Taking Cha Cha Up a Notch

by Michele R Trappe.
(Belleville, Michigan)

Taking Cha Cha Up a Notch by Michele R Trappe  - featured on Jewelry Making Journal

Cha cha to the max

After finding suggestions on using the odd beads I had left after projects, I began making Cha Cha bracelets for friends and family. They were a hit.

I then began thinking “Why not a Cha Cha-style necklace?” And voila!

I used silver-plated chain, size 6/0 Peacock iridescent seed beads strung on 6mm jump rings. 4 jump rings per chain link. Pendant is from an old pair of earrings.

Michele R Trappe
Peppered Blessings

• Michele, I love the rich, 3-dimensional texture created by this design. And what a great idea to extend the cha cha bracelet style to a necklace that I’m sure will attract a lot of compliments. Fabulous. Cha cha cha! 🙂

• Angela says:

A beautiful piece. I like to repurpose earrings like this too.

• Colleen says:

I love this necklace. I too used these beads to make bracelets, and enjoyed them.

Great job!!

• Love this. Very beautiful!

• Deb says:

I LOVE these! Where do you sell them?

• Michele R Trappe says:

Deb,
    Thank you! Right now, I sell mainly by word of mouth. I’m working on a Facebook site which is not quite ready yet.

• Deb says:

Could you explain the way you do the links more? Slow brain here! 😁

• Michele R Trappe says:

Deb-
    I thread one seed bead onto a 6mm jump ring. I make sure the shape is right so the bead hangs freely. Then I thread the ring, with the bead, onto a link in my chain and close the jump ring. I put 2 jump rings, (1 bead on each) on either side of each chain link. I used an oval link chain for this necklace.

• Mary B says:

Hi, I’m new to jewelry making. This is a very appealing technique. When you create jewelry using so many jump rings, do you buy them in bulk, or do you make them yourself several at a time on a mandrel? I only see the small packets of jump rings at craft stores.

• Mary B., Welcome to the lovely world of making jewelry! Generally you’ll get the best prices on jewelry supplies when you shop online. I often purchase my jewelry supplies from various Etsy vendors. But there are also many major jewelry suppliers’ websites to wander through.

• Michele says:

I want to thank everyone for your positive comments. It really is a great confidence booster.
    To Mary B, I buy them in bulk from various online wholesalers. As Rena said, there are many. You just have to shop around for the best deals.

• Mary B says:

Rena, I appreciate your welcome, and I appreciate this journal! It’s a very rich source of inspiration and encouragement. So glad I discovered you.