5 Tips to Better Jewelry Photography

by Janine.
(841 Washington Street, Holliston, MA)

5 Tips to Better Jewelry Photography by Janine  - featured on Jewelry Making Journal

Where I sell my Jewelry Today

Not everyone is a photographer, but since we are selling, promoting or just showing off our jewelry we need to post professional looking pictures.

Here are my top 5 tips I learned from other jewelry designers, photography pros and of course Pinterest!

1. White backgrounds are the best and clearest way to sell something. No distractions and clean looking. I take photos on a white sheet of paper in natural light. More on that in the next tip.

Rainbow Crystal Earrings Using Photofuze

2. I bought an inexpensive folding light box and I add my white piece of paper to the bottom. I got it from Amazon ( just search portable light box or inexpensive light box). My light box plugs into my computer usb with bright LED lights.

3. I use my iPhone. My Nikon sadly has been collecting dust but I will need it to take pictures for any print materials like posters or banners. I take most of my online pix with my phone. My phone takes good pictures for all types of media but my Nikon can take a really high resolution photo if I need to blow one up for a poster. So far I don’t need it.

Woven Bracelets- Natural Light

4. Natural light is your friend. I like to take a few pictures with a clean background and maybe one or two either in or on my hand so you can tell size, on a person, on natural wood or stone. Whatever is more towards your jewelry style. I don’t take pics in direct sunlight but in a slight shadow or a slightly overcast day. Avoid taking pictures at 12:00 pm. Noon created the harshest shadows in most areas. Also depends where you are but I heard noon isn’t the best.

Sterling Silver With tiny Moonstone

5. Editing! So important. I am obsessed with fotofuze.com to clean up my background. It is so easy to use- you just trace with the highlighter over the area you want to keep and it whightens the background. I love using it. I also use the app Enlight, to brighten the colors and add text if needed.
I hope this helps you take photos of your awesome jewelry!!!!!

Janine
Janine’s Jewelry Design
JanineJewelry on Facebook

• Great tips, Janine! And I love your charming jewelry cottage – a beautiful place to create and invite your customers in! Are you still teaching jewelry classes there too?

• Jessie Koh says:

Hi Janine! Thanks for the recommending fotofuze, it’s a life saver! I’ve been using snapseed which takes time to edit the photos, but fotofuze is perfect! And you have a lovely shopfront btw…

• Rita says:

How inviting is your design shop. I have an additional tip, YouTube has some excellent diy light box tutorials you can make yourself. Thanks for all your tips. I use photoshop for editing, but it’s not for everyone. I’ll check out fotofuze. Thanks!

• Claudia Kellenberger says:

Janine, thanks for the photography tips! Your store front looks charming! If you don’t mind me asking …. do you live in the same house that you sell ? The reason I am asking is that I have a similar house except that it also has an enclosed front porch. My house is a very small, 2 bedroom, bungalow. I do craft shows, Jewelry Shows for other people, and twice a year an “open house” for my friends, at MY house. I have no sign out front, but maybe someday I will. Thanks!

• Barbara says:

Really appreciate the tips. Thank you.
    Adorable little cottage. Is it your home & studio, or a studio/shop? It’s really cute.

• Moogie says:

I have just finished reading & watching videos on using my IPhone to take better photographs of my jewelry. Now I’m more familiar with all the features on the IPhone. I also got a 24” folding white box but without a light. I took it outside under my covered patio to photograph. That along with better editing helped me create much better, more professional photos. Thanks for the tips. I just created an account on fotofuze!

• Janine says:

Thanks for the kind words! I rent out the little cottage. It is attached to an older office building. I only live 2 miles away so my commute is perfect!

• Judy says:

Thanks so much! I’ve recently given up my jewelry display at a local yoga studio (can’t keep up without quitting my day job) and I’ll need to start a website or sell on Etsy. The photography piece is so intimidating to me, so I can’t thank you enough for sharing your experience!

• Bunny Berard says:

Great advice. Thank you! I’ve been taking photos “in the wild”. My first attempts have had mixed results. I’ll definitely check out FotoFuze for my next batch.