Make This Simple Bead and Wire Pendant (Video)

Jewelry and Coffee with Rena
Video Episode 13

by Rena Klingenberg.

Watch me make this simple bead and wire pendant:

The Secret of Why
This Pendant Design Sells So Fast

simple wire pendants

The simple bead and wire pendant project I make in this video. (The one I created in the video is the round green one at bottom right.)

Put out a variety of pendants in all sizes and colors, made with this simple little wire design – and watch people flock to them.

The wirework is so simple that it doesn’t detract from the focal bead.

And people like having that little bit of a handmade touch on a pendant that’s cool, unique, and in one of their favorite colors.

Simple Bead and Wire Pendant Tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

The simplicity of this design makes it perfect for nearly everyone – guys and gals of any age.

As I show in the video, you can make one of these pendants in just 3 minutes – so you can even let people choose their bead, and then make their pendant while they watch.

(Important: You’ll need to have a helper in your booth if you’re going to make jewelry at a show.)

bead and wire pendant by Rena Klingenberg

Bead and wire pendant by Rena Klingenberg (the pendant you watched me make in the video)

The Jewelry Rena’s Wearing
in This Video:

Jewelry Rena's wearing in this video

Earrings: “Old Soul” vintage faceted lucite drops with 14k gf wire, by Jen of Jenuinejewels.

Pendant: Serpentine jasper with copper wire, made by Rena Klingenberg during this video.

Want to Learn the Basics of
Designing Your Own Wire Jewelry?

Design and Make Artistic Jewelry Components Class In my Design and Make Artistic Jewelry Components video class, you’ll learn how to get great ideas for wire jewelry designs – and then follow my easy system for turning those ideas into successful pieces of jewelry.

By the end of this online video class, you’ll be designing and making your own artistic earwires, clasps, connectors, and pendant bails.

You’ll also learn my tips for making wire jewelry more easily, with more professional looking results.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Be the first to know the newest secrets
of making and selling jewelry...

free subscription to Jewelry Business Success News

Comments

1. I often find larger pretty beads like this at bead shows and I think they would make simply elegant pendants, but I always doubt whether they would sell or not. This is giving me a little inspiration to try it. Do you include cords or chains for sale with them or separately or do you just sell the pendants?

2. I love these simple pendants especially with larger stones that speak for themselves. Less is definitely more in this case. They appeal to a wide audience as well. Men, young people and many women often want to wear something casual that looks great with just about anything. Another great thing about these pendants is that they can be produced quickly and that transfers to cost so everyone can afford something!!

3. They are beautiful. I love the ease that they can be made too. So far no one asked you how much you charge?
    Bev

4. I too sell a lot of similar pendants. Gretchen, they sell like hotcakes. People buy them by the handful. I display pendants only on plates or in bowls (color coordinated to the booth display of course) and pendants with cords on a hanging display. Hands-down, the best sellers are the pendants without cords. I do sell leather cords, SS chains etc… separately as well. People love to pick through the plates, bowls, boxes (I believe that was one of Rena’s tips) for that “special” piece. While I love my elaborate, time-expensive designs the best, these pendants (and earrings – another Rena tip) make the difference between ok sales and fantastic sales for sure.

5. Cindy, thank you for the input. I have been considering doing a few pendants so I think I might try it and see how it goes. Currently I sell all of mine on chains or cords and so often I lose sales because a person doesn’t like the chain or cord and they don’t want me to bother taking the necklace apart and selling just the pendant even though I’m willing to do that.

6. Thank you for the instruction on wiring a pendant, Rena. I have a big craft show coming up and I will add wire wrapped pendants to my inventory, and sell them individually, rather than on a cord–great idea! I am already planning to sell my handcrafted polymer clay pendants both individually and on cords at the show–this is a first for me (usually I sell fully made pieces with cords, chains or on beaded necklaces). I’ll let you know how it works out!
    Thanks again!
    Sandy

7. Hi
    Nice video Rena, and is giving all of ideas! I also struggled with my coin jewely including a chain or not… Finally found it was better to sell without. I keep a display of attractive chains and satin cord that I get wholesale for a very good price. I offer a chain/cord of their choice from that rack for free as a bonus, or $5 off any of my other chains. Since it is a “value added” offer, I don’t take any money off the coin pendant if they don’t want a chain. Whether they get a chain or not, my customers seem very happy with the arrangement. Definately a win-win situation, and as a bonus my display looks nicer too.

8. Lynn Ballinger says:

Soooooo, what is the price point for these? I have no idea……$10, $20, $30??

9. Just thought I’d give a positive update. I had a big sale yesterday. We had 3 cruise ships in town. I had the best sale day of my career so far! I had to empty out my bowls of pendants so people could use them as baskets to hold the pendants they wanted to buy. They were buying $100-$250 at a time. I had made extras starting to gear up for Christmas. People could see my box full behind the counter and were coming around and going through it.

I sell them for $15 – $40 (I use sterling silver wire for the bails and I buy stones wholesale) depending on the stone and how elaborate I get with the bail. But the $15 – $20 ones with a similar bail to Rena’s are the biggest sellers. I too sell them without chains, will sell chains and cords separately if needed. I sell about 2 cords a day. I also make my big fancy necklaces in such a way that the pendant can be taken off to wear separately or I’ll sell them separately. This has also been working well.

Thank you Rena for the forum and all the help!

10. Cindy, thanks for the exciting update on your fab results!!! I love your strategies for pricing and putting them out in bowls. Awesome!

And I’ve had the same experience as all who have found that selling the pendants without cords / chains works best.

You can easily have cords and chains alongside them as an add-on purchase, but most of my customers just want the pendant.

Love hearing about everyone’s experiences with making and selling pendants like these! 🙂

11. Very pretty – thanks for sharing. Joining from Inspire me Monday.

12. These are so pretty!

13. Those are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

14. Beautiful pendant and very well done video! As a customer, I love to purchase just the pendant. I’d rather put my money into an outstanding pendant! It’s easier to store without the chain and more economical to have only a few understated chains or cords.

15. All of the pendents are just gorgeous!

16. Hi Rena,

I just wanted to let you know how useful I find your tips – and this one was fantastic!

I’m having an Christmas Open House sale on the 1st December, and this will be a great addition – thank you for the tip.

I make many pendants, but I always provide the attachment, whether it be cord, silver, seed beads – this is such a great idea to just provide the finished pendant and let the customer decide on how it’s strung!

On a separate note – I’ve been reading your newsletters for a couple of years now, and I think that you’re fabulous!

All the best!

Yinka

17. Thanks for another wonderful tip!

18. Great tutorial! thank you for stopping by impatiently crafted sundays. hope to see you swing by again to post more projects 😉

19. These make me want to bust out my beading gear and make some beautiful pendants! These look great! Thanks for sharing!

20. Love the simplicity of these pendants! Can you please suggest a good brand of wire to use for this project? What I bought recently is way too soft and does not holds it’s shape. Thank you!

21. Thanks so much to all for your lovely comments! I hope you’re having fun making and selling these! 🙂

Cheryl, I used 20 gauge round copper wire in the video above. It’s just plain, regular copper wire – not coated wire nor Artistic Wire.

On other occasions I’ve made these pendants with 20 gauge round wire in sterling silver, Argentium silver, 14k gf, and brass.

I have not used Artistic Wire for this project; I think it would likely be too soft and not sturdy enough.

And as far as the gauge of your wire – 20 gauge makes a nicely sturdy pendant in this design, but of course the hole size of your pendant bead will also affect the gauge of wire you’re able to use.

22. Karine says:

What a great idea, they look elegant and efforthless. I will try this for my next show! Thank you Rena!

23. Thank you for the great tutorial! I just launched my fb page where I am selling jewelry. I don’t have any bestsellers yet but I will try making these pendants. They look wonderful. Thanks so much again!

24. Pia Bernardino says:

Rena, question please, how much are you selling the pendants for?

25. Hi Pia, my prices for these pendants have varied widely, depending on the metal and the bead I used in the pendant. I use my jewelry pricing formula to determine prices – and I found it’s a good strategy to have a variety of these pendants ranging from very low-priced to much higher priced, and in a variety of shapes, sizes, colors, and metals.

26. Hi Rena,
    Thank you! Your pricing formula is extremely helpful as I am just starting my business. I already have my fb page up and I am still developing my eCommerce site with the help of my husband who is a web designer/developer. May I please link your jewelry pricing formula in my site when it is up?
    Thanks. 🙂

27. Thank you, Pia, that would be lovely! And best wishes for your new website. 🙂

28. Niki Palomino says:

It is very beautiful. Your work inspires me.

29. These are great and easy to do, I made my daughter 5 of these in different stone. She loved them, and she is really picky.
    Patti

30. Hi Rena!

Love this! So simple and very beautiful!
    I am just getting started and when say getting started I mean I made one ring out of copper that my dogs have already made to scrap.

thank you so much for sharing this. I am now on journey to making wire jewelry and also adding you as a mentor.

31. hi Rena,
    I too want to thank you for sharing all your wonderful ideas. You make everything so effortless. I made a few of your creations. The zen necklace with matching earnings my best friend love. I cant wait to try this one. Like i said on my last post, I’m very new at this. I started creating my website but on hold right now. I need to take good pictures of my small creations & my delimma is pricing. Yes i will look into your pricing formula:) i have not sell any of my stuff yet. Mostly give away right now. My two best customers are my best friend & my daughter who is 16. Shes also my designer of some of my jewelry. She finds something she likes then she ask if i could make it.
    Again thank you! You are just plain awesome! Being new to Jewelry World Creations (never knew i had it in me) running into your website is a blessing.
    ~beth~

32. It is simple and it is beautiful, every one looks different so you could own a million of them – that is why they sell so well!

33. You make beautiful and professional looking jewelry. However, in this video your hands were more off screen than on. I couldn’t see the steps as you were explaining.

34. Rena, I appreciate you doing a video tutorial. I thought it was very well done. Hope to see more of them.

Nicole

35. Thank you for sharing that video freely and making your method available! I will definitely try this, I have some agates with fossilized coral in it, so will be testing our this soon!
    Erinn.

36. Jane Wallace says:

Hi Rena Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I am always looking for helpful hints and DIY tutorials. I have a lot of gemstone pendants that I now will be able to get ready for sale now. Keep sharing with us it is so kind and generous of you. You are a fantastic person!!!!!

37. Thank you, Jane! 🙂
    And thanks to all for your lovely comments!

38. Mari Chapa says:

where can I find unusual stones like this? I only find regular beads. Looking for theses and not-so-expensive stones/gems.

39. Where did you get The jasper used the Pendant ?

40. Thanks for asking, Wendy! It’s a bead I had in my stash for years, and I don’t remember now where it came from. But you can find lots of interesting and unique pendant-size jasper beads with an online search, or a search on Etsy.com – or at a bead show. I hope this helps! 🙂

41. Kate Gesick says:

Hello Rena,

Thanks for this awesome idea and great how-to video!
    I’ve been beading for about 10 years now and I am a serious bead-a-holic! I really enjoyed watching someone else’s way of doing things. It answered some questions for me.

I work at a local library–my dream job–and I’m setting up some beading classes. One request for a class was to use big chunky beads so your idea was perfecto!

I am just beginning to sell my jewelry. I will be doing a couple of local displays, shows. I will let you know what sells when I see how it goes. I’m a bit nervous about selling my jewelry with regards to the time involved. I’ll keep you posted on what seemed to move.

Thanks again!

Kate Gesick – Greeley, CO

42. Kate, thanks for your lovely comment – and I wish you every joy and success with your new jewelry activities! I’ll be interested to hear how it goes for you!

43. Donna J says:

Rena, those pendants are so simple, yet so gorgeous! I got excited when I saw this because I am fairly new to jewelry making and recently bought some focal beads like some of the ones you have displayed, but I wasn’t entirely sure what I was going to do with them!

44. Donna J, thank you for your lovely feedback on this tutorial. This is a fun and easy project, even if you’re new to making jewelry. I’d love to hear how your pendants turn out – and would love to see them if you’d like to share your work here! 🙂

45. Donna J says:

Quick question, Rena. When you finish the bail, does it have the same curve on the front and back of the bail? In other words, if you look at the bail from the side, is it symmetrical? I have made three of them (wish I could post pics, but I’m not sure how to). I like the look better if the bail is symmetrical, but mine don’t always come out that way and I end up doing them again.
    What hardness of wire do you use also. I think part of my problem is that my wire is too hard. I’m just starting out jewelry making, so the majority of my wire is purchase from Michael’s and the wire often doesn’t even have the hardness on the label.

46. Hi Donna J, thanks for asking! Yes, the “hole” part of the bail (where the cord or chain goes through) has the same curve on the front and back. However, it’s not really essential to have the front and back of the bail symmetrical. Because when you’re wearing the pendant on a cord or chain, it’s pretty hard to see both sides of the bail. What really matters is having a bail size that works with your cord / chain, and having a secure wire-wrap below the bail. As for wire gauge and temper – I usually use 20 gauge round soft or half-hard for these. With the wire from Michaels, you might contact the manufacturer (their info should be on the package) and ask whether the wire is soft, half-hard, or what. Or you might purchase your wire from a jewelry supplier, or from a seller on etsy.com – so you’ll know what kind of wire you’re using. Don’t be too hard on yourself, Donna J – enjoy creating with wire and your skills will develop as you go. 🙂

47. Donna J says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer a newbie! I love your site and look forward to your emails!

48. You’re very welcome, Donna J! And thanks! 🙂