Having a Jewelry Niche Has Given me Focus

by Nicole Green.
(United States Gulf Coast)

Having a Jewelry Niche Has Given me Focus by Nicole Green  - featured on Jewelry Making Journal

Wire wrapped seashell pendants

Spring and summer are my most important seasons for my target customer.

I try to appeal to beach lovers & nature lovers.

I used to be all over the place with my jewelry.

With so many jewelry businesses out there, it is so important to have your own niche.

It took me a long time to find mine.

Crocheted cotton fiber and seashells

A good start for me was to figure out what materials I like best.

In my case, it was natural elements like pearls, leather, organic materials and so on.

Establishing a cohesive jewelry line has helped me stay focused in so many ways; from booth design to purchasing supplies and designing jewelry pieces.

Nicole Green
Beach Tribe Jewelry

• Louise says:

Such beautiful designs. I totally get you when you say it takes a long time to find your niche. I preferably like using wire but recently have started doing micro macrame, and love using nail polish to make my own cabs. I find it extremely difficult to concentrate on same designs. Colour choices has always been difficult and seem to favour blue, turquoise most often. Love your designs using colour and cowrie shells ❤

• Rena Klingenberg says:

Nicole, I so agree that having a niche focuses your efforts and builds clientele. Your seashell wraps echoing the contours of the shells make lovely summer accessories. Your work is gorgeous!

• I know what you mean. Hard to find one’s niche. Beautiful work!

• Debra Lowe says:

Gorgeous, looks like your niche has been discovered~

• Janet says:

those are beautiful and what a great idea. it does not prevent you from developing new lines in the future if you find something else that appeals to you

• Jody says:

Finding my niche has been very difficult and I have been struggling with it for YEARS. I think I am beginning to understand what benefits having a niche can bring to your business. But it is challenging to decide which directions NOT to go and what narrower paths to stay on with my designs. I love vintage, I love repurposing, I love Boho and Native American, also love rustic earthy natural and incorporating leather and stone and fibers, as well as the use of wire and fabric and lace. I am so easily drawn away from one thing onto another and really need some help with getting past that and deciding where to focus – at least for this season. Next season can go another way. Thanks for sharing, it has shed a bit more light on my dilemma!

• Augusta says:

You have certainly found your niche.
    Love copper cross and guitar earrings.
    Nice jewellery.

• maryb says:

I see the wisdom in finding a jewelry-making niche, but I am fairly new at jewelry making, and am still like the “kid in the candy store.” I am very busy now exploring techniques and styles, and am loving the variety that I am discovering. I think that I should focus on finding a niche at some point, but I am afraid that it would become boring, and my creativity would stagnate. Are my fears groundless?

• Hi MaryB, I think the most valuable thing you can do right now is to continue exploring every jewelry technique that catches your fancy. Learn and play and create. It’s not mandatory to ever have a niche. There’s no “should”. Just follow your muse. If you feel that you do want to lean toward a jewelry niche, you will come into it naturally – or you may go through several periods of various niches – or you may never lean toward a niche at all. Your journey is as unique as you are. 🙂 And when you feel ready, please share one of your jewelry creations here in the JMJ community!

• Heather says:

Hi Rena,

I like what you said re: following your muse! I really don’t know how any of us who are truly the creative types can do otherwise! I know I certainly have and can identify with those who say they’re “all over the map” with their designs. But I think there does naturally come a point – either fiscally or from well-meaning business advice sinking in – where one determines what works best for one’s “branding” and what we want to be known for in the market. But meanwhile we have all acquired skills, which is invaluable.

Thank you for this forum – very helpful indeed! 🙂