyes if you spray it in your face.
    A dish tub filled with water under your table, you can add ice too, put your feet in it.
    My favorite is a lunch sized “blue ice” that place between my shirt and the waist band of my pants along my spine. This one will keep you cool as a cucumber!

• Here in France they sell aerosol water cans which aren’t very big and a little more elegant than some solutions. Maybe you can find them where you live. They give a very fine mist that won’t mess up your makeup or other stuff.

• Fay says:

All great suggestions here! I got one of those chilly towels and cut it in half lengthwise, making 2 scarves (one for me, one for hubby). You can get them at a sporting goods store. They’re made of sponge-like stuff and they work like magic. They stay cool and they don’t wet your clothes. You can re-wet them if you need to by pouring a little water on them. They’re antibacterial and hand washable. We got a package of shade fabric, like you use on a patio, to hang on the side of the canopy where the sun is with big S hooks that we make out of coat hangers. You can move it as the sun moves. You can see through it and a little air can move through, too, which we like better than putting the sides on the canopy. Ours is an off-brand and is not waterproof but Coolaroo makes one that they say is waterproof and I wish that mine would wear out so I could justify replacing it. They’re indestructible. We have a small (about 12″ square) battery-operated fan and the batteries last through several shows. I turn it toward browsing customers and encourage them to play with my products. We freeze bottles of water and carry them in an insulated bag. They’ll keep your drinks and snacks cold and you can thaw and drink them if you run out of water. You can also hold one against the back of your neck if you’re really desperate. All this said, we live in the South and the heat and humidity are unreal … sometimes all you can do is keep smiling and count down the hours.

• Lynn LaPlante says:

The summer craft show I took part in was in doors, no air-conditioning, and I always requested an outlet area, we would bring a floor fan with a long extension cord and stand it up behind us. When people would come to my table they would ask “why is it so much cooler here” and I would point at the fan and then they would say “I think I’ll stay here”. One woman even came behind my table and stood in front of the fan,

• Becky says:

My tip is to wear 100 % cotton or silk clothes. I’ll wear a white cotton blouse with a skirt. If the skirt is a little big and hangs off your waist, you will stay cooler. Wear sandals if you can. Put your hair up. From Florida with heat and humidity. Along with all the other tips listed you’ll do well. Keep smiling. I also invite people who are outside of the tent to step inside in the shade. That also gets them in your booth.

• Elizabeth Reid says:

Last year I bought a little personal fan, about the size of a deck of cards at Bed Bath and Beyond on a cord to be worn around the neck. I bought a color coordinated purple fan. It is helpful but nothing, IMO is 100%.

• We make and sell our own neck chillers. They are easy to make too. You can buy the “Water Crystals” in the flower arrangement area at AC Moore or Michael’s. You only need about a table spoon of them for each chiller. Sew cotton material in a tube shape that is about 25-30″. Then add your water crystals and close. We separate ours into a tie area at the ends that doesn’t have crystals and 3 sections in the neck area that do have the crystals. These sell fairly well as is, but may do even better made as a necklace.

• Duane, thank you so much for sharing this “cool” tip! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Mim Davis says:

I overheated and almost fainted at a show. The temperature (in Texas) was 112 – actual temp. Real feel was worse. Anyway, the cops were near by (just a coincidence) and they told me one of the best things to do is to hydrate by drinking LOTS of water 24 hours before the event up and through the event. People will drink water at the event but their bodies need to be hydrated starting the day before. That is how they handle the heat wearing their heavy clothes and gear. Good to know! (Yes – the ice bands that you wear around your neck are great, you can also get velcro wrist bands that are even better. My nephew served 3 tours in middle east and he said keeping the wrists cool was better for prevention.) I LOVED the idea of having a bucket available to use for ice water for your feet! I’ll have to remember that!

• Mim, thank you for sharing this story and cooling tips. And please tell your nephew that I’m thanking him for his service.

• Rena Klingenberg says:

I love the ice cube strategy – thanks, Gwen! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Rena Klingenberg says:

Kelly, I agree – it’s worth $4 to be more comfortable at a summer show!

• Rena Klingenberg says:

Lisa, thanks for mentioning the extra batteries!

• Rena Klingenberg says:

Kevlyn, love the feet-in-the-ice strategy! Brilliant! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Rena Klingenberg says:

Barbara, I agree, a fine mist plus a bit of breeze or wind can feel heavenly on a hot dry day!

• Rena Klingenberg says:

Fay, chilly towels plus the frozen bottles – wonderful!

• Rena Klingenberg says:

Lynn, that reminds me of a cold, rainy day when I had a booth at an outdoor show. I had put three walls of my tent down – and sold loads of jewelry to people who came into my tent to get out of the weather.

• Rena Klingenberg says:

Great tip, Becky – just wearing cotton fabric can make a difference!

• Rena Klingenberg says:

I like the color coordinated fans – personal branding! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Lynn LaPlante says:

If you can provide shelter or a cooling device that not only benefits you but also those who come to look at your jewelry they just might hang around longer and there’s a good chance they will buy something

• Carol says:

Live in Central Texas and because of a near heat exhaustion episode, I can no longer participate in outdoor shows in July and August. I’ve used most of the remedies mentioned in the posts above for the other warm months. They all work to a certain extent, but I really like the idea of feet in ice water! I’ll have to try that one.

• Mary Anne says:

Having worked outdoors in over 95 degree heat for 8 hours on a regular basis last year (and naturally prone to heat stroke), let me share what saves me. First, I tried those gel neck coolers that others here mention.

I also found โ€œchilly padsโ€ to be even better…they are a special type of thin felt fabric you wring out in cold water and wrap around your neck. They are not as bulky as the water bead neck rolls.

Now, I have even thought to cut one up, and make embroidered, beaded cuffs out of them, as the cuffs (when wet) would also cool your wrists with the cold water. (Why not make them look like jewelry?) The idea behind these items is to keep the arteries cooler (at neck and wrists), and so cool the entire body. There are also now specialty caps and hats that do the same thing.

If you arenโ€™t near a water source (say, at a booth outdoors far from the main building), then carry a large insulated jug of ice water. Then you can occasionally rinse your chilly Pad, and renew the cold effects.

• Nicole Green says:

I delivered mail in the deep south for 27 years. Keep a hand towel in an ice chest of ice and water. When you can, wipe down your arms, legs, the back of your neck & face. Don’t bother with makeup; it’s going to melt anyway. If you have a fan available, standing in front of it, after wiping down, is heaven! I haven’t tried it, but I’ve heard a few drops of Florida Water Cologne in the water really helps.

• Becky says:

Thank you Rena, my last show this past May was so hot and humid, then it rained! I really stick with wearing the white/cream light colored shirt advice. I now feel like it’s a uniform now. This also provides a clean background for wearing or showing my pieces. Love all the tips.

• Linda Spangler says:

All of the advice above is good advice. However, I no longer do Summer markets or shows. I live in the Florida Panhandle. It is hot and humid. After 3 seasons of Summer shows outdoors I looked at my books and sales. I discovered my best selling time is between Labor Day and Memorial Day. My summer profit was low. I decided to take Summer off and spend time with friends and family. I also design and make pieces for my “season”. That way I am not caught short when the big shows arrive. Via Social network I post up new pieces weekly. My customers continue to purchase items directly from me during summer. By the end of August I am more profitable than I was because I do not have the expense of show fees and travel. My advice is if is profitable for you to do Summer shows do so and take precautions. If not, prepare for your profitable shows during the Summer months.

• Brilliant, Linda! Thank you for sharing what’s working for you. ๐Ÿ™‚