Sea Glass and Lampwork and Jewelry Addiction

by Janice Ward.
(San Ramon, CA)

Sea Glass and Lampwork and Jewelry Addiction by Janice Ward  - featured on Jewelry Making Journal

A great combo!

My 30+ years spent collecting sea glass and the desire to make it wearable started me on this jewelry making path, but I suffer from jewelry making addiction.

I love learning new techniques and have a hard time sticking with just one.

The simple sterling silver setting for this heart-shaped piece from a Japanese harbor was inspired by earrings by Milomade.

After securing it in the setting, it sat unfinished for weeks awaiting inspiration which struck when a friend offered to show me how to make lampwork beads.

This bead is from my first batch and I think it is the perfect complement to the sea glass.

Unfortunately, I love the lampworking process and now have yet another tangent to explore! So many techniques, so little time…

Janice Ward
Janice’s Jems

• Beautiful pendant, Janice! The beads are perfect accents, and I especially like how your prong setting cradles the sea glass without covering it up. And I so agree about so many exciting techniques – but not enough time!

• Jean says:

I know the feeling. I love learning new techniques. But then I start jumping from one project to another. The good news is I do finish each piece I start. Just wish there was more time so I can make a couple of items so I don’t forget a new technique I just learned.

I love the way you anchored that piece of sea glass and the bead compliments the pendant perfectly. I also love working with sea glass. I live in the Caribbean so I have tons of sea glass pieces and nuggets.

I will just keep learning and enjoying all the various ways to make beautiful jewelry.

J

• LynetteH says:

This is a beautiful piece of artwork! I love the colors in your lampwork to complement the sea glass pendant. The prongs embracing the sea glass look sturdy. Yes, yes, too much exploring to be had out there in every artistic endeavor, and not enough time to do it all.

• Gloria says:

Very nice❣️ Is the back of the pendant a piece of metal you cut to fit?

• I just love the ‘paddles’ holding your stone in place.

• Rita says:

Embrace the chaos is my motto! I jump around a lot in techniques and follow wherever the muse takes me. I like working this way and having so much to explore in jewelry. This is why I love it so much. Inspiration comes from all over the place, and I snatch it as it comes. A friend has been feeding me jewelry catalogs all summer, and I have been experimenting with color combinations I’ve never tried before just from observing how others use color. I was so grateful to her I made some jewelry for her as a thank you. Oh, this is what makes life exciting in the world of jewelry. Thank you for sharing!

• Nancy Vaughan says:

So many techniques to explore and not enough hours in the day! I think this is a common problem with jewelry artists. As a result of this “malady” you have made a truly beautiful creation! Love the bead and love the glass.

• Janice says:

Thanks, Gloria! The back of the pendant is two balled, sterling silver wires soldered together to form an “x” with another piece soldered on to create the bail. I kept it minimal to allow for maximum light to penetrate the seaglass.

• Janice says:

Love that motto and your attitude toward creating!