How to Take Apart the Links in This Chain?

by Nadia Craig.
(Pennsylvania)

How to Take Apart the Links in This Chain?  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

I don’t know what this chain style is called, but it’s like a diamond chain, with the stones set into tiny boxes and all linked together.

My question is, is there a way to take these links apart?

The chain I have is like two feet long and I need several strands of about two inches each or less for a set of earrings.

Or, if this is not possible, could anyone point me in the right direction as to where I could find something like that?

Thank you.

Nadia Craig

• Kathy says:

It’s called cup chain. You simply use snips to separate the links to get your desired length.

• It looks very much like my tennis bracelet. No idea why it is called that.

• There should be enough space between the stone and the metal backing to pass thread or wire thru to attach to a chain or whatever when making jewelry.

• Jo says:

After you snip the lengths, you need to use special ends which wrap around the end with pliers and have a hole for a link. I bought mine on Ebay. Just make sure you get the right size.

• Barbara Sims says:

When I make earrings from rhinestone chain I put a nice bead cap on one end with a pin
    inside, once it dries you can make your by cutting off the pin to length you want then add your hook.
    Hope this helps,
    Barbara

• debra lowe says:

I have used this chain, cup chain, in several ways. Snipping the ends is a good way and using a cap is also a good way to camouflage the end. Also I have removed the rhinestone, removed the little latch, put my wire, thread, whatever through the hole, secure it then put the stone back in once I attach wire or chain or what ever I am using it with. Hope this makes sense, it’s easier for me to show than to explain…

• Alysen says:

I just happen to be watching Jewellery Maker on You Tube and the guest designer Alison showed how to do this on this morning’s show. Sometimes it’s easier to see and follow.
    Don’t know if link will show here, so it’s JewelleryMaker.com LIVE 8-1 pm 3/1/18…
    It’s at 1:43:40 … hope it helps you!

• Teresa Rusk says:

You can purchase this type of trim in most fabric stores. It will be with the bridal trims. JoAnn Fabrics carried it when I worked there years ago. I assume they still have it.

• Stephani says:

I have cut apart a similar looking chain before using flush wire cutters. It was a sterling silver setting so I didn’t have too many problems. Also, I would also recommend using a file to smooth the edges once you’ve cut the chain apart.