by Sophie Van Tiggelen.
The high-selling season of Christmas is over now, and I’m looking ahead already! What business strategies can I use to improve my bottom line for the new year?
Here is a list of ideas that might help you too:
Business Strategies and Ideas
for the Coming Year
- Buy new materials to create new and astonishing designs.Whatever is your domain of expertise, you will need to replenish your inventory. You don’t want to keep using the same old beads. Your customers from last year will want to see new colors, textures, designs in the coming year.Be imaginative and extravagant! You want to surprise them. You want them to think, “How did she/he come up with such a good idea?!” Besides, now is a good time for your shopping.
- Make a list of all the customers you’ve had in the past year.You already know they like what you are doing, so take advantage of it! Within the next three months, you should contact every single one of them with a special promotion for repeat customers. This is one of the most important business strategies, and it’s used by the most successful companies.
- Set up a Valentine Special promotion.Valentine’s Day is a special time to celebrate, and is fortunately far enough from the end of the year holidays that your customers will be ready to buy again!Prepare a beautiful letter for them, reminding them of the spirit of Valentine’s Day, and giving them a discount.Suggest that they can buy for themselves (of course) and for a mother, sister, aunt, grandmother, special friend, neighbors, teachers, etc.
- Start working now on Valentine projects.Create unique Valentine designs, using colors like red, garnet, pink, amethyst, purple – mix textures and colors! This will give you a personal boost (I ALWAYS love to start working on a new project because I am generally full of ideas) and revive your enthusiasm.But don’t go too high with your prices: after all, Valentine’s Day is seasonal and people will be looking for affordable prices, especially for gifts.
- Create a Valentine gift section in your website.Your customers will like the novelty and it will bring you new sales opportunities. You might want to do the same for Mother’s Day and other holidays, too! Jewelry is always a popular gift item, so making it easy for customers to give your jewelry is a great business strategy.How about adding a wish list feature, too?
- Look for upcoming local events.You certainly know of upcoming local shows, craft fairs, or any other gathering where people will come to have some fun and buy.I already downloaded from the internet several applications for shows in my area. I know where they will take place, when, and how much I will have to invest to attend. This will help me plan ahead and organize my time.
- Throw a spring jewelry open house.Every year, on or around the first day of spring, I am having a big open house event! I invite all my friends, family, and existing customers to come and celebrate the first day of spring with me. Everyone is always in a very good mood and sales are good.If you don’t mind, you can even have other folks selling their line of products! I usually have a Mary Kay consultant, a Party-Lite consultant, and aspecial friend of mine who makes quilt kits. We can all benefit from each other’s customers.
- Advertise yourself as much as you can, even using simple, inexpensive ways.For example, I created my own personalized email signature. It was easy to set up and each time I send an email I am promoting my website. So simple a business strategy, you would say! Well, not really. I received a message today from a lady selling her own line of jewelry, and nowhere in her email did I see any reference to her website (and I know she has one).Also, never leave your house without wearing a piece of your own jewelry! I often receive compliments and it is a very good way to introduce your business!It also creates a style in your community and your friends might want to do the same!
Author Sophie Van Tiggelen of Bagatelle Jewelry creates original handmade beaded jewelry in lampwork glass, freshwater pearls, Swarovski crystals, semi-precious gemstones,and sterling silver. Her designs are natural, beautiful, and sophisticated.