How is the Best Way to Catalog Jewelry?

by Kim.
(U.S.)

How is the Best Way to Catalog Jewelry?  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

I have been using a system of 3×5 cards that include unique item numbers and name of the piece.

The cards also have a list of components and their costs, pricing info that includes wholesale and retail formulas and notes that may contain provenance of a particular element.

Each item I make is unique, so I like to have a record of each piece.

The problem is that when I start creating numerous pieces, there is a problem with duplicating item numbers.

While I can be more diligent about this, does anyone have a method of cataloging that they would like to share?

Thanks!

Kim

• Nicole says:

Hi Kim

I also do this, but instead of cards I use excel,fantastic for searching and sorting.

My numbering starts with the year, then 1,2,3,4 etc for example my latest piece is 17157, so I can see at a glancE the year it was made and it was the 157th piece I had made in that particular year.

Enjoy your day, Nicole

• Dianne says:

Check out JDM software…it not only catalogs all your pieces, but parts as well. That way, you always know what you have on hand, where you got them and how much the cost was at the time of purchase. It also helps you price correctly, something we all struggle with. I don’t know what I would do without mine! I have been using it for many years and it is worth every penny many times over. For years I was into beadweaving and come tax time, this program is a Godsend, It tells me exactly how many hundreds of thousands of beads I have.

• K Huber says:

You could use a spreadsheet, too.

• I keep a photo of each piece I create and number them consecutively with the year as the last two digits. On the back of the photo I write all of the necessary info I want to keep. The photos are keep in a photo saver that holds 1000 photos in numerical order. I put each year in a separate column. This has worked for me for over 15 years now.

• Donna Jadis says:

I can’t praise JDM highly enough! I’ve been using it for many years now and have tried a couple of alternative programs and always come back to JDM (Currently using Premier Plus.) You create pieces by adding parts from a separate list. It will help calculate a selling price. You can have two photos of each piece stored in the piece record.

For my numbering, I’ve settled on piece-type / year / sequence #, ie:
    n17-001 — Necklace, 2017, the first one made.
    I code for earrings (e), bracelets (b), chain (ch – I make ring chain), ankle bracelets (ab), glasses holders (gh)…

The support from JDM is great, too. I can usually get problems answered or fixed quickly.

Donna

• Barbara says:

What is JDM?
    I love CarolAnne’s system!

• JDM is Jewelry Designer Manager – a computer program made by Bejeweled Software.

• Barbara says:

Thanks Rena. And Merry Christmas everybody.

• Carol says:

Bead Manager Pro (BMP) is another program for cataloging jewelry. It has versions for both MAC & PC.

• Margaret says:

i do NOT recommend Bead Manager Pro. It was nothing but trouble with it and the company doesn’t support the product very well. Bottom line, i was stuck with a useless program and no refund. i purchased jewelry designer manager and it works like dream. wish i’d bought it first.

• All,
    I have the JDM disc and found it too confusing so after a few tries, I put it aside because I don’t have that time to devote to figuring it out. With that said, I think keeping it as simple as possible is the way to go. It’s all about what works for you without breaking a sweat! I am a one-man band, so I try to keep it simple, efficient (as possible), and quick!