Please Help Identify This Mystery Stone

by Mary Warren.
(North Carolina)

Please Help Identify This Mystery Stone  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

I purchased this stone on a bolo tie and want to make a pendant from it. But I do not know what kind of stone it is.

The seller said ‘malachite’ but I don’t think so.

Please Help Identify This Mystery Stone  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

It is highly polished and smooth, not like turquoise.

If anyone can help with identification I would be most grateful.

Mary Warren

• Hi Mary, this is a gorgeous mystery stone!
    I’m guessing it’s chrysocolla – but I may be wrong. I’m looking forward to hear what others think! 🙂

• Looks like malachite to me — especially if it’s set in sterling silver. That will be the giveaway. Cheaper stones aren’t normally set in sterling. The colour of the stone looks right, but the photo is kind of blurry.

• Peggy Pagliari. says:

I’ve got something similar from Israel. It’s called Eilat stone. Perhaps it’s that.
    Peggy.

• Mary,

I’m with Rena on this one. I usually won’t site identify, but it does look like Chrysocolla. In this case, the setting being silver isn’t an indicator since its a Western style which tends to us silver. There is also a possibility that the stone is a synthetic but to tell you would need to test it. If you’re worried about resale, just be upfront with the buyer and state that you are unsure of the stone. You’re OK as long as you don’t claim it is one stone and it isn’t.

Duane

• Jean says:

Yes, Rena. This looks like chrysocolla, or a mix of chrysocolla and malachite. They are all copper bearing minerals and are easily found together.

• Rumy says:

It’s an Eilat stone, it has the typical knots-like pattern and colors. It is sacred in Israel. I recognized it as soon as I saw it.
    The coloring and ‘veins’ of Malachite are quite different. It could easily be synthetic, however this will be highly unlikely in this type of setting.
    Complements on a great find. Good luck incorporating it in a glorious design. Hope you show us pics of the finished project.

• Louise says:

I’m going with Eilat too!😉

• Mickey Moore says:

This could be a Shattuckite Chrysocola.

• Kaylyn says:

This stone could be green lapis as well. Chilean lapis can be a swirled green like that.

• Lori says:

You may all be correct. I found this info: “The rich greens of eilat stone comes from it being a unique combination of various copper-bearing minerals including chrysocolla, malachite, azurite and turquoise.”

• Kathy Joyal says:

It could be Ruby Zoisite but without any red parts.

• Diane says:

I agree with it being chrysocolla or a mix of chrysocolla and malachite.

• Marily says:

I am selling a vintage Chrysocolla ring my Dad polished years back, in my Etsy vintage shop. The ring is definitely more blue-dark turquoise in color than green and does not look at all like your stone. Although your stone does not have banded markings one usually sees in malachite, it still looks like Malachite to me.

Do you have any rock shops (or clubs) in area where you could take to identify? Maybe you could take a photo and send to an on-line rock and gemstone site and they could tell.

• My initial thought was eilat stone along with others who have already commented, but since it has a southwestern setting it may well be something similar like the chrysocolla.

• Carolyn says:

I don’t know anything about an Eilat stone, but it is not like any Malachite that I have ever seen.

• It’s possible to be a very beautiful type of jasper, I think Kambaba Jasper, the combination of colours, the swirls. I can’t put here a picture of this stone – Kambaba Jasper, but it seems to be this kind of gemstone.

• Mojgan says:

Malachite

• Deborah Rodriguez says:

I suggest looking up Google images of Larimar and see if you find any resemblances. Due to colors not being represented the same from computer monitor to monitor, you may see more similarities to one type of stone or another because you actually have your stone to view directly.