Butterfly Wing Necklace with Sea Glass

by Cherie Elksong.
(Arizona, U.S.A.)

Butterfly Wing Necklace with Sea Glass by Cherie Elksong  - featured on Jewelry Making Journal

I’ve amassed a collection of sea glass over the years, all sent to me from a cousin who lives in Penobscot, ME.

I’ve used it on and off, as inspiration struck, but lately, have been much more enthusiastic about it, after coming up with this butterfly wing design!

Butterfly Wing Necklace with Sea Glass by Cherie Elksong - featured on Jewelry Making Journal

Whilst rummaging through a pile of glass, I found a piece of (common) pale green color that had an asymmetrically triangular shape.

It made me think of a butterfly’s wing and I decided to try an adopt one of my wire wrapping styles to further that effect.

I loved how it turned out so much, I’ve made several now, including this piece, with an unusual, glazed (?) pattern on clear glaze. I thought the pattern made it look especially butterfly like!

Cherie Elksong
Elksong Jewelry
Elksong Jewelry on Facebook

• A truly unique piece, Cherie! It does look like a butterfly wing, and I like that the bead colors echo the pendant colors. What a wonderful treasure to turn into jewelry.

• Dawn Carpino says:

Very Beautiful

• Cherie says:

Thanks Rena & thanks for including my necklace!

• Cherie Elkson says:

Thank you Dawn! πŸ™‚

• Nata S says:

WOW, what a beautiful jewelry you make! So unique. I absolutely love it! And your website is wonderful, too. Thank you for sharing with us πŸ™‚

• mary says:

Cherie, I first need to say this. My first impression of your piece on here was a mouth twister, HUH! My eyes went right to the impression on the Road Lantern…, then to your hanging necklace piece that made no impression on me, so I breezed right by. When I got down further on this page, my intuition said to go back to you. I did and clicked on your photo. Wa La What a beautiful necklace and the way it was displayed was all about the beauty of that necklace. No distractions. You are a true artist and I am so glad I went back..I realize now that my first impression was that road lantern and that stuck in my head so that I really did not zero in on your piece, as the impression on the lantern stuck in my head so I moved on.
    You are creative and you are talented…..You have a gift.
    Love, and create a peaceful day

• Louise says:

Such a stunning piece, I have loads of seaglass although small pieces, but this is such an inspiring design!!

• Cherie Elksong says:

Thanks Nata, much appreciated! Glad you enjoyed the website, it’s a new construction & I’m absolutely interested in feedback on it! πŸ™‚

• Cherie Elksong says:

Mary, thank you very much for the insight, I really appreciate it! Unfortunately, I didn’t choose that photo as a lead picture; when I do listings on my sight, the necklaces modeled on the road lantern come further along, after images just showing the jewelry details.
    I’m so glad you looked further and thank you for such nice comments!

• Cherie Elksong says:

Thanks Louise, I really enjoy working with the sea glass! πŸ™‚

• Kay says:

What sn unusual piece of sea glass. It’s beautiful and the way you put it together in this necklace is stunning!

• Katie Murhy says:

Your photography, models and presentation is also impressive! Well done you!

• Lyone says:

Love your wire work!!!

• Rita says:

Outstanding piece Cherie! The colors are so Southwest. Thank you for sharing!

• Thanks so much to Kay, Katie, Rita, Lyone & everyone else for the very kind comments, I appreciate them so much! And thanks so much to Rena & Jewelry Making Journal for letting me share! πŸ™‚

• Jean says:

Hi Cherie,
    I don’t see butterfly wings but what I do relate to is the road lantern. To me, your unusual and creative piece of jewelry goes with the era of the lantern. Your wire work is immaculate. I love the combination of the sea glass, beads, and wire work. It is stunning. What do they say about “the eye of the beholder”??……. LOL! Regardless, the necklace is stunning.
    I live in Carriacou, Grenada and love all the sea glass I find on the beaches.

• A very beautiful necklace. I like the way you’ve tied the sea glass with the wire and the combination of the beads.