Questions About Finishing Beaded Necklaces & Adding Clasps

by Barbara Solomon.
(California)

Questions About Finishing Beaded Necklaces & Adding Clasps  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

Hi!
In the past, I’ve had difficulty getting crimps to work. I finally solved that problem by using Omtara crimpers. I’m still working on the crimp covers, but Xuron 450 Tweezer Nose Pliers, seems to be helping.

Now, I have some questions, because when I search, I get different answers!

1. I use Wire Guardians to cover the loop. I have read that if you use an open jump ring to connect the clasp, the “opening” in the jump ring will always end up over the beading wire loop, and the clasp will come off. Assuming that the jump ring was sawed and a Wire Guardian was used, can this still happen? Or how do you handle attaching the clasp?

2. Do you add a small bead between the crimps and the loop (Wire Guardian)?

3. Do you clip the beading wire, next to the crimp, or do you string it through 1 or 2 beads, before clipping?

Working with wire and gemstones, is so much easier.

I have too many beads, and now I have to use them!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Barbara Solomon

• Hi Barbara, I found a good tip for sealing the jump ring. When bringing the two edges of the jump ring together, seal the connection with a tiny amount of clear nail varnish. When dry, it will seal any tiny gap left between the two ends of the jump ring. It has worked for me, Margaret Hobbs (UK)

• I use the heaviest gauge jump ring that will fit through both clasp and wire guardians. Oval jump rings are supposed to hold stronger but I’ve not used them. I do use a small bead between wire guardian and crimp as I can thread the wire back through crimp more easily. And I try my darndest to thread the wire back through several beads after crimping. Crucial are sharp pointy flush cutters to get close to the bead to avoid poking out. Have you tried Bead Bandits? They are spendy but getting them on sale helps with that. Beadaholique.com also has a video on them and I like the “professional” finished look.

• Emily Ederer says:

Hi Barbara,
    Sometimes I use two jump rings to attach the clasp to add a little extra protection. I sometimes use a crimp cover or a larger holed bead to cover the crimps. I usually try to push the end of the beading wire inside one or two beads before clipping the end.

• Katie Kremer says:

Hi Barbara- i no longer use open jump rings in any of my jewelry- no matter how well you close them, there is always the chance they’ll open. Closed rings are available in any jewelry supply or craft store- they’re also easy to make if you have a hand torch and basic soldering skills.
    Your wire should always be threaded through several beads past the crimp. If i’m working with small hole beads, i incorporate a larger bead just to contain some excess wire. And, as others mentioned, crimp beads really give your piece a professional look.
    Best of luck! katie

• Rena Klingenberg says:

Barbara, not sure if this is helpful for you, but here is my tutorial for finishing off beadwork ends:
    A Pretty Crimp Bead Cover Alternative .

• Maggie says:

What a great idea!

• Barbara Solomon says:

Hi,

I seem to make things too complex!

I’m using 2 (2mm X 2mm) crimps next to each other.

I found some 14 ga (6mm) open jump rings at Weavegotmaille, but I haven’t received them yet. I probably should have ordered 16 ga.

Also, I haven’t received my 3.2mm crimp covers.

I never thought of using nail polish.

Next finishing project, I’ll add small beads between the crimp and wire guardian.

Bead Bandits are a really clever idea. It’s encouraging, that people are still trying to make crimps easier to work with.

This is my take on clipping wire, at the crimp bead.
    When stringing on beading wire, there has to be a little extra beading wire, so the necklace can be coiled for storage.

If the end wire is threaded back though beads, and the extra “blank” wire is exposed, those beads could drop down and the cut end of the wire could be exposed. This could cause the wearer to get scratches.

I know there are people who say, cutting it at the crimp, could cause scratches!

Comments please!

Thanks!

Barbara Solomon

• Nancy G. says:

Hi Barbara &/or Katie. My neighbor uses “split-rings”. They kinda look like tiny “keyrings” like you put keys on. Anyway, he refuses to use regular jumprings. The split-rings come in various sizes and colors, and you can usually get them anywhere jewelry suppies are sold. Also, there is a “must have” special pair of pliers made just for opening spit-rings, and they cost about the same as any other kind of jewelry pliers. They are well worth whatever they cost; saves your finger nails and your patience. I hope this was of some help. Good luck.

• Carol Wilson says:

I use oval jump rings. The opening is on the side so the wire is less likely to work its way to the seam of the jump ring.