Haggling with Jewelry Customers

by Marilyn Cardinal.
(Canada)

Haggling with Jewelry Customers by Marilyn Cardinal

I tell the customer I love negotiating.

I then up the price of the item by an equal amount to the requested reduction.

The customer chuckles and either buys the item or, wanders off.

This lets the customer know that you know your value, and the item will be purchased by someone else at the listed price.

Often, people haggle as a form of entertainment, or to exercise their need for ‘power over’ another.

If I have a customer who buys a fair amount, I often reduce the price at the till.

I keep the option of ‘goodwill’ up to me, and the customer sees this as a surprise bonus.

There are customers who buy often, and at times I give them a reduced price, but only when I know I am can still be looking after myself and my business.

Marilyn Cardinal

• Katie Murphy says:

Good w ay of going about it!

• Good one! Adding the demanded discount to my price! I’ll have to remember that. I’ve come to realise I don’t like it when people demand a discount. Who do they think they are???

Years ago, I learned to build in an up-to-30% haggling at the end of the day/good customer/fellow vendor price/store commission to every piece I put out on my table. (Allowing for a 30% discount does not mean adding 30% to my prices. It means adding 50%.)

What this does mean is I can — and do — give good customers a break or throw in a pair of coordinating earrings as a good will gesture (several pairs of which are always made up and ready to go with that necklace or bracelet), or round down a total by a few dollars if someone buys three or more items.

I’m never being put on the spot, and there’s the element of surprise and extra hit of pleasure that that gives to the customer especially when they’re not expecting it.

• Daisy says:

Made me smile 🙂

• Becky Clemmons says:

I design natural gemstone necklaces and pendants. Each one is totally unique as I never repeat a design. At my very first art show a customer was eyeing 2 of my pieces priced at $25 each, and then asked “Would you do $30 for the two of them?”. As if this was a garage sale! I simply said “no”!

• Debra Lowe says:

Two for $30.00, wow…”no” is the most polite answer I can come up with…customers that do not create, don’t understand how much goes into a handmade anything.

• Nata says:

You should have said, with an angelic smile, Yes, $30 for EACH! 🙂

• Nata says:

I like your thinking and self-respect very much, Marilyn! Thank you for a great lesson.

• Chris H says:

I did that once when selling a car. I just got fed up over the haggling of what was already a very good deal. The woman cussed me out, said she might have bought if I hadn’t done that etc etc etc. yeah right.

• Jean says:

No, thank you is my answer. It works every time .

• This is a great tip! I’m going to copy and adapt it, if that’s OK.

• Marilyn Cardinal says:

Hi Linda … Yes, no need to ask.

When I up the price by the requested discount, I first tell them I love negotiating, and I do it all with a smile. I don’t get up tight or indignant. The customer usually get’s it, and chuckles. If they want the item, they pay the original price. All in good humour.

I never defend my work to that which is factory made in some other country, and of lesser quality. Those who do buy from me understand about original & hand made. Those are the customers I value and I treat them with respect and appreciation.

Never want to sell something so bad, that you sell yourself out!