What I Learned by Visiting Artists’ Online Shops

by Rena Klingenberg.

What I Learned by Visiting Artists' Online Shops, by Rena Klingenberg, Jewelry Making Journal

When I was new to selling my jewelry online, I used to look at other artists’ shops much differently than I do now.

Back then I visited their online shops as part of a research mission – trying to pinpoint the “best way” to sell handmade items on the Web.

And although that’s no longer why I visit artists’ online shops, here are some insights I gained from that research:

6 things I learned from
visiting artists’ online shops

1. There isn’t just one best way of making sales in an online shop. Many different approaches can be successful.
  2. What works for one artist online may not work for others – even if their work is in the same genre.
  3. When you see an artist charging particular prices (either high or low) – that doesn’t mean they’re necessarily making sales at those prices. Or that they wouldn’t make more sales by raising those prices.
  4. Artists whose work and online presence have an authentic originality tend to accumulate dedicated followers.
  5. When you visit an artist’s online shop, you may be seeing some experimental strategies they’re testing – not necessarily tried & true things that have worked for them.
  6. Artists who work consistently on building their online following and directing it to their shop tend to sell their work a lot more regularly.

Now I visit artists’ online shops
for a different reason.

Instead of doing research, I now visit artists’ shops simply because I love visiting them!

I love seeing the artistry, the photography, the “personality” of a shop, how the artist writes product descriptions, and everything.

I enjoy wandering around – admiring, appreciating, and sometimes making a purchase! 🙂

What do you learn or enjoy
when you visit other artists’ online shops?

Older Comments:

Sheri Vickery says:

As a newbie in the jewelry business & online merchandising, anything you write is SO helpful!
One drawback for me on any given website, whether jewelry related or not, are misspellings & poor use of punctuation. Even when searching my local craigslist.com for other reasons, I will steer clear of any posting that can’t make use of spell check 🙂
Keep up the good work, Rena!

irina dalah says:

I’m at the learning how others do it stage, but still…
it always amuses me how many times I find out I’m not the only one to do some clever trick, even though I think I’m alone ;-D

what’s especially nice about your posts is that there’s always something new, even if it is only one little thing and not the whole post.

thanks for sharing, and taking the pains to find new, useful, interesting aspects of the business!
have a great holidays season!

Sheila Davis says:

I like to read about the artists vision for the designs and I agree about photographs, I don’t like looking at a poor quality picture that needs to be cropped and edited. I like a well written intro, not one that talks about their latest surgery etc.

Rose says:

I love browsing and taking notes from successful shopowners. Good point about the testing element – and yes, I do testing, too! Loved reading your observations, Rena.

Tracy Rhynas says:

I think that the more one browses and looks at other websites, the more one picks up tips and tricks almost subconsciously, which as a newcomer to the online world is very helpful. The accummulation of knowledge can only help our individaul endeavours. On a personal level I enjoy reading people’s bio’s and I tend to be very put off when they do not have a picture or photo – I like to know who I am interacting with – if there is no picture I almost feel as though they are not interested or have something to hide! And I love looking at the photographs – seeing what works and what doesn’t. Some sites have really beautiful photographs which I aspire to…..practice makes perfect!!

LaRiesha Floyd says:

I love looking around to other websites to see how they operate, how it’s set up, do they have a blog, how do they blog, etc. In fact that is how I found this site 🙂

Consuelo Alburg says:

I like visiting other online shops not only for new ideas but because I love to window shop. There are so many different approaches to building a online shop. They are as varied as we are as people. Some have small pictures not of the best quality, but that just means to me that this probably someone who makes great jewelry but a novice at photography. We all started less skillful in some aspects of running a online shop, didn’t we?
Some website look like they have very small photos, but most of them zoom in larger when we click on a photo, I have found.
Rena,you always have such interesting blogs. I love reading them and all the comments.

• Altagracia Vasquez says:

Like you, I am still researching to start my businesses. So many information to start a business! I look on Etsy since I thought I was going to start from them. I learned from here, from the amazing author, subscribers, and jewelry makers, that I could start on my own through other resources. Thank you! I research Etsy because 1. wanted to know if anyone came up with the same name or names that I have thought up for my own jewelry business. Guess what? There were. You don’t know how many times I had to change or come up with new names. I do believe I am going to register my business name. I don’t know if some of them are still active or not but I was not going to use the same name. Their works are great and they came up with the name first… it’s not “Losers Weepers, Finders Keepers.”… unless they give up the name. 2. I wanted to know “my competitors” others jewelry makers who are making similar or very similar jewelry like my jewelry. I gotta say, some are VERY nice. That’s their skill. God bless. I have my skill, too. I learn from them especially if they were there and making jewelry longer than I have. I also noticed about jewelry makers I look into was that most of them come from Russia, Ukraine, Turkey, and Israel and when I do a search they were on top. I also learned that even though they or any foreign country priced their jewelry at a lower price in USD like $12, does not mean they get $12. The money has to be converted once it’s in their country and they receive a higher income. They might be more expensive in their own country unless they change their price in their country but I don’t think Etsy allows that – well, with the exception of the EU, of course. I might price my jewelry that similar to theirs at $30. Expensive here in the states compare to theirs but I doubt its expensive in their country. 3. Through many jewelry makers profiles, payment methods, return, and exchange, payment, shipping, I am learning what to do and how to do it.
    By the way, I have a grammarly.com app on my laptop and browser and it follows me in every site that I type words on. Great feature!

• Coral says:

I think you do absorb a lot when you look at others webshops, you can certainly see what you like and don’t like, and probably get ideas of what might work for your own. I’d like to say to Tracey who commented in the past, I absolutely hate photographs of myself, so avoid having one on my blog etc.! I’m not hiding anything – honest – I just do not want anyone to take photos of me! My jewellery is what matters, not how I look, well, it is in my view!