What Are These Beads?

by Joybelle Malcolm.
(Atlanta, GA)

The first photo is the whole batch of beads. The second and third photos are closeups of the beads.

What Are These Beads?  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

Beads! What are they?

I bought these stones several years ago; however, I don’t remember from where and type of stones they are.

What Are These Beads?  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

Please take a look and help me figure this out. I tried Google Images but didn’t have much luck.

What Are These Beads?  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

Joybelle Malcolm
Bellejoy Jewelry
Bellejoy Jewelry Designs

• Hi Joybelle! A colorful group of beads! It looks to me that they are all glass, but I’m interested to hear other opinions on these beads!

• Stella says:

Are they not some type of lamp work bead
    Perhaps.They are very pretty and unusual.

• Betty says:

I agree with Stella, they look like lamp work beads to me.

• Irene McIntosh says:

All lampwork glass beads.

• Louise says:

They look very much the glass lampwork beads from China, but I could be wrong 😉

• Joy says:

I think some of them are murrine.

• cecilia davis-taylor says:

Definitely lamp work beads. The amber and black one on bottom right have an Italian look with the aventurine goldstone. Thanks for sharing.

• Millicent Kirathe says:

The beads look like different colours of melted, friendly plastic bottle stripes, combined together to form swirls. Then made to shine by applying colourless cutex.

• Thank you everyone!

I was truly stuck, then I remembered my “Rena” family 🙂

Thanks again for the info. all…

• Tammy says:

Looks like glass to me.

• All of these beads are lampwork glass beads made by adding several different colors at different stages of the processes. The molten glass is then pressed into the ‘lentil’ bead shape and annealed.

• Robin Judd says:

Lampwork glass. Murrini is usually patterned pieces added to the glass bead as it is being made, like a flower or such.

• They are certainly what Americans call lampwork. The first ones probably American made (because of the tool used – we do a similar one, but we bought the tools in the US and had modified to work in Murano, so as I know it we have the only tooling there). The rectangle with soft corners is likely to be Venetian, due to the shape, It appears to have a base of opaque white with transparent red over it (what we call Caramella), The Topaz tone with the swirl, is Venetian. We carried it a long time ago and the beadmaker is now retired….which is why we no longer have it. The one next to it is most likely also Venetian….a base of black, aventurina, small slices of murrine covered in cristallo. Each beadmaker has a certain set of tools, so often I can tell by the shape.
    Hope this helps.

• Christine Rehkop says:

Hi Joybelle! They all appear to be blown glass or lampwork glass beads.