Ear Ornaments for Non-Pierced Ears

by Nancy Vaughan.
(San Diego, CA)

Ear Ornaments for Non-Pierced Ears by Nancy Vaughan  - featured on Jewelry Making Journal

A fancy ear wrap

Most of the earrings I make are for pierced ears. I can’t wear my own earrings because I don’t have pierced ears. Undoubtedly some of the other jewelry artists who visit this site don’t have pierced ears either.

Clip on or screw back ear rings are an alternative solution but they won’t stay on my ears. Several years ago I found ear cuffs.

A plain ear cuff

Eventually I learned to make my own and I wear them on special occasions. Problem solved. They can be as fancy or as plain you want. However, if you want really fancy ear ornaments check out ear wraps on YouTube. You will be amazed at what you find.

A fancier ear cuff

If you decide you want to make an ear wrap they aren’t too difficult. The biggest problem I’ve found is fitting them to the ear especially if it is your own ear. Next time you need a challenge make your self a fancy ear wrap.

Nancy Vaughan

• Rena Klingenberg says:

What beautiful styles for people who don’t wear pierced earrings, Nancy! I especially like the design in photo 1 that’s made to wear over the top of the ear. Most earrings are made for pierced ears, and it’s nice to see these artistic non-pierced choices.

• Judy Bjorkman says:

Thank you, Nancy, for your comments and photos! I do not have pierced ears and find the screw-backs and clamps to be painful to wear. I make and wear my own style of finding and will try to write it up and send it here (when I have time!). It’s not a big seller, but I love them!
    –Judy Bjorkman

• Glenda Munguia says:

What a great idea, thank you for sharing. I have pierced ears but I’ve been thinking about making these.

• Judith says:

Thank you Nancy. I too do not have pierced ears. I actually started making earrings so that I’d have some to wear. Ear cuffs do not always stay on my ears but I do like them. Clip ons can be uncomfortable. I will check out You Tube for more ideas. I have tried every metal known for piercing and my ears do not heal.

• Rita Muller says:

Beautiful! I have made several ear cuffs in all sizes from simplest to more complex, and I love them all. Rena, it’s all you fault, lol. Rena got me started making these with her tutorial on ear cuffs and I still get the most compliments on the cuffs I’ve made from her tut. Thank you Rena! Oh, and I have 3 holes in my ears, so cuffs aren’t just for those without piercings. Thank you for sharing Nancy. I hope everyone has as much fun making ear cuffs as we do. Give ‘em a try.

• Rita, thank you so much! 😀

• Nancy Vaughan says:

Thanks for the compliments, Rena. I’ve been trying different gauges of wire to find the best one. I have all of these ear wrap frames laying around in my work room. They look like weird little skeletons.

• Nancy Vaughan says:

Thanks Judy. It’s nice to know that others need alternatives for ear rings. I’d love to see your solution.

• Nancy Vaughan says:

Thanks Glenda. Give it a try. It can be a bit frustrating to fit to your own ear but if you have the ear of a handy friend things are a lot easier.

• Nancy Vaughan says:

You are very welcome, Judith. I hope you will try the ear wraps. If you are in need of Fancy you can certainly get it with ear wraps.

• Nancy Vaughan says:

You are welcome, Rita. I agree making ear cuffs can be lots of fun and aren’t too difficult.. At first the ear wraps seem to be quite easy but looks can be deceiving. The shapes aren’t too hard to make but spacing the loops and fitting them to the ear can be a real pain in the wazoo.

• Jean Forman says:

These are so lovely and solve a common issue. So many people don’t have pierced ears! I will have to research how to create ear cuffs for my customers. Do you have any suggestions where to look for tutorials?

• Hi Jean, I have 2 different ear cuff tutorials that may help you:

Wire Ear Cuff with Changeable Dangles Tutorial

Metal Ear Cuff Dangle Tutorial

Hope these help. 🙂

• Elizabeth says:

What a fantastic idea! Never would have thought of this in a million years. The earrings are gorgeous, too! Thank you!

• Jean Forman says:

Thanks, Rena! I will check these out.

• Rita says:

Watch out Jean because they’re addictive, lol. I have a whole draw full of them and most made from Rena’s wire ear cuff with changeable dangle tut. I’ve experimented with different gauges and had great results. Some of my favs I’ve made with 24 gauge fine silver and wear without dangles. Happy bending!

• laurie says:

awesome. I really like the one with the chains.

• Laurie, thank you! 🙂