Metal Etched Earth Pendant

by Marisa Arneson.
(Greenfield, WI)

Metal Etched Earth Pendant by Marisa Arneson  - featured on Jewelry Making Journal

The finished product, showing the patina detail.

I recently got into metal etching and have fallen completely in love with it.

I find that I get the best results by using a vinyl resist, but some of my more successful pieces have been also made with rubber stamps.

For this earth piece, I metal etched using a peroxide and muriatic acid mixture, and submerging it for 25 minutes.

Metal Etched Earth Pendant by Marisa Arneson - featured on Jewelry Making Journal

Nice size for a pendant!

After that, I cleaned it off and used Novocan Black for a patina, and then attached a copper chevron bar & the chain.

I love the simplicity of this design.

I love how the patina turned out and most of all, I love that it didn’t take me eight tries to get it right like it normally does!

Marisa Arneson
The Fancy Bird

• Rena Klingenberg says:

I love old maps, and love the rustic look of this pendant. It could be a nice piece for a both gals and guys. Fabulous, Marisa!

• Marisa says:

Thank you so much Rena! It’s one of my favorite pieces!

• Marilyn says:

Beautiful work. I am just beginning to etch and have been using ferric acid. I noticed you used peroxide and muriatic acid. Where can I find info on using this mixture for etching. Thanx so much. Visited your site, your work is awesome.

• Debra Lowe says:

LOVE, love this, never tried etching, but your earth is encouraging, and so earthy~

• Marisa says:

Hey Marilyn! Thank you! You’d use a 2:1 ratio of peroxide to acid. You neutralize with baking soda and water, which is helpful because once neutralized, you can just pour down the sink! The only thing I would recommend is to stay right there if you decide to use aluminum. It etches in mere minutes and if you put it in for the same amount of time as your copper and brass, you’ll destroy it.

• Boo says:

Beautiful! Would love to know what ink or vinyl resist you used to protect design in the etching process. Thank you!

• Eleanor Jentas says:

Hi can you tell me what vinyl resist you used. Love your pendant. Elle

• Alysen says:

Beautiful pendant and great etching! I use the same to etch copper or brass. Never tried aluminum but will now:). Is this one brass? I think a different acid is used to etch sterling silver …

• Valerie says:

Love this, Marisa. I use the same solution for etching brass and copper. I really love your world map!