How to Attach Small Vintage Buttons to This Bracelet?

by Debra Taillard.
(New York)

How to Attach Small Vintage Buttons to This Bracelet?  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

I finished this bracelet which has been constructed simply – wire-wrapped beads attached to chain.

I would love to add these vintage flower buttons (please see attached photo) but I have not been able to find a way that would be secure and would look presentable.

Do you have any suggestions?

I would guess that the buttons were originally stitched (?) into place.

I tried to sort of “stitch” a button to one of the rings on the original chain using 28 gauge brass wire as thread but again I don’t think that it looks very finished and I am worried about durability.

Would it be odd for me to stitch them on with beading thread? If so, what do you think would be the best way to attach each button?

Thank you.
Debra

Debra Taillard
Beginner – Becoming established

• Hi Debra! My first thoughts are:
    1. Could you use one or more jump rings to attach the buttons to the bracelet?
    2. Could you use wire in the same metal color as the rest of the bracelet? Wire is usually my all purpose “go to” material for challenging jewelry situations.

• Mary Anne says:

I love your bracelet. I like the buttons in the way you attached them. They seem quite professionally and durably attached via the wire loops and tiny beads. I do not think there is any other way. I always think attaching via jump rings are not as secure as wire wrapping.

• Valarie says:

I have used shanked buttons in jewelry, and what I did was run a piece of wire (the sturdiest gauge you can fit through the hole) and make a loop at one end, slide through the hole and loop the other end. I usually use the like sliders, but you could bend the loops closer together so that you only need one jump ring.

• lin Standke says:

These buttons look like the might fit in one or more styles of Vintaj bead caps or leather end caps. Depending on style, you could glue on. If you use filigree caps, could wire them on and finish with a sturdy wire wrap loop to bracelet. Agree that jump rings are not a reliable option and you may lose your treasured flowers!

• Debra says:

Thank you for your kindness in taking the the time to help. Looking forward to implementing these great suggestions.

• Lorie Reindel says:

I would wire wrap them on, but be really careful not to put stress on the shank. I have flower beads that are designed the same way and have snapped the shank off by trying to fit a (round) jump ring into the hole. Vintage and antique beads get more brittle over time, so it’s even more of a concern.

• Alysen says:

I don’t know the size of the shank hole, but maybe a thicker gauge wire through the shank in a sort of rosary link ?? ie loops on each side of shank to attach.