Flight of Shadows – Jewelry with History

by Deborah Rodriguez.
(Mesquite, Texas)

Flight of Shadows - Jewelry with History by Deborah Rodriguez  - featured on Jewelry Making Journal

Pendants of Antique Buttons and other Antique items.

Discovering and collecting small, personal items from the past is one of my passions.

I imagine the lives of the people that owned them.

Memory Assemblage (my Grandmother in background)

Marrying small, historical pieces into wearable, assemblage jewelry makes me feel that our ancestors are not forgotten, but rather, brought forward in our consciousness.

My favorite elements are watch fobs, memory pins, antique buttons, vintage jewelry findings and stampings.

Deborah Rodriguez
DebsDaydreams

• I love these beautiful, nostalgic assemblages, Deborah! And I especially like the last photo, with your Grandmother as part of the backdrop.

• I love jewelry with a vintage look. You have done a great job assembling the historic pieces into wearable art!

• Linda Lohraff says:

Deborah
    Your jewelry is beautiful. I love how unique it is. How do you find the components and materials for making it?
    I have some vintage broaches that were my grandmother’s. I would love to make something unique out of them.

• Paula says:

I also love vintage pieces. I started a website and found myself drawn to vintage jewelry. Even if they’re broken you can make something beautiful.

• Wilma says:

Beautiful! Well done! I will never look at vintage jewelry the same way again. Thank you. Best wishes for your continued creation of these fabulous and intriguing works of art.

• Chris Rehkop says:

I really like your vintage designs Deborah, beautiful pieces!

• Deborah Rodriguez says:

Thank you, Rena, for offering all your Newsletter fans an opportunity to see their work showcased. I really appreciate it !

• Deborah Rodriguez says:

Thank you so much Sonja !

• Deborah Rodriguez says:

Thank you, Linda ! I look for elements everywhere. Flea Markets, Garage Sales, Thrift Stores, Antique Malls and Shops…some things I find on Etsy or Ebay, but they must be at bargin prices or I don’t buy them. Some of my prettiest buttons I found in a booth in an antique mall. Everything in the booth was 50% off. Down low on a shelf, I saw a little bit of a paper bag sticking out. I saw it had buttons in it and the discounted price was only $7.50. When I got home I discovered some amazing antique buttons !

• Deborah Rodriguez says:

I admire that you started a website. I keep telling myself I need to do that.

• Deborah, thank you for your lovely comment! 🙂

• Linda Lohraff says:

Deborah
    That is an amazing hobby just looking for the pretties! How much fun is that? I have some vintage glass that I love. I just haven’t found people who appreciate like I do. I have green, blue and red.
    You have a wonderful idea.

• Moogie says:

This goes right along with my love of filigree. Your pieces are beautiful, Deborah! I found a shop on Etsy that sells some pretty pieces—stampings, filigree, chain etc. I also look for sales on the big “V” in filigree & other components at different online stores. I’m mostly an internet shopper but here in Houston they have many antique shops.
    Many of the stampings & filigree are made in the US using very old machinery. It’s nice to know we still produce high quality items from metals that are still produced here in the US. If interested, check out guyotbrothers.com for their story:)

• Deborah Rodriguez says:

Thank you so much, Chris !!

• Deborah Rodriguez says:

Thank you very much for your kind comments, Moogie !
    I will definately check out the Etsy shop you mentioned. I love discovering new vendors with new and different choices for me !!

• Mavis Tompkins says:

How do you fix buttons etc to a bail, do you solder them on?