One of My Ornate Works of Wearable Art

by Patricia C Vener.
(Connecticut USA)

Pink and green, I still have not titled this one!

I wanted to build something around the unakite (stone) beads and at the same time I wanted to experiment with the flat spiral weave.

Very specifically, I wanted to see if I could make it branch.

Close-up of One of My Ornate Works of Wearable Art by Patricia C Vener  - featured on Jewelry Making Journal

And of course I wanted to make it a major work of art using other weaves and stitches as well.

I decided to make a faux netting that looks like Renaissance lace.

I worked this necklace in parts and then joined and adapted them on a half display form.

Seed beads, faceted stone beads, Swarovski crystals are all included in this one!

Somewhere I have pictures of the work in progress, but of course I can’t find them now.

Maybe on my tablet… or phone….

Patricia C Vener
Vener Art
Patricia C Vener at Artwork Archive

• Thank you for including my work on your site and in the journal! The close ups you made from my single image are perfect!

• Patricia, we’re thrilled to have your intricate artistry here on JMJ! This neckpiece is jaw-dropping. Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

• Dawn Carpino says:

Totally awesome! It must have taken you many many hours to make this. It looks like it belongs in a museum.

• Sherry says:

Beautiful! I don’t have the patience for that kind of work.

• Katie VanPatten says:

I love seeing bead weaving artistry featured on this site. Patricia, your work is beautiful. How many hours did it take to make this gorgeous necklace?

• Moogie says:

You definitely accomplished your goals. Your piece is magnificent! This could be award winning! I encourage you to submit it to Fire Mountain Gems & Beads in their seed beading contest. And any other contest you can find. I do not do much “bead sewing” as I call it. It is not as enjoyable as other techniques. But I greatly enjoy looking at masterpieces like yours 🙂 I’m in awe!

• Patricia C Vener says:

Thank you Dawn! That is my goal: to create works that become part of museum collections. Well, and also private collections. Indeed it did take a quite a while.

• Patricia C Vener says:

Thank you Sherry! Yes, patience does help! So does being nearsighted (or having magnifying glasses for threading skinny needles!).

• Patricia C Vener says:

Thank you Katie!. Many, many hours. Part of that is because sometimes I decide I don’t like where a piece is going and I will take it back and rework things. But, indeed getting s new idea to work the way I want often takes trial and error steps.

• Patricia C Vener says:

Wow, Moogie, thank you so much. I shall have to look for some contests as I had not actually thought of that. Sadly, none of the beads were from FMG so I suppose that’s one contest I can’t qualify for.

But if anyone reading here knows of any others, please let me know! I’m psyched for sure now!

• Patricia C Vener says:

Thanks Rena. And now I’m tempted to up its price! LOL!

I am so grateful that you have this platform where we can share our works with one another.

• Thank you, Patricia! I’m always excited to see what everybody’s creating, and the story behind the piece. 🙂

• Debra Lowe says:

STUNNING…it is evident the amount of time and love that went into this beautiful piece, thanks for sharing your beautiful work~

• Thank you Debra! I am so glad you caught that. 🙂

• Alice Fitzgerald says:

What a beautiful work of art your necklace is. I was interested in your comment that you wanted to see if you could make a flat spiral weave “branch.” It is a unique sort of challenge to use a classic weave and then push the envelope to take it in a new direction.

• Patricia C Vener says:

Thank you Alice! I do like to set myself challenges especially the kind that go in uncharted areas. I believe that this is how I can expand my artistic vision and abilities.

• This is spectacular! What beautiful and intricate work! Thanks for sharing!

• Patricia C Vener says:

I’m glad you enjoyed seeing it, Diane. Thank you!

• Ruth says:

That’s totally amazing! The colours are gorgeous and it’s so intricate, it must have taken days to work. I’d be as proud as a peacock if I could make anything half as good.

• Patricia C Vener says:

Thanks Ruth. Sadly, it took a lot longer than “days!”

🙂