Want to Do Right Angle Weave, But Have Trouble Threading the Needle

Want to Do Right Angle Weave, But Have Trouble Threading the Needle - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal
Want to Do Right Angle Weave, But Have Trouble Threading the Needle  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

by Sharon Belson.
(United States)

I would like to do right angle weave.

I’m really drawn to it but I’m 70 years old and have a problem threading the needle.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to improve this?

I thought about getting bigger needles but I don’t know if that’ll work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve done jewelry but it’s been awhile so right now I don’t have a name for my jewelry.

Also I have a problem doing crimp beads because you have to press down on them and I don’t have enough strength in my hand.

That’s why I want to try right angle weave cuz I know you can put the beads back through and make your own clasp.

Sharon Nelson

• Dawn says:

Hi Sharon, I also have trouble treading needles and doing intricate beadwork. I bought a pair of magnifying eyeglasses. It comes with five different lens strengths so when I am threading a small eye needle or doing intricate work I wear them. I also use beeswax to run the thread through. Dawn

• Daisy says:

Hello Sharon
    I too have trouble threading needles so bought some big eye ones which open the whole length of the needle. I bought them from Ebay.

Hope this helps and good luck

Daisy

• Benita says:

I learned a technique that works for me. It’s called “needling the thread.” You hold the cut end of your thread between thumb and forefinger of your non-dominant hand so that the end is barely sticking out. Then with your dominant hand holding the needle, guide the eye over the thread. It is much easier this way.

• Benita, thank you for this helpful technique!

• SHARON says:

Thanks for the comment about the magnifying glasses I’m going to have to check them out sounds like a good idea

• SHARON says:

Tks for your reply will try that

• Naomi says:

Benita, you are absolutely right about “needling the thread”. Once I found out this method, I can’t thread a needle any other way. Sometimes it also helps to use flat nose pliers to flatten the end of the beading thread to help with “needling the thread”. Also, I use an Ottlite Magnifier lamp and it really helps in my bead weaving.

• Delores Cadwell says:

I too have trouble threading needles, I am 85 so my eye sight is not the best. When working with my jewelry I use a pair of head magnifiers (they are available on line) that fit around the head on an adjustable band. I also use the needle threaders that I have in my sewing box, so they go through the needle eye then the thread through them, then pull the tread through the needle with the threader and when all else fails I use the needle threader which just means yiou lay the thread across the threader and push the lever t push the thread through (also available on line or at JoAnns).

• Delores, thank you for sharing your helpful tips!

• SusanD says:

I use what’s called a clover needle threader (although not from that brand as it’s too expensive). You just drop the needle down a hole, lay the thread across a little area, push down on the lever and it pushes the thread through the needle. I got mine from Aliexpress for about $1 each. They don’t look quite like the Clover brand, but they function the same way. I have used this since I heard about it. It lets me use smaller eye needles, which sometimes are necessary to be able to pass through a bead several times. Just know, you are not alone in the frustration of trying to put a piece of thread through the eye of a needle!

• Eva says:

I use this method as well and it works every time especially for size 12 and 13 needles which you need for intricate beadwork with small seed beads, the big eye needles are too thick for this sort of work

• SusanD, thank you for sharing this!

• Rosina says:

Needles holes are pressed so one side will be easier to thread than the other. If the thread refuses to go through the eye, I rotate to the other side and usually have success. I also recommend the “needling the thread” method.

• Diana Glasgow says:

Lots of good tips here. One more from me… I have found Tulip brand beading needles to be easier to thread and work with. Try them! I believe I bought mine on Etsy.com. I have the same issues as you, aging eye-sight. Also, I bought a light on a headband on Amazon.com and found it to be very helpful… focuses brighter light right on my work and I can wear it anywhere as it operates on batteries.

• Natalie says:

Sharon, if you’re using a thread like Fireline or Wildfire, the thing that always works for me is to squash 1/2″ of the thread end with flat-nose pliers. Does’t take much strength (I’ll be 70 in December!), and the flat thread slips right through the needle eye.

• Jaqui Miles says:

Try “Big Eye” needles. They split the length of the needle thus making a large area for threading. I’m 77 years old and started using them a few years ago. They are heavier but in most cases will work just fine. Good luck!

• Karen Cooper says:

Benita I learned this great technique in a class I took and was glad to see it shared here. Thank You ..

• Kay says:

I also “needle the thread”. Much easier that way.

• Claire says:

Hi Sharon. I used to have issues with threading a needle, and have discovered a few techniques, someone had mentioned that the eye of the needles are “punched”, so one side will be easier to thread than the other. I ‘stack’ reading glasses, one in front of the other, to increase magnification. I cut the end of the thread at a 45 degree angle so that it will come to a point, and then flatten the end with pliers.

• barb says:

I have a friend who has me thread a bunch of needles for her whenever we are together. We just leave them all in a bunch, still on the spool. The thread slides thru all of them at once and she takes the 1st one in line and cuts the thread to size leaving the rest of them still on the spool. Hope you can understand what I’m describing.

• Barb and friend, that’s such a great idea! 🙂 Thank you for sharing that.