Use Split Rings, Soldered Rings, or Jump Rings for Best Necklace Quality?

by Toni Williamson.

Use Split Rings, Soldered Rings, or Jump Rings for Best Necklace Quality?  Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

I use small split rings when I can in place of open jump rings. I do that because I’m afraid the jump ring will open and the necklace will fall apart.

Should I be worried about that, because I sell my jewelry and want them to get the best quality I can give them.

Or do you spot weld the jump ring (if I’m saying that right).

Toni Williamson

• Sarah S. says:

It really depends on how heavy the necklace is. For lightweight items… chain with a charm, or light weight beads, I have found that jump rings work fine. For heavier things – lots of gemstone or stone beads, or large beads – the added security of split rings or soldered rings is never a bad idea. Also, if you are using beading wire, in some cases you can attach the wire directly to your clasp and then add an extra crimp bead for added sturdiness. It all really depends on your design.

• Toni says:

Yes, I have added an extra crimp bead for sturdiness and feel good about that.
    Do you have instruction on soldering rings or recommend a particular soldering tool. I would love to see a video on that.
    Thanks again,
    Toni

• Mary Ann says:

I share your concerns. For all bracelets and necklaces I double crimp (with crimp covers) and use split rings. But sometimes the split rings interfere with the design, so I’m experimenting with jump rings that “snap shut” permanently. They are more expensive that the standard jump rings, but if they work, it will be worth it. Like you, I never want a customer coming back to me with a piece that has fallen apart!

• Thanks for sharing the great tips above for making higher quality, durable necklaces, Sarah, Toni, and Mary Ann!

One additional thing I consider, especially for active people, is using jump rings as a safety feature. If the person’s necklace gets caught on something, I’d rather have the “break-away” feature of jump rings pulling open and the necklace falling off … instead of having the person injured or choked by the necklace.

• I agree with Rena. I do a lot of repairs and people think they’ve broken their necklace and they’re practically crying as they show me — and I show them how it was the jump ring that came apart, not the chain itself, that that’s GOOD!

There are rings that are already soldered you can buy (look up “closed jump rings”) so you don’t need to get involved with that. Just look closely at them when you buy them because sometimes they’re not as strong as they should be (copper rings, especially).

Depending on the necklace design, I sometimes make a decorative Art Deco-style hammered spiral “ring” that I’ll attach the stringing wire to. The clasp is attached to one of the spirals and clasps onto the other spiral.

But for safety, I always want something that will give way under extreme pulling. I show people that safety feature, and tell them to keep an eye on it, that it doesn’t work itself apart over time.

• DARLENE says:

Gauge of the jump ring is important to consider for strength.

• Chari says:

I use jump rings, but I usually use 2 on each end so that if one works open, you can fix it before the necklace falls apart. Oval jump rings also are a little more secure and work well.

• I like Chari try to use oval jump rings whenever I can. The opening is on the side of the oval and the beading wire usually falls on either the top end or bottom of the oval. It doesn’t hurt to have 2 jump rings or even use a wire guardian.

• Vicki says:

I use jump rings that I order from Rio Grande. I get heavy gauge small diameter, and they are quite hard. It actually takes a little muscle to open them and I like the look of them much better than split rings. Also I feel confident that they will not pull open.

• Dondi Chavarria says:

I use oval jump rings, they are less likely to loose your drop. Plus the crimp beads for strength.