Can’t Stop Lava Beads from Bleeding

by Shala.

Can't Stop Lava Beads from Bleeding  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

My Lava beads bleed. I tried washing it , soaking it, vinegar, oxi clean, olive oil.

Nothing works.

It seems to bleed from inside the hole with thread.

Does anyone know what to do?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Shala.

• Dawn Carpino says:

Hi Shala,
    Thank you for asking this question. I have bought some lava beads (black ones). I’m assuming they are not dyed. I haven’t used them yet, I had no idea lava beads would “bleed”. Are the ones you used a color? I have seen some dyed purple or blue. I’m wondering if the undyed ones bleed also. I’m hoping someone with experience with this kind of bead answers you. Now I’m afraid to use what I bought.

• Sarah B says:

Hi Dawn,

I made a necklace using black lava beads that I bought at Michael’s. I made it years ago and have worn it quite a bit. I don’t know about other colors but my black beads have never bled.

• Louise says:

I have never heard of this?! What does it bleed? Colour or oil? I have heard that lava beads can be coated with a thin wax layer to protect the bead, and say that it should be removed before adding essential oils if using.

• Jean says:

I have used lava beads and never had this problem. The only thing I can come up with is if the beads were dyed, that might be what is bleeding off. I suppose you could try coating the beads with a clear fingernail polish, especially if they are touching your skin. Good luck with this–it’s hair-pulling to make something and then have this happen.

• Kimberly says:

I have never worked with lava beads but maybe try to seal them with clear nail polish, or a spray sealer.

• Barbara McIntyre says:

Hi Shala,
    Are you putting essential oils on them. If so, I wonder if that is the reason you are having trouble with bleeding and others are not. I have seen other postings with the same problem you are having. Unfortunately, there is never an answer for the problem.