Storing Jewelry Supplies & Tools – Rena’s System

by Rena Klingenberg.

Storing Jewelry Supplies and Tools - Rena Klingenberg

Storing jewelry supplies in a tiny transparent trunk, stashed in my “steampunk parts” drawer.

I’ve developed a simple system for storing my jewelry supplies and tools – and keeping them organized.

I’ve been using this storage system for about 12 years, and it works really well for me.

Also, I tend to be a minimalist, so I don’t have a huge tool collection – I’m happiest when I have streamlined collection of versatile tools that can do everything I need.

But First,
a Bit of Background:

Instead of having a dedicated jewelry workspace in my home, I make jewelry in various places around the house.

I like the freedom to work and create in different spaces – so my storage system is designed for that.

I do most of my work in stackable plastic jewelry trays measuring 8.3″ x 14.75″ x 1.5″, which are lined with ultrasuede display pads made for these trays (trays and pads are available at most jewelry display suppliers):

Making jewelry in a plastic jewelry tray with ultrasuede pad - Rena Klingenberg.

I work sitting on the floor on a comfortable cushion – often at the coffee table, or next to the low window in the living room where there’s lots of natural daylight.

So my storage system is designed to make it easy for me to bring only the tools and supplies I need for my project, to whatever place I’m going to work.

Except for my beads, nearly everything I use is stored in inexpensive plastic 3-drawer containers:

Storage

Each three-drawer container measures 10.5″ x 13″ x 9.5″.

Each individual drawer inside that container measures 9.5″ x 12.5″ x 2.5″.

When I’m ready to make some jewelry, I just pull out whichever individual drawer(s) I need and carry them to wherever I’m going to work.

Storing Jewelry Tools, Wire, & Metals:

Here’s how I store my tools, wire, and sheet metal in the top half of a hall closet (which was originally intended for storing sheets and towels):

Jewelry supplies and tools stored in drawers - Rena Klingenberg

I love the portability of my supplies with this system – and being able to pull out just one or two drawers that have what I need, and taking them to my work area.

For example, if I’ll be wireworking, I simply pull out the drawer that holds my pliers, cutters, etc., and carry it to my work area:

Storing jewelry tools - Rena Klingenberg

Making copper wire rings? I pull out my copper drawer (each metal drawer holds all of my wire, sheet, and scraps for that type of metal) and carry it over to my work area:

Storing copper wire and sheet metal - Rena Klingenberg

Hammering? I pull out the drawer that holds my steel block and hammers and take it to my work area:

Storing jewelry hammers and steel block - Rena Klingenberg

And so on.

For me this is such a handy and flexible system!

There are also a few other jewelry supplies on these closet shelves:

Bottom Shelf:

My tumbler and the strainers I use for washing or rinsing jewelry items are behind the drawers.

My wooden bracelet mandrel is to the right of the drawers.

My metal stamps are to the left of the drawers.

Middle Shelf:

Extra jewelry ziplock bags are in a box behind the drawers.

E-6000 glue and Diamond Glaze are to the left of the drawers.

Top Shelf:

A bag of fabric, a craft mat, and a couple of bead-boards are behind the drawers.

A stack of black plastic jewelry trays are to the left of the drawers.

An optivisor and protective goggles are to the right of the drawers.

Storing Beads:

Here’s how I store my beads – in mini jewelry ziplock bags, and then sorted by color into plastic storage boxes on a bookshelf:

Bead storage idea - sorted by color in stackable storage containers - Rena Klingenberg

(These boxes don’t actually lean like the Tower of Pisa!)

I typed up the bead-color labels on my computer, printed them, and attached them to the front of these boxes with wide, clear packing tape.

These rectangular plastic storage boxes measure about 8″ x 12″ x 3.5″.

I can easily bring whichever bead color box(es) I need, to wherever I’m going to work.

Storing Other Jewelry Supplies:

For all of my other jewelry-making odds and ends, I use four more of these plastic drawer units, on a shelf just above my bead boxes:

Storing and organizing jewelry supplies - Rena Klingenberg

These drawers hold things like chains, mini jewelry frames, charms, washers, steampunk / hardware components, cancelled postage stamps, shrinky plastic sheets, cabochons, my handmade jewelry findings / components, my various sizes of jewelry ziplock bags, etc.

And again, by sorting these things into drawers, I can pull out only the drawer(s) I need.

You should be able to find plastic drawers and boxes similar to mine at dollar stores, thrift stores, and Walmart / Target type of stores.

Cleanup is Fast!

That’s the other thing that suits me about storing my jewelry supplies this way – it’s so easy to get my jewelry-making mess cleaned up and put away.

Everything goes back easily into its proper drawer (or bead box) that I’ve carried to my workspace.

And from there it’s only a few seconds until each drawer or box is back in its regular storage place.

If my jewelry project is unfinished, it just stays in its tray, which I stack up on the top shelf of my jewelry closet till the next session!

If you have several unfinished jewelry projects in progress, each can live in its own tray, neatly stacked up.

If you’ve made several pieces of jewelry, you can store the finished pieces in one of your stacked jewelry trays, with the jewelry between layers of no-tarnish silvercloth (available at fabric stores), until you’re ready to clean and/or tumble a batch of them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Be the first to know the newest secrets
of making and selling jewelry...

free subscription to Jewelry Business Success News

Comments

1. Good to know that you’re as ocd as I am when it comes to storage, Rena <3 That's pretty much what my bead storage closet looks like, but with some non-sorted bags stuck around waiting for their own storage box. It makes things soooo much easier.

2. I agree, Cyndi, this storage system is the best I’ve ever used – easy to find things, and easy to get everything put away. Funny to hear you’re ocd about storage too! 🙂

3. Wonderful Rena!…Timely reporting and thank you. I was only yesterday sorting out a whole table of different gauged silver wire, findings etc that had grown while I wasn’t looking. I always knew deep down that there was someone else out there who sat on the floor in different rooms and, unlike me, had a system to go with it….such practical geniusness!!. I have amazing light in certain rooms of the house but just like to wander really.
    I get myself into a terrible muddle with items for a specific project being in different places and altho knew I needed a liitle box system of some kind, I just never got around to it; they are so cheap too. Hope all is well with you and thanks again!
    Bev

4. Marie Bryan says:

We are also very much alike when it comes to storage. My wonderful husband converted a huge t.v. cabinet for me. He put a back on it so things wouldn’t fall into land of the lost. He added two shelves where the television went. The space where the DVR went holds boxes I rarely need. The left side of the unit has a glass front door where all the beads go. I also have gotten a tool storage system from Home Depot for all those parts and pieces that you find. It has a variety of sized drawers. I have also found those plastic boxes that can be divided into individual sizes are a great deal cheaper at the hardware store than the craft store.

5. Beverly Holman says:

Being an unorganized person, this system will work for me. My storage system at the moment is in disarray that I spend more time searching for supplies. Most of my supplies is in plastic bins and plastic bags. I wonder how I ever complete projects. Your system has been in the back of my mind but worried if it will work. I love this newsletter, always getting great ideas and suggestions.

6. I love being portable! I never know what I am going ts work on but like you, keep wire and tools together, beads in one spot, findings in another. I go one step further and have a small plastic storage box just for earring “setups”. I find that if I take the time, once every month or so, to collect a pair of beads, the headpins, contrast beads, earwires, beadcaps, etc. in each section. Then when I make earrings, my setups are ready to go and all I have to do is sit back and create.

7. Great minds think alike! This system is nearly identical to the way I store my beads and supplies. It works very well for me. Looks like it does for you too!

8. I love the idea of organizing drawers to pull out for projects! I am super organized myself with drawers from Target but with my inventory to ship. However I need to work on organizing my supplies and tools I work with. Thank you for sharing and inspiring. 🙂

9. Heeeeey!

Thank you so much, I was pulling my hair out trying to come up with an organized way to store my craft items, things, stuff; lol. but now, I can use this system to organize my way to a more organized craft room. Thank you, thank you, and thank you again Rena. I’m excited about getting started!

Rose
    From Riverview, Florida
    Keeping it crafty!!

10. Leslie Schmidt says:

I have 22 (full) of these three-drawer units that I purchased from Target (Sterilite brand). Mine have little knobs on the drawers, which I like. I also have mine sorted by color of glass or gemstone beads (white, black, brown, purple, white, pink, blue, aqua/turquoise, green), color of metal (gold, silver, copper), then I have other drawers of plastic beads (not glass), tools, mandrels (medicine bottles, deoderant container for bracelet mandrel, etc.), wire (good silver & gold), memory wire, one drawer for beads & findings for sea/ocean (a favorite theme), one drawer for leaves (another favorite theme), one drawer for swarovski or similar crystals, one drawer for plastic baggies (also keep these on top of one drawer set for easy grabbing from their boxes), one drawer for post-it-note papers, one of stretch magic cord sizes, a larger drawer from a wheeled set with cords and ribbons for necklaces and bookmarks, etc. I have several drawers full of acrylic beads that are sized (4 mm – 12 mm), several with pony beads sorted by colors and styles (The Beadery used to sell directly and I have several bags of specialty beads from them in themes such as aquatic, zoo, farm animals). I have a whole room full of goodies awaiting my inspiration. I also have a lot of stuff I need to put away, as I have stuff out that I’m not working on, and as the seasons change I change what I am working on. I also have my tools in/on a wooden holder that was supposed to be for silverware/napkins and I love it!!! I have my work station on a 4 foot plastic table from Staples (it’s overflowing, must clean), a lot of stuff on my art table next to it (never get used for painting, which is why I got it). I wanted a shelf to sit on top of my table at the back for keeping things organized, couldn’t find one, so put together three pieces of wood and glued it together (love it). Drove the hardware store guys crazy with my project ideas that they couldn’t help me with so I created my own. Put a hanging unit on my door to my art room which I hung all my bags onto (can’t close the door with them on, but it looks decorative and freed up some space). Have to bungie-cord the door closed right now as we have four four-month-old kittens who think my beads are great toys and anything is theirs. I also have six cookie sheets with bead mats inside and bead trays that I used to create on (stacked at the moment as my inspiration keeps changing). At my jewelry class I use cookie sheets from the dollar store with vinyl shelf paper inside instead of bead mats so have all these supplies inside a bag ready to grab and go (cookie sheets with vinyl bead mats, binder with class instructions, metal rulers, extra tool sets, great books for examples, money bag, photo albums of my work, etc.). There is a large plastic four-drawer unit in the closet for all my yarns (I knit and crochet scarves and hats for our church youth to hand out to the homeless in January) and on top of that are several large clear lidded carry units that house my other projects and supplies (lunch bag art, graduation lei charms and cords and flowers). My watercolor class material is in three bags that haven’t even made it into the room yet ad I keep pulling them out. I have two large bookcase units with books and more supplies. It’s never ending but I love having the opportunities to be creative that I denied for so many years taking care of family. Thanks to Rena, I have lots of creative ideas to explore and can’t wait to do them all!!!

11. If you are lucky enough to live near an IKEA, check out their storage solutions. I have furnished my bead studio with their cabinets, shelving, bookcases, and tables. When my son grew up & moved out, his room was being converted to a craft studio before he got out of the driveway! I also use the tool drawer organizers from Sears Craftsman tool units. I use a stacking system for in-progress projects. I can’t stand clutter!

12. Thank you so much! I have been trying to think of ideas to organize my raw materials and sometimes I over-analyze but this is a great way to organize especially for the beads by color.

13. Love your storage system -very tidy and neat. Mine isn’t as tidy and this is a good reminder for me to start re-organising things. But I am also pressed for space. I work in two areas – my bench outside in our conservatory and I work also in the living room (occcasionally also use the kitchen). While the bench is mainly used for polymer clay and silver smithing, my living room table or even sofa is dedicated to bead work and other jewellery techniques. So a lot of my polymer clay stuff is stacked in a movebable plastic trolley with drawers, whil tools are in an overhead cupboard and in deep boxes on Ikea shelves. Ikea used to make some fab plastic boxes with flexible compartments and I bought loads of them – these are for storing beads, finding etc. However my beads and findings tend to stay in their original bags they came with – mainly so I know the number and know what each item costs and where I bought them from. When I have some time I will have to rea-arrange things, as I really like your system.

14. coraNation says:

I have a similar system. I stopped using ziplocks in exchange for recycled food containers or tin cans, washed and labeled for the item contained. I still have trouble managing my open projects. I appreciate everyone’s comments. You can always borrow/adapt what others are doing to fit your situation. Thanks all.

15. Leslie Schmidt says:

I keep my working/open projects on a cookie sheet with either a bead mat, a bead tray, or a piece of vinyl shelf liner (dollar store). I have cookie sheets with vinyl shelf liner from the dollar store for my classes, I use ones from Target for at home that are a bit larger and more sturdy, but each sheet has a project I am currently working on so I can stack them, put them aside to work on something else, and each tray holds the current project items from rolling off. Sometimes I have to unload a tray to clear my area or find tools, but it works for me.

16. I finally bought a workbench from Harbor Freight Tools and store all my hammers in two of the drawers. It has four drawers so one has scissors and a few pliers while the last has tools for eyelet setting, dapping…

To give the bins and trays a home, I went to Habitat for Humanity’s Restore. I bought a bookshelf and two huge entertainment centers for great prices giving great organization in one tidy place. That still didn’t get ‘er done so the strands hang on one wall.

It does look like a bead store but it’s also so easy to find what I want now rather than digging through larger bins and boxes.

17. Hi, Rena! Thanks for sharing your storage ideas. I have a craft room that up until recently was my daughter’s bedroom (ah, college…). We repainted the walls in robin’s egg blue with white trim & vintage black & white snapshots from an old ’70s board game instead of a wallpaper border. I find I work best when I can see all my bead colors…If I don’t see them, I forget I have them & then I don’t use them! And besides-one of the main reasons I *love* beads is just because they are just so darned pretty, so I figured I’d use the beads themselves as my decor. I go to thrift stores & rummage sales & buy vintage spice racks with clear glass jars & put my glass beads, pearls, acrylics, & coordinated bead mixes in them. I spray paint all the spice racks gloss white, and that gives them a nice pulled-together look, even though the racks & bottles themselves are all different styles, sizes, & shapes. This works for me, but I sure do like the idea of using the separate drawers for tools & metals!

18. Sheila Meador says:

Good ideas shared by everyone. I love being a part of this group! I converted the sunroom into a jewelry studio and placed my work desk facing the wall of windows. It overlooks the woods and is very relaxing while getting sunshine in the afternoon.

I already have my wire and chain in a container with silver findings, silver charms, spacers, and beads in another. I had originally sorted and stored my bead collection by gemstone, acrylic, glass, etc. However, after reading this blog, I think I will switch to zip lock bags and sort beads by color. I think that will help me so much!

19. Hi,
    I just wanted to start my small scale jewelry business with less expensive materials like silver plated, gold plated wires, findings , glass beads, stones etc. I am little concerned about buying materials in bulk. Would the materials become dull or loose its aesthetics if i store it for a long time at home??

20. Leslie Schmidt says:

Keep your metals in plastic bags with either the packets that come in your vitamin supplements or anti-tarnish strips or anti-tarnish Pacific Cloth covering it. I live in a damp, foggy climate and over the years a few things have tarnished but not as much as I thought it would. I use a sonic cleaner I bought from Amazon for $40 to clean things that can be put inside (some stones cannot), I use an electric toothbrush and white toothpaste to clean small stuff, cleaning cloths for hand cleaning, etc. Watch how much you use cleaning cloths and silver cleaning as it will rub the plating off silver and gold metals and that can’t be replaced. I learned to use more sterling silver in certain items as the base metal in silver plated or gold plated items (such as head pins) will eventually tarnish and make a piece look like cheap jewelry. Have fun learning and enjoy the journey.

21. This is similar to my storage as well. But alas I think I might be just a tad bit OCD because your steampunk drawer gave me fits. I would have it all organized by shape and size as well. No rooting around for the right piece. I started my system real early on as I wanted everything to be portable for weekends at the cottage.

22. Paula J Countryman says:

Thank you! I have tons of jewelry supplies and beads and colors and etc!! I am so unintentionally unorganized though. I use medicine bottles, empty creamer and coffee containers, glass jars, shoe boxes and a tool cabinet with several drawers of beads. I will bring a shoe box of something to the table, then see something else I like and bring that and soon, my table and chairs are so full I don’t have room nor can I find the right things to make my creations. It just so happens I have two of these plastic dresser drawer cabinets with bubble wrap and plastic bags and beading magazines, so I plan on getting more now, labeling and getting organized.

23. Joy Woelfer says:

Where did you find your containers? Thanks.

24. Hi Joy, thanks for asking! The containers and drawers came from the dollar store and Walmart.

25. Cat Slavin says:

I love the ideas shared here! I use a similar system to Rena’s, with the addition of a couple dozen clearly labeled 6 quart clear plastic shoe boxes with lids which stack perfectly in the 72 inch bookcase in my shop.

One problem area . . . I have recently begun working with wire, primarily copper, and have already accumulated quite a range of gauges, degrees of hardness and shape (round, half round & square). The smaller gauges (8, 10, 12, etc.) cannot be rolled up small enough to fit the boxes or drawers.

Do you have any advice on how to store and organize smaller gauge wire???

26. Hi Cat! You can get plastic drawers like mine, but in a larger size – 12″ x 12″ – made for scrapbooking paper. If you can’t find them at Walmart / Target type of stores, check in craft stores or other places where scrapbooking supplies are sold. 🙂

27. Hi Rena,
    Just wondering why you keep things in plastic bags and not use the 20 compartment plastic containers where you can see the beads and findings and not have to pick through the bags to see what you need… Is there a reason for this or just your choice?… I love to learn and your pages are so helpful…

28. Hi Janet, thank you for your lovely compliment! Also for your interesting question.

At one time, I did have some of the compartment containers, but somehow they just weren’t a good fit with the way I work.

With the baggies, I can just bring out whichever baggies have the specific components / beads I need, instead of bringing the boxes. And with beads, I like to be able to set out several possible baggies of beads while I decide which colors / shapes to use.

Also if I have a large stash of a certain bead, I can just keep them in a bigger baggie instead of filling several compartments in a box with them.

And if I’m going to make jewelry away from home, it’s easier to just toss a few specific baggies of beads / components into a plastic 3-drawer container (one drawer for tools, one for wire, one for beads & components).

I think it’s all about what works for you when you’re designing. When I’m in creativity mode, I want my storage system to flow with me effortlessly – so if anything feels like it’s slowing me down, taking my attention away from creating, or making me fiddle with it, I figure out how to streamline it so it flows.

29. Karen Sorey says:

I’m ready to chunk everything over the balcony of this temporary apartment! We moved from our 2500 square foot home (where I used our formal dining room, of course, since it had multiple large and deep cabinets and my antique buffet with multiple drawers and two side doors that opened and closed WITH shelves inside, in Ridgeland, Mississippi, where I had plenty of storage space, to this small “open style” apartment (in the lease it states 1000 sq. ft. but there is no way this is any larger that 700 sq. ft. lol) until our home sells and we can purchase a home here in Spanish Fort, Alabama. I have no idea what to do, especially since, after a traumatic brain injury, I have absolutely NO SHORT TERM MEMORY…so if I store things in multiple places, I won’t even remember where or what I have! Sorry to be dumping all this on ya’ll but, I’M LOSING IT!!!!! Sincerely, Karen Sorey

30. Cat Slavin says:

Karen Sorey – hang on! Don’t give up!!! I’ve discovered that when we have a small amount of floor space, we have to use it wisely. . . . and go UP!

Think about several 6 foot tall bookcases (cheap ones) for temporary storage.

Well labeled clear plastic storage units, drawers, shoe boxes, etc, stack easily and are easily accessed.

I found by stacking them back to back and side to side to form a couple “U”s similar to this — L_JL_J — I’ve tripled my storage space. (Be sure they’re secured to the wall so they don’t tip.)

31. Rena, Please share with me where you purchased your jewelry trays and the ultrasuede pads for them. Loved your idea.

Trudy

32. Thank you Trudy! I’ve gotten them from many jewelry suppliers / display suppliers over the years – but most of mine have come from NileCorp.com and Fetpak.com . You can also find them on Amazon.com . You may want to do a Google search for “plastic jewelry trays” and compare prices not only on the trays and pads, but also on the shipping cost.

33. Thanks for the quick reply. I have been scourging amazon all afternoon trying to find the trays and the ultrasuede insert pads…This really points me in the right direction. 🙂

34. What a strange coincidence! I am a retired teacher. I had various plastic containers to hold my teaching supplies. I recently found the three drawer plastic storage unit that Rena was talking about, before I read this article. I needed storage for my wire. I gave each drawer two or three different sizes, such as 22 and 24 gauge, 18 and 20, etc. I label what is in each drawer. I put each size in a zippered plastic bag. I put a little black square of anti tarnish paper in each bag. I label each bag. It’s been working fine so far, with less tarnish and more organization.

35. Great minds think alike, Carol! 🙂 I’m glad this system works well for you too. It’s such an easy way to organize wire and other supplies!

36. Joyce Lewis says:

Wonderful storage ideas -When we moved from our larger home to a smaller one level retirement home I converted a large closet with folding doors -in my laundry room into shelving space and a built in table and chair area that I can close up and leave messy if I wish. I also use a black fireplace screen with fold out sides to store strings of beads on ..I use paper c lips to hang things on the mesh wire screen and keep the screen up on top of a large cupboard -which is eye level .You could also hang it on the wall.

37. Great workspace ideas, Joyce! I love the idea of being able to leave projects in progress, simply shutting the doors to hide it all. Also an interesting innovation of using paper clips to hang items on a wire screen where you can see them.

38. Awesome feedback from everyone. I also live in a small 2bdrm condo and space is a major issue especially since I am a bead/jewelry hoarder (smile). For most of my storage, I use the shoe boxes from Dollar Tree, yep, $1.00 and I think my daughter has found similar shoe boxes at Wal-Mart of less than $1.00. For the label I just use masking tape (paper tape). It’s been about 2 yrs. and it’s functional…so far. Thanks Rena, it’s good to see your set-up.

39. Robin Hudson says:

I have an extremely basic question regarding storage. How do you store your stuff and keep/remember the cost associated with each item, especially if, for example, you lump all your purple beads of differing values together?

As far as space, forgetaboutit! My “workshop” is a tiny walk-in closet in our rental house. I built a small worktable into the back. The owner has installed wire shelving units on either side, so I’m using those for my storage. I have every manner of small container – baby food jars; pickle jars; those tiny food containers you get with big sets, but never use for anything; anything transparent. I’ve stopped cross-stitching, so I have a bunch of floss boxes, those are very handy. I even bought some of those little tin jars with the transparent lids for magnetic spice racks. I plan to make a “bead rack” one of these days!

40. Leslie Schmidt says:

Robin: I hope you have read all the comments above as there are loads of ideas you can glean from. I put my things sorted by color and item in plastic baggies, stick a label on the front if it didn’t come shipped this way, list where it came from (Fire Mountain Gems is FMG, B’Sue Boutiques is B’Sue, Michael’s is M, Joann’s is J, Beverly Crafts is Bev, etc.), month/year date, #of items, total cost per item which includes tax and shipping, order # if room on your label and it isn’t already there. Then I keep like things together (wire, silver findings, gold findings, copper findings, brass findings, by color). Cheap plastic beads are in one three-drawer container, expensive glass Swarovski crystals are in another drawer, pearls are in another drawer, paints in one or more container with lids. I love to use dollar store cookie sheets to work on, use the vinyl shelf paper cut to fit so the stuff doesn’t roll around or off, then they are stackable as I always have multiple projects going at any one time. You will gradually find what system works for you as you try different containers. If I want purple beads, I pull out my purple drawer and go through the beads, pulling out the baggies I think I want and everything stays contained that way. The drawers keep everything sorted and neat for me.

41. Norma Coy says:

Hi Rena I have just found your site and I just love your ideas of storage, but unfortunately I cannot put your ideas into operation. My hubby and I sold our lovely 3 bedroomed house where I had the entire roof space as my craft room, complete with shelves and cupboards, large work table, computer etc, and a television and moved into a 28 foot motorhome, so I had to be ruthless and get rid of some of my craft stash. I have a very large storage cupboard under the seating area which goes from one side to the other and is accessed from a door on the outside of the motorhome. I can carry a fair bit, but I am governed by weight (my hubby doesn’t know what I have actually got in there, luckily). We have just spent 2 months in France and Spain and prior to going away, I sold most of my card making items as I lost some of my inspiration when my Dad passed away in 2007, and it totally disappeared when my Mom passed away in 2011. I wasn’t sad to see it go really, as it meant I could replace it with genuine gemstones and wire etc. I use the conventional plastic storage boxes with removable dividers, and the gemstones are all in alphabetical order so I know roughly where they are. All the items are in re-sealable zipper bags and I write on them what is inside each bag and how much it cost me, which helps when I come to price my jewellery. I made some jewellery on my travels and put it with some items I took with me, and had a stall at a Christmas market in Spain and sold quite a bit of jewellery. When the weather is nice I craft outside, but go indoors at other times. So, that’s how I store and make my jewellery and at the moment, I wouldn’t have it any other way, but I have enjoyed reading what others do and will be putting some of the ideas to use.

42. Thank you for this post, Rena. I don’t have a separate area for beading so there is a wall linking my living room to kitchen (open floor plan), and along that wall I have placed a Sterilite roller 5 drawer case. This case holds findings, stringing materials, gemstone, Swarovskis and large beads. I have two compartmentalised clear cases for small beads. My work trays hold my tools which really are just scissors, pins and different pliers and cutters for the time being. Charms and other metal-based findings – whether sterling, gold filled or base metal – are kept separately in clear plastic jewelry bags.

I saw a blog post sometime ago where the author re-purposes wooden berry baskets/crates, glass jam jars etc for storage. She keeps stringing materials, etc in these new containers. I found those ideas rather practical and if you are big on recycling and reusing old containers then this is a sure way to play your part.

I am slightly OCD so I like to have a dedicated area for storage. I tend to bead when I am watching television, other than that I will use the dining table 🙂

Thanks again!!

43. Tasha, thanks for sharing how you store your stash – it’s always helpful to hear how other jewelry artists handle storage and organization issues! 🙂

Share Your Thoughts