“Nay Sayers” at Jewelry Shows Might be Wrong!

by Bernard Silverman.
(Houston,TX)

"Nay Sayers" at Jewelry Shows Might be Wrong! by Bernard Silverman  - featured on Jewelry Making Journal

Bookmark Example

As a maker of art pedants and a person doing the work on a commercial basis, I also make other items like bookmarks and key chains.

The last two show I exhibited, my first customers at both shows, comes up and says that “People don’t read books any more and you won’t be selling Bookmarks”.

At the end of both shows I sold out of bookmarks (pendants are my mainstay) and received 2 separate Bookmark commissions, one for 150 pc and the other for 125 pc.

“Nay sayers” just might be wrong!

Bernard Silverman
Judaic Expressions in Miniature

• Susan says:

People do still read books. Every flight I have taken in the last 4 years had people around me reading books. Even some folks with tablets they played games on, still pulled out a REAL book, complete with pages that turn, during the flight.

• Xi says:

No one reads books? Tell that to my public library, open 6-7 days a week. They have to run people out every day at closing! Now you’ve given me a gift idea for my friends with book clubs, filled with people who don’t read. Nice work.

• Oh, yes they do read books! My customers buy them as gifts! They buy them for the family bibles. Organists buy them to mark their pages for church services. The list goes on and on. Keep rocking those gorgeous bookmarks and laugh all the way to the bank.

• Sara says:

It always amazes me that folks can be so rude about something you’ve taken time and care to produce. Do they think you haven’t spent time researching your market? Your jewellery looks beautiful and is obviously appreciated by others!

• Rena Klingenberg says:

I love this story, Bernard! We have books in every room of our house – and we also frequent the public libraries. Fabulous bookmarks, and congrats on the commissions! 🙂

• Quinn Eurich says:

Yesterday my mail carrier just delivered 3 books from 2 different used book stores, and one more should be showing up today!

• Irene Vrbensky says:

Your work is beautiful and I can see why you sold out!

• Rita says:

Beautiful work Bernard, and beautiful story too! I love books, all books. Electronic books haven’t taken over just yet, but I must admit I love the convenience of them. Thank you for sharing!

• Christine Yuss says:

I also made bookmarks for this past Christmas and sold out immediately at a boutique! First customer bought 8 for her grandkids as stocking stuffers. Small ones are great for magazines. I even had a woman order several for her college student who wanted them for her textbooks.
    It is a great way to use up odd beads or small quantities left-over from bigger projects.

• Julia Ferry says:

us baby boomers will always read books.

• I still read books. Good call on your part. There are lots of us. And, who wouldn’t want a beautiful hamsa?

• Claudia says:

I’m a baby boomer, too, and I LOVE Books. I prefer hard cover books because they feel like a treasure to me. I swear, I will never read an electronic book. And now that I am retired, I have more time for books.

• Zenkitty says:

Our librarian says that books are more popular than ever. She says that even students prefer books to working on a computer. As we speak the library is put in more shelves to meet the need for more books.