Fees for Teaching Jewelry Classes at a Retail Store – How Are They Split?

by Nita Bourne.
(Enterprise, Alabama, USA)

Fees for Teaching Jewelry Classes at a Retail Store - How Are They Split?  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

I’ve been approached by a local retail store to teach a basic jewelry making class in her store.

Not only is she providing the location, she’s also furnishing all the supplies.

What percentage of the class fee should I expect?

I read one article where the the class fee was $35: the store kept $10 and the instructor kept $25, but in this example the instructor provided all the tools and materials.

I haven’t been able to find any examples where the store provided everything.

Does anyone have any experience in a situation like this?

My thought is a 50/50 split.

Thank you for your help.

Nita Bourne

• Sheryl says:

I would suggest that the store keeps the cost of supplies and then split the rest 50/50.

• Mary K says:

Where I teach the store gets the cost of the supplies and I get my fee which I set for each class

• Every place I’ve taught is different and I’ve been on both sides of the table, i.e. as the instructor and as the student. Don’t guess; ask the store how they do it:

Find out how they attract and sign up students. Are you expected to also advertise through your own social media venues? In which case, you need to get their poster/advertising to use in your postings.

Will you be paid a flat rate for the class or will it based on the number of students? Have they (or you) set a minimum number of students below which the class will not run? If your pay is based on the number of students you need to know this, otherwise you’ll have prepped and travelled and set up for just one student (or no students).

How long is the class? One hour? One and a half, two hours? What if you run overtime by student request? How much drive time will you need to get there?

What about no-shows? Will you still get paid for them?

I’ve been that one student who showed up out of four no-shows. On the one hand it’s nice to have the undivided attention, but unfortunately for the instructor she had to drive an hour in rush hour to get to the store on time, and then she complained to ME the whole time about how not worth doing a class for one student it was. (When stuff happens, please be professional!)

Depending on the technique you’re teaching, you may also need to set a maximum number of students. If it’s a complicated technique, you may need to charge more for the class to make up for the low(er) class size.

So far, I’ve made up and supplied all materials and class notes, and I set the kit fee which I collect separately in class. Since I teach variations on the same techniques three times a year, it’s become easier to put together the kits, and I don’t need to rewrite the class notes either — just hit “print”.

There are probably more questions I would ask, but it depends on the individual venue/store and the particular skill and level I was to teach. The important thing is to get it all out in the open ***before*** you start the class.

Barbara MacDougall

• Nita Bourne says:

• Nita Bourne says:

Thank you for sharing. You’ve given me a lot to think about.

• Nita Bourne says:

• Linda Carman says:

I teach at an Art Gallery, so I provide wire, a variety of beads, handouts and tools to use. I drive an 1-1/4 hours each way. I charge $45 per student. I will show for one student, even though my gas is like $17 and I pay the Gallery $5 for use of the classroom, figure I am still making about $20 an hour. I will stay late if needed. There is not a store.

It isn’t all about me. I feel the customer will come back because you showed up and you made them feel important and valued them.

Now if a bad coastal storm is coming in or our dicey winter driving I contact them and they want the class that day, but chances are they don’t want to leave their cozy homes anymore than I do. So we work it out.