Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring (Tutorial)

by Rena Klingenberg.
Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

You can make this wrapped, stacked wire ring project either with or without a bead, and it’s lovely both ways.

Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Although it looks like a complicated design, it’s actually quite easy to make.

Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

The secret is to make a handful of simple wire rings, then stack them up and bind them together at the bottom.

Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Supplies:

• 5 pieces of wire for the simple stacking rings:
    Use round soft wire in 16, 18, or 20 gauge. I used 18 gauge copper.
    Length: Each piece of wire should be the circumference of the middle knuckle of the ring-wearing finger, plus 3 cm.

Example: If the middle knuckle of your ring finger measures 5.5 cm, add 3 cm for a wire length of 8.5 cm.

• 1 piece of wire that’s 9 cm long, for binding the stacked rings together:
    Use round soft wire in 18 or 20 gauge. I used 20 gauge copper.
  • Wire cutter.
  • Round nose pliers.
  • Flat nose pliers.
  • Chain nose pliers.
  • Ring mandrel (or other sturdy cylinder that’s about the circumference of your finger).
  • Plastic or nylon jewelry hammer for shaping your ring around the mandrel.

Optional:

• One bead for a focal element on your ring.
    My green bead is Czech glass, 6 mm round.
    My coffee-and-cream bead is Czech glass, 10×6 mm flat rectangle.
  • 1 piece of wire 15 cm long, to make an additional simple stacking ring that will add your bead to the main ring.
    Use round soft wire in 16, 18, or 20 gauge. I used 20 gauge copper.
    Make sure you can fit this wire through the hole in your bead.

How to Make the
Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring:

We’ll start by making the five simple rings that will be stacked up to create the main ring.

Cut your five pieces of wire.

Each wire should be the circumference of your ring-wearing finger’s middle knuckle plus 3 cm.

My wires are 8.5 cm (to create a finished ring size 7):

Wires for Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Now pick up one of those wires, and use the tips of your round nose pliers to make a small loop at one end of the wire:

Making a wire loop for Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Use your flat nose pliers to straighten and flatten the loop:

Flatten and straighten your loop for Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Now your wire should look like this:

Wire for Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Make a loop at the other end of your wire, with the loop facing the opposite way from your first loop.

Your wire should now look like this:

Wire with loop at both ends for Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Make loops the same way on each end of your other four wires.

Now you should have a pile of 5 wires with loops at the ends:

Wires for Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Pick up one of the loop-ended wires you just made, and lay it across your ring mandrel.

Sometimes after wrapping your wire around the mandrel, the wire “springs back” a little, making the ring a larger size.

So you may want to use one size smaller on the ring mandrel than you want the finished ring to be.

For example, my finished ring will be size 7 – so I’m placing my wire on ring size 6 on the mandrel:

Ring mandrel for Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Wrap both sides of your wire all the way around the mandrel, with a little gap between the wire loop ends.

Use your plastic or nylon hammer to pound your looped ends nicely around the mandrel’s curve.

Then slide your ring down the mandrel to your desired finished size to make sure it’s a good fit there:

Ring mandrel in Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Repeat this process with each of your other four wires.

Now you should have a pile of 5 simple rings:

Rings to stack up for Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

OPTIONAL:
Add a Bead to Your Ring:

If you want to add a bead to your finished ring, we’ll make an additional simple ring with your bead on it.

Thread your 15 cm wire through your bead, so that the bead is at the midpoint of the wire.

Now fold the wire ends down toward the underside of your bead.

The wires should cross each other at the bottom side of your bead:

Adding a bead to Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Continue folding the wires around the underside of your bead until they lay flat across the bottom of the bead:

Adding a bead to Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Now let’s form these wires into a ring around your mandrel.

Use the mandrel’s mark for one ring size smaller than you want your finished ring to be.

For example, my finished ring will be size 7 – so I’m using ring size 6 on the mandrel.

With the underside of your bead pressed against the mandrel, wrap the wires firmly around the mandrel until the wire ends point upward on each side of the bead:

Adding a bead to Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Slide your bead ring down the mandrel to your desired finished size.

Now use the tips of your round nose pliers to turn the bead ring’s wire ends into loops or spirals:

Adding a bead to Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Now you can continue on with the next step.

It’s time to put all of these simple rings together to create the wrapped, stacked ring.

Stack your simple rings together, in whatever order you like:

Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

If you made a simple ring with a bead on it, you may want that one in the middle of the stack.

Slide the rings around and arrange the loops into a nice pattern on the top and sides.

It’s perfectly fine if the loops and shanks layer over each other in some places – it adds depth and interest to the design.

Now use your 9 cm piece of wire to bind the stack of rings together at the bottom:

Binding wire at the bottom of Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

After every wrap of your binding wire, use your flat nose pliers to squeeze the wrap down firmly into place.

When you’ve wrapped your binding wire several times around the bottom of the ring stack, trim the binding wire’s ends so that they’ll end up on the inside of the ring shank.

Use your flat nose pliers to squeeze the trimmed binding wire ends tightly against the ring shank, so they won’t scratch you when you wear the ring.

On the outside of the ring, your finished binding should look something like this:

Underside of Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Now your ring is finished!

If you made your ring without a bead, it will look something like this:

Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

If you made it with a bead, it may look something like this:

Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Wrapped Stacked Wire Ring - tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Want to Learn the Basics of
Designing Your Own Wire Jewelry?

Design and Make Artistic Jewelry Components Class In my Design and Make Artistic Jewelry Components video class, you’ll learn how to get great ideas for wire jewelry designs – and then follow my easy system for turning those ideas into successful pieces of jewelry.

By the end of this online video class, you’ll be designing and making your own artistic earwires, clasps, connectors, and pendant bails.

You’ll also learn my tips for making wire jewelry more easily, with more professional looking results.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Be the first to know the newest secrets
of making and selling jewelry...

free subscription to Jewelry Business Success News

Comments

1. Hi Rena,
    I love the tutorial so much – what an easy project… and how complicated the result looks 🙂
    Thank you so much for sharing! – I will use it for my lampwork beads.

2. Suzan Evans says:

Hi Rena
    This is a wonderful ring. Just want to ask if we are allowed to make them and sell them?

Thanks Rena
    Suzan

3. Hi Suzan!

All of my free tutorials that I post here on Jewelry Making Journal are for you to make these items to sell, to give, to wear yourself – to share and enjoy!

Many of these projects are jewelry items that have sold well for me, or that I feel would be good sellers – and I hope the jewelry you make from these tutorials sells like hotcakes for you!

Pinning my tutorials on Pinterest and sharing the links on Facebook, Twitter, etc. is very much appreciated!

My only restriction is that the full tutorial itself may not be republished, copied, or sold without written permission from me.

Thanks, and have fun! 🙂

4. Thank you, Marianne – your lampwork beads will be a lovely accent to this ring design!

5. carmen gonzalez says:

Thank you for sharing. Love the details that you provide to make this project seem so easy.
    Can you provide information as to where to buy supplies?

Thank you.

6. Hi Rena, thank you so much for this tutorial, and for all of your tutorials! Just one more question on ethics: would Pinning your tutorials on Pinterest be considered publishing? I want to make sure that no disrespect for your wishes and intellectual property takes place (I would like to Pin it). Thank you, Rena!

7. Hi Nata, thanks for your lovely message.

It’s perfectly fine (and very much appreciated!) if you pin my tutorials on Pinterest, or share the link on Facebook, Twitter, & other social media. 🙂

8. Hi Carmen! You can find wire, beads, and jewelry tools at most jewelry suppliers, bead shops, and many craft stores.

9. Love the simplicity and elegance of the design.

10. Hi Rena,
    What a simply fabulous design – thanks very much for the free tutorial. I was thinking that stacking the individual rings plus the wire wrap would actually reduce the size of the ring to some degree – is this so?

11. Thank you, Melody!

You’re right, the wire wrap at the bottom of the ring does reduce the ring size slightly.

However, since the 5 simple wire rings are basically open rings (not soldered shut), they’re easy to expand a bit if necessary after the wrapped stacked ring is finished.

I hope that makes sense. 🙂

12. Yes, that makes perfect sense – thanks!

13. Thanks so much Rena for sharing this awesome tute! I have been trying to dream up a new ring style, this is a wonderful design.

Happiest of Holidays to you and yours!

14. You’re pieces are always exquisite, Rena. Thanks so much for sharing.

15. This is so pretty, but I am confident mine would not come out nearly so neat! Thank you for the tutorial in any case. 🙂

16. Rena, your rings are extraordinary!! I don’t think I have the patience to do such small work, but believe me I appreciate the work you do!!

Wishing you An Extraordinary Day!
    ~Diane

17. This is so beautiful! Thanks for such a wonderful tutorial – I would love to try to make one.

18. Great tutorial, I’ve always wanted to make my own rings, but never find the time. I will have to pin this and use it when I finally have the gumption to do it!

Marissa

19. This is very pretty, and you are so talented!

20. Wonderful tutorial! I really like the depth of this ring. Very pretty. Thanks for sharing with us! I’ve pinned it.

21. Rena, I’m very nearly speechless- you make me think that I might be able to do this! Yours are stunning my friend. I look forward to seeing what else you have in store for us in the new year! xo

22. OMGosh I love this ring–from the picture I would never have guessed that it would be easy enough for a novice (me) to make, but I think it is! Your instructions and photos are just terrific–thanks for passing it all on. I’m going to pin this so I don’t “lose” the instructions!

23. This is one of my favorite designs of yours. Love this ring and your tutorial is so fabulous.

24. Your ring is gorgeous and I love all the details and the stone. Thanks for sharing how it was done. Lovely.

25. Awesome tutorial! My hubby helps me make beaded bracelets. I love to make jewelry! I see this in my future!

26. Rena,
    These are so beautiful and what a great tutorial.
    Have a great week.

27. Love it and pinning! Charlie

28. This is beautiful! It seems so simple – thank you for the great instructions.

29. this is beautiful! I like it best without a bead and just with the wire 🙂

30. What a gorgeous ring and you make it look so easy. Thanks for sharing.

31. I love it! Beautiful rings. Love the design work.

32. What a great tutorial! The time and patience it must take, wow! I’m gonna pin this one on our board!

Shelly

33. Wow those are gorgeous, I can’t believe you made those yourself!!! Great tutorial too.

34. Beautiful! Great tutorial. I feel like I could make one for myself.

35. Wow Rena! These are really amazing. I am floored by your creativity, the professional look of them, and most of all by you sharing with everyone!

36. You are amazing, Rena.

37. Nice!

38. I was Googling something else and found this tutorial. I may even give it a try! Thank you!

39. This is a gorgeous ring! I look forward to creating some. Thank you so much for sharing your creativity!

40. Alice Olsen says:

I just love your newsletters. I’ve only received a few since I just signed up to receive them. I think you are so wonderful to share all of your fantastic creations. Thank you so very much. You are so generous. I have found so many articles that will inspire me to get with the program and use your techniques for some of my own designs.

41. Thank you, Alice, for your lovely comment! That’s wonderful to hear. I’m glad you joined us here, and that you’re finding so much inspiration! 🙂

42. Paula J Countryman says:

I love this tutorial and I especially love copper wire. My other favorite is brass.

43. Laura says:

I love this tutorial!

Thank you for sharing!

44. Tara Myers says:

Thanks Rena. I had a bead that was pretty big and needed a good ring setting. I don’t see where I can post a pic of how it turned out but will post on my FB page. I appreciate the tutorial 🙂

45. Tara, it sounds like the bead makes it a really fab ring! I’d love to have you post it here at JMJ, if you like:
    Submit a Post.

46. I love this easy-to-make-but-looks-complicated design! It’s really beautiful. I’ve been practicing my wireworking skills lately & rings in particular. Can’t wait to try this! Your tutorials are the BEST I’ve come across on the web. Planning on taking your online courses in the future. Thanks a BUNCH!!

47. I just subscribed to your newsletter and i’m sooo happy I did. Your tutorials are so easy to understand. I’ve just spent the last 2 hours going through your tutorials i’m so excited to start making jewelry. Thank you so much for the free newsletter 🙂

48. Heidi, thank you for your lovely comment! So happy to hear how you feel about the tutorials and newsletter. Have fun diving into the world of making jewelry – it’s addictive! 🙂

49. Carol Claytor says:

Rena, I love all your tutorials and have made a number of them. I read in one comment that it’s ok to sell items made from your tutorials – Yea!. My question is do you coat your copper jewelry with anything after you’ve finished your design? Issues with turning fingers green. What would you suggest? Thanks for all you do.

Share Your Thoughts