Leather Earrings, so Lightweight, so Popular and so Fun to Make

by DIANNA.
(Dover, OH)

Leather Earrings, so Lightweight, so Popular and so Fun to Make by Dianna  - featured on Jewelry Making Journal

Leather Tooled Earrings – Fun with Cutouts

There’s something earthy and organic about leather. I find leather to be such a forgiving media. It can be cut, tooled, molded, embossed, dyed, stained, painted and coated into so many designs.

Leather Tooled Earrings – Fun with Wet Molding

Leather is so lightweight and timeless. Artistically the possibilities are endless. There are many types of leather available. Veg tanned leather is my favorite.

Leather Tooled Earrings – Fun with Colors

These leather earring pieces were all made using veg tanned leather, a cutting die, then tooled, stained/painted, antiqued and finally, coated.

Leather Tooled Earrings – Fun with Neat-Lac

You can add wooden beads and just a touch of bling give your pieces an eclectic flair. There are so many videos and websites with helpful tips on how to get started into working with leather. Weaver Leather and Tandy Leather are two great places to start. WARNING!! Leather is quite addictive.

DIANNA
D4U Leather Jewelry

• Dianna, I love leather earrings too! So many ways to make them, as you showed here, and they’re not heavy. You’ve used leather in so many creative ways. It’s easy to see why you love working with it.

• Cindi Bernloehr says:

I love your detail with the tooling. The colors add a great dimension and pop. Can I ask what type of paint/inks you use? Also you said you cut them with dies, I have tried to find some with this detail if you can share who you use.
    Have you tried wetting the leather and running it through inside an embossing folder? It’s not as deep but a nice background.
    Thank you for sharing.

• Mary says:

Wow! I just love these! I have just started to experiment with leather, but I am frustrated with the embossing process. Would you be willing to share more about your process, i.e. what a cutting die looks like, the type of paint you use, etc.? Maybe another article further explaining the process? You do beautiful work!

• Mary Anne says:

Beautifully crafted. I can see you invested in some nice tools and finishes. The earrings are unique and artistic.

• DIANNA says:

Thank you for your kind words, Rena! And yes, leather pieces are so lightweight. Love Jewelry Making Journal! Keep being such a great source of inspiration!!

• DIANNA says:

Thank you so much Mary! I use a Sizzix machine and embossing folders to emboss my leather. It works best with veg tanned leather. The chromed tan not so much. If your leather is too difficult to run through your Sizzix machine, try using a different “sandwich” combination or thinner leather. Sizzix also has some cutting dies, but most have been discontinued. Similar styles are available on Ebay, Etsy and Amazon which some can be used on the Sizzix machine. Paints I use are Angelus and alcohol inks. Dyes and stains offer a much deeper longer lasting color. I would not suggest using paints on projects that will need movement, such as bracelets bending around your wrists as the paints can crack. Stains and dyes are best for that, but earrings aren’t usually bent to put on like bracelets. I should also mention the leather used is veg tanned, not chrome tanned. Good Luck and have fun creating!

• JBH says:

Beautiful leather earrings.

• DIANNA says:

Thank you Mary Anne!

• DIANNA says:

Thank you JBH!

• These are gorgeous. thanks for sharing. I never thought about all the possibilities with leather.

• Nancy Vaughan says:

WOW! Your designs are exceptional and the color and tooling make your ear rings spectacular!

• Ginny Sofran says:

your leather earrings are gorgeous & very unique

• DIANNA says:

Thank you Terri!! And yes, leather is a lot of fun !!

• DIANNA says: