Easy Set Up Earring Display

by Misty Doy.
(Canonsburg, PA)

Easy Set Up Earring Display by Misty Doy  - featured on Jewelry Making Journal

The first case

I’m fairly new to the craft show circuit, but the first thing I knew I had to work on was set up time.

I have over 300 pairs of just novelty earrings, and putting them on traditional earring racks, then removing them at the end of the day, was taking FOREVER.

I begged my husband to create something that would be easy to put up AND easy to transport.

Easy Set Up Earring Display by Misty Doy  - featured on Jewelry Making Journal

Of course, one wasn’t enough, so this was case #2

These cases were the answer!

1” x 3”s, pegboard, hinges, j hooks, spray paint and sealer was all it took.

We added latches and a handle after the fact.

They measure 36” tall and have two hinged 24” wide panels.

Now, all I have to do is set them on the table and open them!

Easy Set Up Earring Display by Misty Doy  - featured on Jewelry Making Journal

I turned these around and used them as backdrops on my tables after shooting this pic.

I’m working on custom earring cards to bring a little color and am debating some hot pink pinstripes to match our logo.

I was initially worried about stability, but we encountered some fairly robust wind last weekend and didn’t experience a single issue.

I still showcase my beaded pieces on small earring stands, but for my inexpensive earrings and pendants, these work PERFECTLY, shaving almost a full 45 minutes off of my set up time!

Misty Doy
Sis ‘n That

• Louise says:

These are the coolest cases I have ever seen! You could sell them to other vendors. I would buy one for sure!

• Rena Klingenberg says:

A great solution and an easy way to transport the earrings, Misty! I love displays that can be loaded up at home and easily transported to the show. Looks very professional too.

• Missy says:

Great set up!

• Diana M Pucci says:

Hi Misty, I am glad these are working for you. Some years ago I made something like this, but found that, when I opened my case the earrings and necklaces had not stayed in place. What are you using to keep them from jumbling up? Thank you.

• Misty says:

I’d never be able to talk my husband into that! Lol. Thanks for the response here. I really appreciate it!

• Misty says:

I use J hooks, and for transport, the case fits the measurements of a king-sized pillow! I emptied some stuffing out of one and place it between the panels to keep things from moving. I haven’t had a single item fall off the hooks!

• Diane says:

Well, if your hubby wouldn’t want to make them, perhaps he can sell and mail printed sheets with directions on how to make them. Be sure to copyright the directions though. Just a thought : )

• Debi Nowak-Hawkes says:

How do you attach the earring cards to the pegboard? It’s hard to see in the photo.

• Carolyn says:

Very clever and creative !

• Carol says:

Love the idea!

• Misty Doy says:

I used black j hooks made for pegboard and relatively inexpensive on Amazon. Not sure how this works here, but you are welcome to email me, and I can send more detailed pics. Sisnthat@gmail.com.

• Mary Anne says:

This is not only brilliantly efficient, but it looks great too! Wow!

• Mary Anne says:

A sheet of “quilt batting” would work. You can buy it by the yard at fabric stores like JoAnns.

• Mary Anne says:

Misty, did you paint your j hooks black? It’s such a beautifully clean look. Also, where do you get the black earring cards?

• Misty says:

Thank you so much! I purchased the earring cards from Store Supply Warehouse. These are the ones I use:

Ordered the black j hooks from Amazon:

The cases are 36” tall and 48” wide (in total). In the case that is all earrings, I’m able to fit 160 pairs on the cards, and that is with leaving generous space between.

Hope that helps!

• michele says:

awesome idea!

• Deb says:

I also had my husband build some of these for me. They are great!! Just throw a piece of foam in the middle and a close it up so they don’t rattle or fall off and it transports so easy!! I have used them for about 5 years now and love them!!!

• Jude Moscatello says:

Great idea! I spent a great deal of time chasing after my earrings at my outdoor show every time the wind kicked up. This looks like a wonderful solution. Thanks!