How to Work with Foxtail Chain?

by Jules.

How to Work with Foxtail Chain?  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

I have strung beads in foxtail chain, but it was many years ago and I can’t remember how I did it – as far as cutting the chain and finishing it off.

I don’t see that there is much info about using this chain to string heavier beads.

Has anyone else used bulk foxtail chain to string beads?

What success have you had using this stringing material?

Thank you for any info.

I am in the process of making a commissioned piece and would greatly appreciate any feedback? Thank you.

Jules
Joolz Jewelz

• Denise says:

I’ve never used foxtail chain, but a quick Google search netted me this video:

• Jules says:

Thank you Denise. I have seen that video too. It is with snake chain.
    Have you or anyone else ever used those crimp and loop featured on the video on beading wire?

• Moogie says:

I have used crimp ends with beading wire, thin cords, etc. & like them. I always use a touch of glue too. I looked up foxtail chain & saw some images of necklaces & bracelets. Depending on the thickness of your chain, it looks like you can use either the crimp ends (largest I’ve seen fit 4-5mm) or glue in ends with loops that are used for cords, Kumihimo, or leather. I would use 2- part epoxy when gluing metal into metal for the best bond.

• Jules says:

Hi moogie,
    Thank you for info. I will check in to the larger crimps.
    Oh, just for my clarification….what type/brand of crimp tube with loop and what inside diameter have you used with beading wire?
    I would like to try this, it seems so much easier than a crimp tube and a crimp cover etc.
    Seems to not be talked about much.
    Sounds like yu have had success?
    Thanks again.

• Alice says:

Hi. I would bet you could get some specific info from places like Beads Baubles and Jewels, or Fire Mountain Gems, Beading Daily, or even a company like Beadalon.
    These sources love to share info, much as does our dear Rena. Good luck.

• Jules says: