Types of Monochrome Laser Printers that Work on PNP Paper for Chemical Etching?

by Vicky Taylor.
(Des Moines IA)

Types of Monochrome Laser Printers that Work on PNP Paper for Chemical Etching?  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

I am finding it increasingly difficult to find a laser printer that will handle pnp paper.

I contacted the manufacturer of the blue pnp paper and their advice was to shop for an old laser printer.

It would be helpful for beginning etchers to have a list or source for current (2018) printer/copiers that will handle the pnp papers.

Just wondering how long pnp paper will be useful if we have to hunt down used equipment. Do you have any recommendations?

Vicky Taylor
OOAK Designs

• Gayle W says:

Hi Vicky,
    I’ve been making jewelry for many years (and now teach classes), and I’m always looking for new info about our craft/art. Would you be kind enough to tell me what pnp paper is & how you use it? Thanks so very much!
    Gayle

• Donna says:

PnP paper is press and peel paper used as a resist when etching on metal. The beauty of PnP is you can copy any high-contrast photo onto the PnP then rub the PnP onto your metal. When you then bathe your metal in your etching solution, the PnP will resist the acid of your etching solution, thus providing a sharp image on the metal piece.
    The challenge is finding the old style high resolution laser printer that uses powder toner rather than ink.

• Nancy says:

I believe an HP LaserJet 1100 will do what you want. I use this printer to transfer designs to metal for engraving. Pages generally must be hand-fed one at a time. The printers are still available on Ebay …I’ve recently bought five of them [one to use + four backups] …..at a cost between $25 – $50 last time I looked. The cartridges are still available as well. The printers last a fairly long time, but seem like once there is a problem that’s the end of it. Good luck!

• Judith says:

Thank you for this question and thank you, Nancy, for the answer. I am taking a break right now for an interstate move, but shortly beforehand I took an etching tutorial. It was enough for me to realize that access to a copier that took PNP paper was key because copy shops do not want you putting that stuff in their machines!

• Deb says:

There are also good FB groups that focus on etching. Many people have good luck with older Brother printers, too. Sometimes the problem with the printers is that they don’t all operate quite the same and toners change and age over time. Etching is a bugger to get a handle on!

• Lexi says:

I have an HP M277dw. I specifically bought it for use on blue PNP paper and transparency paper. It works beautifully for my etching projects. The cartridges are expensive but last a very, very long time. We also use it for daily office use and love it.

• Nan says:

Honestly 4 years ago we went and purchased an HP color copier with toner cartridges. Now I see them used everywhere for around 75.$ it works great with several etching methods including PnP paper. Good luck. My HP, ferric chloride, silver nitrate & copper sulfate + salt are a must for me. I love creating unique patterned metal