Sources of Metal Pendant Blanks?

by Joan.
(Pennsylvania)

Sources of Metal Pendant Blanks?  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

Does anyone know a source to purchase the rectangular pieces of metal for pendants? Also does the metal come with the hole pre-drilled or must a hole be drilled and what do you use?

Joan
Raggs Enterprises

• Hi Joan, I make my own metal pendant blanks and punch a hole in them. Here’s how:
    Easy Riveted Pendant (Tutorial).

I hope this helps! 🙂

• Dianne says:

As Rena said, making your own is the way to go! But…you can also buy them. I buy most all my metals from Rio Grande Jewelry Making supplies. They do have pre drilled blanks in copper and silver, but really, give making your own a try, it’s so much more fun!

• The easiest way to make your own rectangular metal blanks is to decide what gauge of metal (silver, brass, copper, nickel-silver, etc.) you want, then find someone who will loan or will sell you one of those big, old, wooden paper cutters (with a decent blade). Mark your rectangles on your metal sheet , and cut them with the paper cutter. Flatten them (if needed) with your rawhide mallet. Smoothe the edges (if needed) with 4/0 steel wool. Years ago, my husband bought me a paper cutter that our church was getting rid of. I have loved it and used it ever since. It will not cut metal much thicker than 20-gauge, but is great for thinner gauges. (I don’t think the newer paper cutters, made with a plastic base, are nearly as good, but maybe they’d work for you.) –Judy

• Judy, thanks for this great tip!

• Mimi A says:

I use a couple of vendors…Bopper Metal Supply and Stamping Blanks. Some come with the hole already in place. Bopper will add a hole to some. I purchased a power punch from Stamping Blanks so I can make my own holes.

• I have used Beaducation.com (retail) and PJTools.com (wholesale) for blanks and stamping tools. They offer a big selection and are quick to ship.

• Lyone says:

Metalliferous.com has been my go to source for all things metal for many years.

• Karen Watson says:

Rose Metal Supply has metal blanks with holes punched. They also have them unpunched. Just put it into your search engine. They are in Springfield, Missouri.

• Carlene Hender says:

Cutting the shapes you need, punching the number of holes you really need and filing all rough edges is easier than it sounds. Give it a try with 28 or 30 gauge copper to start with. Don’t let this intimidate you, have fun and let your creative talent fly.

• Nancy Vaughan says:

While you are checking sites you might want to go to Monster Slayer. I’ve ordered from them several times and have always been pleased with my purchases. I’ve also bought 24ga sheet copper from them. They have all kinds of “stuff.”