Covid-19, and How Should We Clean the Jewelry We Intend to Sell or Give?

by Natalie.

Covid-19, and How Should We Clean the Jewelry We Intend to Sell or Give?  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

Because jewelry is worn against the skin, my jewelry consumers (and my friends and family) might be concerned about how I clean my jewelry, and if it’s safe to wear it.

What would be the best way to clean the jewelry I want to sell or give to people?

Also what would be the best way to let the potential jewelry wearers know that I clean the jewelry, and how I do it?

Thanks so much.

Natalie

• Marcia Lee says:

Everything I see says the best way to clean is with soap and water. Alcohol might be okay, but vinegar would probably affect the metals.

• Betty says:

The ultraviolet device that is used to sterilize cell phones, keys, mask, etc. is large enough for most jewelry. I’ve ordered the UV Wand for my bold statement jewelry.

• Betty, could you let us know how that works for you?

• SJ says:

Would the uv light I use to harden my resin pieces work as well?

• I think it’s most important to detail your overall practices for self isolation, who has access to your studio, etc. If you are going out in public frequently, particularly without a mask, what disinfectant you dip your jewelry in before you package it is irrelevant. I have a statement on my website explaining that I am thoroughly self isolated, and am the only one allowed into my studio. In theory, the two or three days that my packages are in transit would mean that any virus that could originate from me would be gone anyway. If people are worried about what virus the packaging might have picked up from postal workers, they can wait additional days to open the box.

• Jane Jennngs says:

Silver dip for tarnish removal, and dish soap and water after, to remove any leftover chemicals.

• Elizabeth Reid says:

Thanks for asking the question. Hadn’t thought about this and am ready to send a couple bracelets to some 10 y.o. cousins!

• Melinda says:

Current science info states that the Covid virus only survives for a specific time on hard surfaces. I just read info sourced from Canadian government and it states in regards to how COVID-19 survives on surfaces…

“This may vary under different conditions such as surface type, relative temperature or humidity of the environment. The virus has been detectable up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel.”

If a piece is wrapped or put in a plastic bag etc and 2-3 days passes either by delivery or pick up…according to most recent info, the item inside will be Covid-free. Always consult legitimate government health info sources for up to date, correct information.

I would do the same for any piece of equipment that claims to disinfect an item. From my limited knowledge, a specific strength or type of UV light has to be used for disinfection. I recommend thoroughly investigating before purchasing something that is advertised to destroy the COVID-19 virus.

• Melinda, thank you so much for sharing this information.

• Ingrid says:

I wonder how the world survived with all the bugs that have been known before covid-19?
    ….we can do a lot to keep everything clean that goes out to customers and for self-preservation but don’t forget that in general we also need all sorts of bugs to strengthen our immune system!

• Vallie says:

I always keep alcohol prep pads available near my earring displays and mirrors and a mini trash container. I have gotten many positive comments from customers. I also keep Lysol and frebreeze near check out.

• Diana M Pucci says:

You can google the information as to the UV needed to disinfect and to cure resin. There are a lot of different types of UV lights out there, some are LED some fluorescent. To determine if your light will be suitable you must know the UV specifications of your light, what frequency it emits the UV in, then you can compare the frequency on a UV chart to see if it is in the disinfection range. There are also various kinds of resin and each may use a different frequency to cure. Sun light is supposed to kill COVID-19. I wonder if you could bag it then place in it in the sun for a few hours? With that said, all the suggestions on here, so far, are good.

• Trish Lochnicht says:

I’m planning to go back to farmers market next. Saturday, and was planning to ask people to use sanitizer before touching items, and spraying with Lysol before packing up. Does this sound good?