Out of My Comfort Zone, into a New Jewelry Love

by Dawn.
(Syracuse NY)

Out of My Comfort Zone, into a New Jewelry Love, by Dawn  - featured on Jewelry Making Journal

Russian spiral bracelet, peyote stitch clasp

I found jewelry making by accident when I could no longer work outside my home.

I love cross stitch and would look at stitched jewelry with awe but was intimidated by the thought of trying it.

Simple peyote stitch ring

After 4 years of making simple strung jewelry and being in a rut, I jumped in with both feet with different stitches.

Using Off the Beaded Path and Jill Wiseman tutorials, I have learned peyote stitching, Russian spiral stitching, and the herringbone stitch.

Russian spiral bracelet with peyote stitched clasp

This was exactly the fire under my behind that I needed.

I now am selling my jewelry in a store at a local mall and am getting more custom orders. Now to conquer brick stitch…

Dawn
Bnb Crafts

• Rena Klingenberg says:

Terrific work with these intricate designs, Dawn. The contrasting colors show off the stitch work nicely. I’ll look forward to see your future creations with your new direction.

• Kay Richard says:

Love reading your story! I, too, was intimidated by all of the beautiful pieces I saw in bead magazines. Thank goodness for YouTube and all of the wonderful bead artists who freely share their knowledge. Kelly Dale and Jill Wiseman are at the top of my favorites. I also follow Stephanie at Bronzepony. Good luck and keep going. Your bracelets are lovely. Give Peyote with a Twist a try. Gerlinde is on Facebook and her followers are also very generous with their patterns.

• Dawn says:

Thank you so much for your wisdom and guidance!! I can’t tell you how many of your newsletters have helped me.

• Dawn says:

Thank you so much! I have seen peyote with a twist, it’s a beautiful stitch. i will also check out Gerlinde, thank you.

• Dawn, thank for your lovely message! 🙂

• Nancy Vaughan says:

What a challenging design to work with. I admire anyone who can use tiny seed beads and come out with a gorgeous creation like you have.

• Daisy says:

Stunning and beautiful well done!

• Dawn says:

• Rita says:

Beautiful stitching Dawn! I learned kumihimo on YouTube with “making it easy with Liz.” Also other artists have great videos on that technique. You may want to have a look at this method. I do both stitching and kumihimo. The results are similar. I like working with the kumihimo disks and knowing I’m doing a craft that is likely hundreds of years old.