Torch Fear to Torch Adoration – Fabricating Rings

by Diana White.
(United States)

Torch Fear to Torch Adoration - Fabricating Rings by Diana White  - featured on Jewelry Making Journal

London Blue Topaz in Scalloped Bezel Setting

It has been quite some time since I posted here to JMJ, not because I haven’t been making, but because I’ve been so busy between working my full-time career and handling custom orders through my shop, that I’ve had less time than I’d like to make new designs.

A couple of years ago I took a basic soldering class at RioGrande, and this past year I took a ring fabrication class through an adult continuing education class at a community college in Wisconsin.

Sterling Teardrop Shaped Pinky or Toe Ring

Through both of those experiences, having superb instructors, I was able to get past my phobia of using torches more powerful than the simple hand held butane torches.

And, I’m thrilled with some of the results. I am also quite enjoying using rotary tools, Grobet and my portable Foredom to speed up some of the finishing tasks.

Reclaimed Gold from an old 14kt Single Earring Nugget Ring on Sterling Hand Fabricated Shank

If you, also, are having a bit of torch fear, then I highly recommend finding a workshop or two.

Structured classes, can give you a bit of scaffolding to experiment with fire and other jewelry making techniques without a big investment in tools and equipment before you feel ready to use them.

Recycled Gold on Sterling Modern Design Ring, Brush finished Shank and High Polished Focal

Diana White
Mockingbird Lane Wire

• Anne says:

Those are beautiful, Diana! What kind of torch do you use for that technique?

• Rena Klingenberg says:

Gorgeous ring and photography, Diana! Thank you for sharing your journey of torch work.

• Paula Trehey says:

I have the same fear. And I haven’t gotten over mine.

• Linda says:

What college in Wisconsin? I am looking for classes. I love your rings!

• Lynda says:

So nice to see you posting here again! These rings are unique and inspire me to take the next step with my torch. Thanks!

• Alysen says:

Absolutely right about the torches. I took a class and she taught us to use an acetylene/oxygen torch. So different from butane or propane. But at my sister’s house where I’m staying right now (momcare) I wouldn’t think of using anything but my butane. I did buy a Blazer Big Shot and the flame is super Big. I use it for copper or larger pieces and it works wonderfully. Oh, btw, I love your scalloped bezel!

• Diana White says:

At school Oxygen/Acetylene. At home I’m using either propane or MAPP gas tanks with a plumber’s hose/nozzle attachment along with my small butane torches too.

Eventually, I’ll spring for the dual tank oxy acetylene with Smith little torch setup.

• Diana White says:

Thank you for the kind words about my rings and the photos. I would be lost without my light box.

• Diana White says:

Madison Area Technical College. Also known as Madison College.

• Diana White says:

Yay! Very glad to hear it.

• Diana White says:

Thank you. I’m definitely liking the scallop bezel wire too. Better than the more spiky versions, though I’ve used those too.