Stretchy Bracelets – Has Anyone Used Fabric Covered Elastic Instead of Stretch Magic?

by Kathy Reading.
(Port Charlotte, FL)

Stretchy Bracelets - Has Anyone Used Fabric Covered Elastic Instead of Stretch Magic?  - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

For many years I have been making beaded bracelets on elastic cord, using Stretch Magic.

Since I have moved to Florida, I have noticed that the elastic cording turns yellow and stretches out, even on bracelets that have not been worn.

This is happening to the bracelets a couple of months after they were made.

I was wondering if anyone had used the fabric covered elastic that Beadalon makes for bracelets and what kind of success they had with breakage, knot tying, and stretching?

Kathy Reading
Catju Designs

• Barbara says:

Hi, Kathy, Have you pre-stretched the cord sufficiently before tying the knot? I live far, far north of Florida and I’ve noticed yellowing occurring on my unsold bracelets, as well, but that’s after a year of sitting on my table once a week (and between markets and shows they’re stored in covered bins). No one has come back complaining about bagged-out bracelets, though.

I think the yellowing is probably due to exposure to the air, so think ambient air pollution, changes in humidity, etc. I sell at a weekly indoor farmers market, and the amount of car exhaust that blows in from the parking lot outside is unbelievable.

I haven’t had any luck with fabric-covered elastic cords — they don’t have that “springiness” of Stretch Magic. Play with the two cords side by side and you’ll see what I mean.

• Kay says:

Yes but you need larger holed beads. It does look prettier when stretched.

• Moogie says:

I use a different stretch cord from Fire Mountain called Powercord. I find the 1mm to be excellent & holds its shape over time. It comes in clear and other colors. I do have some cord like hair ties are made of but haven’t tried it for stretch bracelets. I’ll make one today & see how it holds up😊

• Kim says:

I use Powercord too! I have found it to be the best of the many elastic cords I’ve tried. I make a LOT of stretch bracelets for a wholesale customer!

• Faith Evans says:

My initial endeavors using Stretch Magic always left me kind of hesitant for such reasons. The owner of a local bead store gave me a few tips (including pre-stretching). Now I use Dazzle-It Stretch Bead Cord – premium quality and am very happy with the results. I usually instruct people to roll it on also instead of pulling……Good luck with the trials.

• May I ask what size beads and cord you’re using? I use anywhere from 4mm and up. What do you recommend?

Congrats on your wholesale account! I’m going to be bold and ask how you got it, and if you set minimum orders.

Thanks!

• Barbara Evans, Ventura says:

Thank you all for the suggestions. I quit making elastic bracelets a couple of years ago after I sold two through a gallery and the Stretch Magic 1mm broke on both before the customer got them home! I’m going to try the Powercord, as my customers with arthritis in their hands love the stretchy bracelets. Rolling them on is an excellent suggestion.

• Kathy says:

Hi Barbara, yes, I stretch the cord but may not be doing it properly. I cut the length I need and then grab the middle and pull 5 or 6 times on the end, and then do that on the other side. Is that what you do? Thanks for your help.

• Kathy says:

Thanks, Kay. I think I’ll try it out and see how it works.

• Kathy says:

Thanks, Moogie. I will try the Powercord. Do you pre-stretch it before you use it?

• Kathy says:

Thanks, Faith. I think I’ll try the Dazzle-It also and see if there is any difference. Appreciate the response.

• Kathy says:

Thank you ladies for all the suggestions. I am going to try the different cords recommended, and also make sure that I am pre-stretcing the cord the correct way before I use it.

• thelma says:

I transitioned from stretchy bracelets to memory wire bracelets a few year ago. They are one size fits almost everyone and they do not break or lose their shape. I will cut the memory wire so that I have about one and a half to two inch overlap. It is easy to put on. I do have to watch the weight of the beads.

• Nancy Vaughan says:

Beadalon has a new multi strand stretch cord called Elonga. I have some but haven’t used it yet. A couple of others are Opelon from Bead Smith and Elasticity (I’m not sure who makes it.)

• Kathy says:

Good idea, Thelma. I will keep that in mind.

• Kathy says:

Thanks, Nancy. I’ll add these to my list of brands to try.

• Kathy says:

I’ll give it a try, Kim. Thanks for the info.

• Judy says:

I also switched to Powercord, and I grab the ends and stretch 10-12 times. It seems to hold up much better, and I generally use the 1mm size unless I’m using very small beads and then I go for a bit less heft. Good luck!