How do You Wear Jewelry When You’re Wearing a Face Mask?

by Rena Klingenberg.

How do You Wear Jewelry When You're Wearing a Face Mask? by Rena Klingenberg  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

How do You Wear Jewelry When You’re Wearing a Face Mask? by Rena Klingenberg – Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

Bracelets and rings are easy enough to wear when you have to wear a face mask.

But when it comes to necklaces and especially earrings – things may by a bit more tricky.

Please share whether (or how) you have worn various types of jewelry while wearing a face mask.

Rena Klingenberg

• Becky Buchanan says:

I love my dangling earrings, I now make sure I use ear nuts to secure them so the mask doesn’t accidentally pull one out. When you mask up, make sure your earrings are not tucked in. We want them to swing free.

• H.knott says:

Sadly, one thing we don’t realize, is that some styles of rings should NOT be worn during the pandemic, as their intricate designs can harbor germs and bacteria even after thorough hand washing.

• Betsy says:

Oddly enough, earrings work really well for me. I have small ears and have trouble keeping a mask on. Dangling earrings give me a little help in that department. Leverbacks are great as I don’t have to worry about the backs falling out.

• Debra Lowe says:

With half our face covered, necklace and earrings are the only way left to individualize ourselves. Rings are germ collectors and they rip the latex gloves. Necklaces are visible and un-obstructive and let me feel a bit more fashionable.

• Jennifer Parsons says:

I worked in surgery as a nurse anesthetist and wore masks every day, wearing jewelry was never a problem. Masks with ties are the best to wear, they don’t interfere with earrings, I prefer dangle type but studs work well too. There are masks that have only one elastic band which goes around your head thus do not cause a problem with your ears. Necklaces aren’t a problem either, I prefer a mid length necklace and a necklace will draw the eye down from the mask.

• Diana M Pucci says:

I Plan on adding a small brooch or more to my one of my masks, sealing the holes with either fabric glue or fabric dimensional paint. On another I want to fabric paint decorative designs and add plastic rhinestones to the pattern, using dimensional fabric paint. These will be washable masks of course. Been too busy with time sensitive garden work to do it yet. Still using the disposable surgical masks for the moment. I have a nice double fabric pattern with pocket for a filter, though I am not sure it will be necessary with the tight woven fabric double layer.

I do wear dangle earrings and find the elastic goes around them without a problem. Brooches as a general rule are my favorite piece of Jewelry after earrings, not much of a necklace wearer. I put brooches on coats, scarves, hats and when I have a matching pair wear them on sleeves and collars of shirts. Many pendants can be used to make brooches, just a thought for those who specialize in pendants.

I think masks are here to stay and we should find ways to make them a fashion statement, beyond the kitty and dog pictures and the funny lips being sold. Masks are a Jewelry opportunity in terms of a new accessory. Imagine glamorous masks to match all your other accessories, while being CDC compliant.

• Carol says:

I still wear my earrings – I’m just careful they don’t get hidden beneath the mask or fly off when the mask is removed.

• Laurel says:

Sadly, I haven’t worn jewelry more than a few times since March. I’m mostly living in my walking clothes or pajamas!!!

• Barbara Evans says:

I feel naked without my earrings but some of them do not get on well with masks, so I have been decorating my fabric masks themselves with flat washable fabric flowers. Tiny clusters of beads make good centers as do buttons. If possible, it looks best to sew the flowers on the front before sewing that to the lining piece. My next one is going to have a pattern of beads on one side instead of flowers. The decorations turn not-so-special masks into ones that look special, and people do notice.

• Margaret says:

I am wearing long drop earrings. My necklaces too. The mask goes over my ears and leaves my earrings untouched. Taking it off is a bit tricky but I’m coping. I’m still getting compliments on my jewelry so people are still noticing it.

• Mary says:

You took the words right out of my mouth! People are making serious cash with masks. Until we get a vaccine, masks are here to stay. They van be made into accessories of beauty with jewelry. Fastening the mask to my hair could be an exotic creation (and get the damn thing off my ears)! 🤣

• Mary says:

Would LOVE to see pics Barbara!

• Chris H says:

I would say, look to cultures where woman wear fave coverings regularly to see what jewelry and how it is worn for ideas. Just a thought as a starting off point. I would think that painting the surface of your mask or adding beads and gems hinders and reduces the space the air has to use to get to your lungs.

• Louise says:

I haven’t worn any jewellery at all since lockdown and don’t bother with makeup either because you can’t see much of my face but a friend did ask me to make beaded masks, so maybe that’s an idea 😁

• Diana M Pucci says:

Great idea, we can get fantastic inspiration from other cultures.

There is plenty of mask to decorate with or without paint and not block the area where we breathe. However, someone I know, who makes masks for the hospitals says, the masks should not be pierced, saying that the holes could be a route for virus’ to enter, that is why I plan on sealing any holes with fabric glue or paint. If I were to sew something on, or adhere rhinestones with mounts rather than dimensional fabric paint, only the pinholes would be sealed not the entire mask. I don’t think those who are breathing impaired would be buying masks, decorated or not.

I also found out the hard way not to do too thick of a fabric. I tried stretch denim double layer, with a pocket for a filter, LOL too thick! filter not necessary. Perhaps denim single layer with a light weight fabric back, though, to my mind, a single layer with no back would be sufficient. 😊 Working too much on my garden to make another, so far.

• Melissa says:

Not much jewelry going on here. The other day I put on a bracelet with my new work wardrobe of tunic and leggings and my husband called me “dressed up!” Woot!

• Awesome, Melissa! 🙂

• Liz says:

I guess I’m pretty lucky. I live in Camrose Alberta Canada and I have not had to wear a mask yet. Almost no one here has. 🤔

• Liz, that sounds lovely. Keep on staying healthy! 🙂