Any Solutions for Fingertips that Keep Cracking?

by Susan Cowles.
(Palisade, Co.)

Any Solutions for Fingertips that Keep Cracking?  Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

Does anyone have the problem with their fingertips cracking?

I go thru a lot of band aids, hand cream and pain.

Any ideas?? Thanks!

Susan Cowles

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Be the first to know the newest secrets
of making and selling jewelry...

free subscription to Jewelry Business Success News

Comments

1. Hi Susan, my hands get extremely chapped, especially in the wintertime. I’ve discovered that using Vicks Vapo-Rub (or the dollar-store version of it) as a hand lotion helps tremendously. I rub a generous amount of it very well into my hands, fingertips, cuticles, and fingernails. If I put it on my severely chapped hands and leave it on overnight, my hands are smooth, soothed, and almost completely healed by morning. It also seems to soothe aching hand and finger joints. I hope this helps! 🙂

2. A dermatologist recommended using flax seed oil capsules to help heal from the inside out. Then I use O’Keefe’s working hands at bedtime each night. It is too heavy to use during the day. I can usually have my hands healed in 3 days. Filing down the crack with a nail file Wil keep it from splitting worse. Best of luck, I know how painful it can be.

3. Pamela S. says:

I’m a dog groomer so my hands are in water, shampoo and harsh cleaning products all day and I love to make jewelry too, so my hands really take a beating. I’ve used Neutrogena Norwegian Formula hand cream every night for decades and it works well. When my hands get really dry I add a few drops of Vit. E oil or a little liquid lanolin to the hand cream.

One of my clients told me he that if he gets a finger crack he lets it soak in a small jar of mayonnaise and it heals right up.

4. Hi Susan,
    Every winter my thumb (usually the right one) cracks, and if I ignore it, the crack gets deep enough to bleed. There are 2 things I can use after it cracks. One is New Skin, which you can find in the bandaids section of the store. It does take some time to dry, but works better than a bandaid. I keep reapplying it until the skin is pretty much healed. The second thing I can use is Super Glue. This also works well, and I reapply as needed until the skin heals. I do try to keep Vaseline rubbed well into the ends of my fingers and thumbs, but since I’m always washing my hands it wears off quickly. Sometimes I squeeze a gel cap or 2 of vitamin E and some Tea Tree oil into the vaseline container to help with healing.

5. Daisy says:

Something I have found invaluable is Lassars paste. It takes the pain away whilst healing the cracks. You can get it via Amazon or on the internet. It’s definitely worth a try!

6. Kathy Roeper says:

Okeefes hand cream. It is used by auto mechanics and wood workers. I found it at Home Depot

7. My thumbs also crack in the wintertime and I use a combination of Bag Balm (yes, for cow udders) at night and New Skin in the daytime. I also have tubes of hand cream everywhere – in both cars, pretty much in every room of the house and my purse – so I can put cream on whenever I feel the dryness creeping up.

8. Gloria M. Lewis says:

Pure African Shea Butter with a few drops of Lavender essential oil.

9. Barb Carpenter says:

Chap-stick rubbed on frequently throughout the day will heal them up and also will prevent future cracks if rubbed on problem spots. A woman carpenter kept telling me this and I resisted trying it for years; trying else first. Silly me! this worked best and was the least expensive.

10. Judith says:

Sewers who do a lot of hand sewing and creating have this problem also. I go along with Mimi on the use of a product called “Bag Balm” which can be found at fabric stores. It works for me.

11. Before you start using home remedies, please talk with your doctor. There’s a kind of eczema that affects the fingers called Hydrostatic Eczema that can make your fingers peel and crack painfully. There is a prescription topical lotion to use to help heal it.

12. Julie T. says:

My fingers get so bad a person asked me if I had a fight with a razor blade and lost! A pharmacist suggested New Skin or any form of liquid band-aid to keep the splits covered. Exposing the splits to air is what really makes them hurt; super glue seals them just as well.
    Also the chap stick (medicated one) works extremely well; pack it into the splits this will keep the air out and help expedite the healing.

13. I use nail file to file the crack down and body butter. But I have not found a 100 % fix to the problem yet. I will try all the tips given by you all. Thank you for sharing!

14. Michelle says:

Sounds crazy but banana peel. I rub the inside of the peel on my hands. Works like a charm.

15. Cynthia says:

I sometimes use chapstik (actually, Blistex) on my chapped, cracked fingers (and chapped nose, during a bad cold).
    Also O’Keffe’s “Healthy Feet” cream. It’s for cracked feet, so, why wouldn’t it work on cracked fingers, too? It does! You’ll find it everywhere, once you look for it – but always at Bed Bath & Beyond.

16. jennifer greene says:

I have used regular transparent tape. They(above) are right, its the exposure to the air that makes it hurt, its amazing how much better it feels just putting a layer of tape over the split. (better than bandaids)Just like the super glue or nu-skin, one may work better for you than another.

17. Rosanne says:

I saw the distinctive green containers of antiseptic Bag Balm in a quilters’ catalog about thirty years ago and have used it ever since for all my cuts, gashes, and cracked skin problems. Some people might object to the smell, but I consider that to be a small price to pay for relief from soreness and quick healing. It is marked for veterinary use only, which I have interpreted to include me. The active ingredients are listed on the tin and include a petrolatum lanolin base.

18. Stephanie says:

J use Corn Huskers lotion to help prevent that same problem. On the occasions when I have forgotten I use Bag Balm and a bandaid with silk tape to keep it on.

19. I have also filed the splits and I use Lipmedics by Blistex. I also use finger cots to protect the cuts when I work and sometimes at night.

20. Natasha Burger says:

treatment – crazy glue to hold things together and trim the ragged ends
    prevention – any kind of long lasting moisturizer you like – chapstick works

21. Jeannine says:

NexCare has a relatively new product called Skin Crack Care. I’m not sure what the difference is between it and New Skin, but it works. It is like a superGlue but not as sticky. It dries pretty fast and made my last winter much easier on my hands. There’s a lot of things on this page that I wish I had known.

22. Mine would crack so badly that the would bleed.– so I sympathize. A colleague of mine told me about acid mantle cream and, for me, it was a miracle. The next best thing is an old world remedy for dry hands: rub the freshly squeezed lemon juice and glycerin mixture into hands at bedtime. Cover hands with cotton gloves. I hope you find a solution.

23. Avon has this AMAZING product called ‘Foot Works’ maximum strength cracked heel cream – it is an external analgesic and first aid antiseptic that is not greasy and no noticeable smell. My husband and I use it for all our scrapes and small cuts. I think it would work really well for your cracked hands. Good luck and have a wonderful day.

Share Your Thoughts